Marathon Runners / Endurance Athletes - How do you win the mental game?

Options
So next month I'm going to be doing my long-awaited goal of climbing Kilimanjaro. While I've worked hard to physically prepare myself, I know a lot of the climb is going to be mental. Particularly on summit night, I'm sure I will be needing to reach deep inside to find the will to keep going.

What are the techniques you use to fight the mental game when some part of you just wants to give up and call it quits?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions but want to wish you a good climb. I look forward to any pictures/stories you might share when you return.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing, something I do in cycling for climbs is to focus on what I can deal with. So it might be the next bend , tree, post etc. If it gets tough I will shorten the cocoa or goal to not as far so basically set mini goal and once Ive got all the mini goals I've climbed a mountain. I don't think of the whole climb if tough
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a long distance cyclist, and for me, I need to break the rides into shorter goals.

Once I've started a really long ride, I can't think about the total distance anymore or it feels way too daunting. Instead, I think about the next control which is usually approx. 75 km up the road. 75 km is a doable ride, so I tell myself that I'm just out for a 75 km ride. When I get there, I go the next 75 km ... and so on. Sometimes I have to break it down even more than that ... just getting into the next town maybe 20 km down the road.

The other thing is to eat and drink regularly. I find that if I get sloppy with that, it has quite an effect on my mental state.

For the really long rides, I need to be eating at least 200 cal/hour, ideally a bit more than that. And it needs to be a mix of carbs, protein, and fat. More carbs, but I need the rest too.

I also need to be drinking approx. one 750 ml bottle of water every 1 to 1.5 hours. And along with that, I need to be getting my electrolytes.

When I'm doing all that, I feel reasonably strong and in a decent state of mind.

However, sometimes, when we're riding through the middle of the night or dealing with long climbs or bad weather, I forget to eat and drink. Not only does my energy level drop but the dark thoughts start ... "I can't do this", "I feel sick", "What was I thinking even attempting this", "I want to stop".

When I start getting like that, my husband usually tells me to eat something ... and yes, it helps. :)

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Excitement will take you a long way. Starting a new adventure is always exciting. It gives you energy and strength beyond what you think possible. Believing your goal is worthwhile is also important. Knowing that you will be happier if you accomplish your goal than if you quit helps too. Sometimes you have no choice but to turn back, but if there is a choice, then thinking about how much you want to continue helps.

Also, take it a small chunk at a time. When I hiked the Appalachian Trail the first time, there were days when it seemed too hard and I didn't think I had the physical or mental ability to finish. So I told myself I would just continue until the next town, or the town after and that I would continue until it was absolutely impossible for me to keep going. Generally, by the next day my issue, whatever it was, was forgotten.

When I did my first marathon, I had been battling a hamstring strain for months, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to finish the race. I decided that I would run as far as I could, and then start walking. When I got in the final miles, when it was really getting hard, I would start counting down to the end, thinking about how long it would take if I ran it vs. walking it. 6 miles = 1 hour vs. 1.5. 4 miles was 40 minutes, or an hour if I walked. I wanted to be done. I didn't let myself think that I wouldn't finish, the only question was how long it would take. At the end, I was thrilled and happy and so proud of myself. I couldn't wait to go do it again.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You'll forget the pain in a week but keep the memories until you're old and senile.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You through it by focusing on what you have to. Maybe its finishing the next mile, or half mile or maybe just getting to the top of the next hill. When it really sucks you just focus on taking one step after another until you've reached your goal.

Pride comes from conquering something that is extremely difficult. If it was easy, everyone would do it.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    You'll forget the pain in a week but keep the memories until you're old and senile.

This. The pain will fade, but you will always have the memories of an awesome accomplishment that not many can say they've ever attempted. That in itself would keep me going, but then again, I'm stubborn as all hell. Either way, I wish you the best of luck!

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Just remind yourself the glacier wouldn't be around in a few years (or next) and keep going. Have fun and stay safe. I'm so jealous.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've never done mountain climbing so I can't give specific tips about that, but I do know a little bit about running. I have found that sometimes with shorter runs, I'm so focused on the fact that the run will end soon that I very easily get into an impatient "are we there yet?!" mode. With long runs, I can only be successful if I let my distance goals and my ideas of hitting the end mostly slip away into the background. The goals are of course still there and I need to monitor myself enough to pace/drink/eat properly for the distance and keep track of where I'm going.... but as much as possible I see myself as on a long journey that won't end anytime soon, so my best approach is to settle in and enjoy what's happening as being part of my "new normal" for a little while. Keep focused on what's right in front of me to accomplish and enjoy and go with the flow. A hill coming up, a fun downhill section, oh look a squirrel, boy that view is pretty, let my mind wander a bit. It can be quite therapeutic.

