How many Oz of chicken is considered a proper serving?

Options
I'm new to the weighing things business and I can't seem to remember how many Oz of chicken! Oh, do I weigh the chicken before cooking or after? Thank you :)

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    For me, it's 3-4 oz. I weigh in grams though, so 100 grams is a serving (yes, I know 100 g |= 3 oz). I also weigh it raw and use the raw entry.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Most bagged chicken will list 3 oz/84g (cooked) or 4 oz/112g (raw) as a serving.
  • CaitR15
    CaitR15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! <3
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Depends how I'm feeling ;) sometimes I only want 3 oz. Sometimes I want 6.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I weigh raw. No idea what a "serving" is, but I'd eat anywhere from 150-300g depending on the meal and how many other meals I'd eaten that day
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Weigh in grams.

Your serving size is whatever you eat. I've never been fond of, nor do we really use over here, arbitrary serving sizes.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    For me, a serving size just depends. I can eat 3-8oz depending on what I'm doing.

I try to weigh raw but if I can't I just weigh it cooked and add an ounce. So if my cooked meat weighs 3oz I'll log it as 4oz. 6oz gets logged as 8oz.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Weigh it raw and portion size is whatever you choose. Personally, I often have 12 ounces or more. Most will probably have less.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 4-8 oz. I also weigh cooked and never gained weight or threw my calories off. When you weigh raw you lose half the volume due to water loss when you cook it. Also, a lot of shady companies plump their chicken with water too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A proper serving depends on your total calorie goal, your preferences, and what else you're eating for that meal and that day/week.

Weigh it cooked or raw, but log it accordingly (use the correct entry).