Occasionally I will slip out of this mode and start thinking about how nice it would be to curl up on the road/trail side and take a nap ha ha. Or get too focused on the tiredness in my legs and become obsessed with thoughts of stopping. Those are the hardest miles of all!! If I am picking up on a genuine injury or health condition developing then I definitely need to be smart about how to respond and to not just willfully push through. But if this is just a bit of mental/emotional fatigue setting in then I do try to shut that out and mentally change the subject. Focusing on something else other than my thoughts of quitting and body parts that ache can be helpful, like switching to my favorite song and just humming to the lyrics as I run...or turning on an interesting podcast or talk radio station.... pay better attention to my surroundings and my view....meditation on something monotonous like the sound of my feet hitting the ground or my breathing....anything to get me out of my head and banish thoughts of quitting. Usually once I get refocused on something else for a few minutes, my urge to quit calms down and I get back in the zone I was previously in.

Finally, I can often prevent those moments of misery where I want to stop if I have fueled myself properly, hydrated well, trained well (but not overtrained), paced myself well, gotten plenty of sleep and good nutrition in days leading up to the run, etc. Give good attention to those things so you feel good as much as possible and don't provoke quite as many moments of misery that require sheer willpower to overcome.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use a simple counting technique if I feel my mind wanting me to give in. I just count to a 100 and restart again at 1 if I need to keep my mind occupied. I did this for a 10k recently and was able to keep my pace going by focusing my mind elsewhere.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    As others have said, focusing on the mini goals along the way instead of the big picture or "what is left" is always good. For me, I like to keep my mantras very simple. My training mantra is "Just Do It" and my marathon mantra (especially helpful in the last 5 miles) is "Just Keep Running". So simple, but so effective.

Congrats on the journey you are about to take. I am sure you have worked extremely hard to get to this point. Just trust in your training. Please check back and give us all of the details of this epic adventure. Best of luck to you!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's still going to hurt whether you fail or reach the summit, so might as well finish the task at hand. I do a lot of challenging endurance hikes. Many times I've questioned my sanity and wanted to quit. But quitting doesn't instantly absolve the pain & discomfort it just makes it that you suffered and didn't do what you set out to. So I just keep pushing to the end.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions posted here, mine are very similar to what @Machka9 posted about chunking the task up and staying on top of your nutrition.

Two other tips that help me when I'm hurting or just feeling sorry for myself:

1) Shift the focus from the pain point to something else, for example if you're legs are saying "I quit" then focus on your arm swing for the next mile, or focus on your breathing, etc.

2) Another technique is to have your personal "Why" statement in your head, something that you have thought about that drove you to attempt this challenging activity in the first place. Then, when you are struggling, think of your "Why" and maybe a mantra that you've rehearsed to give you the lift you need. For me, this often helps pull me out of a funk during the run leg of a triathlon when I'm ready to quit. I often recall the memory of two of my lifelong friends who passed away several years back, and I imagine them telling me how lucky I am to be doing this and to "suck it up" and get the job done. I know other triathletes who bring keepsakes or handwritten messages from their families in their special needs bag and carry these items during their runs. It can be a powerful motivator when you want to quit.

Good luck. Looking forward to reading your post climb story.

• MountainHiker48
    MountainHiker48 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I'm a long distance cyclist, and for me, I need to break the rides into shorter goals.

Once I've started a really long ride, I can't think about the total distance anymore or it feels way too daunting.

Excellent advice. This was how I broke up the Ironman into manageable segments. Get through the swim, split the bike into 2 loops, break up the marathon into 5 mile sections. Don't even think about the end goal until you are at least 75% of the way through. Enjoy the climb!

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For me, finding different ways to chunk up what I've achieved within the race, and what's next. So for a marathon, it's just over four 10Ks, two HMs. So when I've run 30Ks I've only a short training run left to complete.

Running a lapped race, giving myself targets per lap. Last one was 7 laps for a marathon, so time goals on each one.

Less psychological would be remaining adequately fuelled;. Tailwind, granola bars, soup, fruit, coffee. On lapped races I also change regularly. Fresh top and shorts make a huge difference to how things feel.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Once I've started a really long ride, I can't think about the total distance anymore or it feels way too daunting. Instead, I think about the next control which is usually approx. 75 km up the road. 75 km is a doable ride, so I tell myself that I'm just out for a 75 km ride. When I get there, I go the next 75 km ... and so on. Sometimes I have to break it down even more than that ... just getting into the next town maybe 20 km down the road.

The other thing is to eat and drink regularly. I find that if I get sloppy with that, it has quite an effect on my mental state.

For the really long rides, I need to be eating at least 200 cal/hour, ideally a bit more than that. And it needs to be a mix of carbs, protein, and fat. More carbs, but I need the rest too.

I also need to be drinking approx. one 750 ml bottle of water every 1 to 1.5 hours. And along with that, I need to be getting my electrolytes.

When I'm doing all that, I feel reasonably strong and in a decent state of mind.

However, sometimes, when we're riding through the middle of the night or dealing with long climbs or bad weather, I forget to eat and drink. Not only does my energy level drop but the dark thoughts start ... "I can't do this", "I feel sick", "What was I thinking even attempting this", "I want to stop".

When I start getting like that, my husband usually tells me to eat something ... and yes, it helps. :)

This is a great answer. When I was running the Maui marathon, I got to a point early on where there was a road sign for a town that we would pass before getting to the finish, and the sign said 21 miles. Running past that reminder of how far we had to go was a real drag. Much better to break things up into smaller chunks. If you have milestones along the way, that helps a lot --- think about the next milestone.

Also, totally agree about eating. During long runs, I find myself getting really dark and negative, and a little Gatorade brings my mood up amazingly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Jealous, I've wanted to do that for a long time. Some day!

My answer is similar to Machka's -- I focus on smaller bits or play math games (when swimming 100 laps I do 1% done, 2% done, 1/10 done, 1/5th done so on -- focus on getting to the next big interval. With running it is the same--focus on each mile, focus on hitting milestones (10 miles!), focus on manageable amounts (2 10Ks left). For a marathon (or your event) you can add eating and drinking into that -- three more miles and then I get to eat. The benefit of this is I sometimes to math in my head (convert K to miles, say), which is distracting.

I also imagine other distances sometimes -- like I know how far it is from my house to various local landmarks, so I think "just like running to WF" or some such. For my run during my half ironman (which was tough for lots of reasons) I focused on getting to specific landmarks that I saw up ahead.

For running when listening to music I sometimes count by number of songs. Of course when there's scenery I try to not focus on anything but the moment and looking around at times.
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I ran my first marathon last year and when things started to get tough, I started chatting to people. I got outside of my own head so that I didn't have to listen to my own whining, and made conversation. The last 6miles are now the best memories i have of the race and I finished with a huge smile on my face. It's almost impossible to focus on your own misery when you're chatting.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My longest runs have been a 60 miler and a 50 miler. Both over 15 hours. Breaking stuff down in to smaller bits will help for a bit but in the end, even those smaller bits feel like hell.
    You will be beyond tired, every single bit of you will hurt. Physical exhaustion will make every step feel like your legs are made from lead and you will want nothing more than you just sit down and catch your breath or just stop altogether.

You need to focus on the why, what was the starting point of your journey. What have you done and gone through to get you to this point. Think about all the people who have helped you along the way and all of the people you are with and what it has taken for them to get there as well.
    If you are with people, then talk, laugh, joke, try to bring up stories which made you laugh.

At the end of my first 60 miler, I was pretty much at the very end of my rope. I had torn a muscle in my thigh and my left knee was in agony from a fall in the dark, I was running alone along the river thames and I just wanted to call it a day and get picked up.

I ended up thinking about my dad, he passed away when I was 18, here I was 16 years later doing something which he would have been immensely proud of. All the effort and hard work I had put in to go from being unable to run a 5k to completing a 60 miler.

You are going to be doing something which some many people could only dream about doing. Use that to push yourself onwards. You will finish that climb with such a better understanding about yourself than you ever imagined possible.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the pictures of you at the summit in this thread!
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me when I am in the mountains is company. Having somebody that you can talk to and that you can give each other support can make the difference between success and failure. I remember hiking up one local peak and running into two other girls on the hike. We wanted to do a ridge traverse and it was very scary. Even though I had just met them. We were able to give each other enough support to complete the traverse. If I had remained alone that day. It wouldn't have happened.