Does anyone have itchy legs when walking or being active

Options
I've been dealing with this since I was a child, anytime I walk for an extended amount of time my legs start itching all over..and it stops me from going any further! It really sucks, it feels like a million ants all over my leg it doesn't hurt it just itches tremendously. I want to know if anyone else has experienced this

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It sounds like an exercised-induced histamine reaction.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »

This was my first thought as well. OP, have you ever spoken to a doctor about this?
  • ivasmom2011
    ivasmom2011 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

This was my first thought as well. OP, have you ever spoken to a doctor about this?

That sounds about right, I actually just talked to one she is trying to find out the cause now but I guess it's going to take some time because this is her first time hearing about it.
  • ivasmom2011
    Options

That sounds about right, it's really bad
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Very normal. It is just your legs aren't use to the circulation you are getting in your legs. It works off soon.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My legs always get itchy if I go walking outside. I think it's a combination of the exercise your body isn't used to and something about the outdoor air (especially cooler air)
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    Very normal. It is just your legs aren't use to the circulation you are getting in your legs. It works off soon.

Like I mentioned this is something I've been dealing with my whole life even at my most active points. It doesn't stop until I stop walking. it continues and I have to fight through it but it's the most uncomfortable feeling
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    demorelli wrote: »
    My legs always get itchy if I go walking outside. I think it's a combination of the exercise your body isn't used to and something about the outdoor air (especially cooler air)

Does yours stop if you walk past it? For me i have to stop or sprint to my destination so that i can sit or stand still
  • ivasmom2011
    Options

This is a good read and i think it's in the ball park but it's happened as young as 4yrs of age i doubt i was it off shape then.. idk i have my doc looming into it but it's stopped me from walking as much. And i love to walk
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ask your dr if you can take an antihistamine before you work out. I only get this way if its cold out and I come in where its warm. it drives me batty.I would hate it if it did it all the time. I feel for you.
  • LBgetsfit
    LBgetsfit Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to the cold and especially extreme temperature changes (I know, this sounds made up...). If I'm outside and it's cool or if I'm at the indoor track and the ac is pumping, I get terribly itchy within a few minutes and then I'll have a burning sensation on any exposed skin if I stay longer. It's real annoying. As I've lost nearly 30 lbs, I don't seem to react quite as badly. Or maybe it's just because winter has been milder this year so far...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to the cold and especially extreme temperature changes (I know, this sounds made up...). If I'm outside and it's cool or if I'm at the indoor track and the ac is pumping, I get terribly itchy within a few minutes and then I'll have a burning sensation on any exposed skin if I stay longer. It's real annoying. As I've lost nearly 30 lbs, I don't seem to react quite as badly. Or maybe it's just because winter has been milder this year so far...

Im like this but also if its really hot out and I sweat a lot my face gets blotchy and itchy.I get hives too.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This happens to me anytime I increase the level I am used to and it did happen when I was a child.

I have always been active as a young child until my teenage years so it did get better as I grew older. Then I stopped exercising in my early twenties and when I picked up again it was really bad.

It does get better with consistent exercise, I think it has to do with bad circulation. It used to start happening after running 1 mile now it only happens after about 5 miles. I have allergic reactions to the cold and other weird things so it could be related to the immune system but I don't think it's anything serious. Mostly an uncomfortable feeling.
  • eluvscats
    eluvscats Posts: 54 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    YES!!!! OMG YES!!! I have had this horrific itching since I was a child! It wasn't until my mid-twenties that a doctor told me to take a 24-hour allergy med every day, and as long as I do that, I can exercise again and walk like a normal person! If I sound like I'm shouting, I sort of am because OMG the itching is unbearable and to finally have relief was a godsend. :) But you're not crazy, others have this too!!! :)

And for the other posters that think what she described is just from "being out of shape" or that "you can walk past it," THAT is something else. This is distinct and different and horrible. Just want to make sure we're not demeaning the OP's situation, because if it is exercise-induced urticaria, this is way more than "just itching." :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,061 Member
    Options
    ask your dr if you can take an antihistamine before you work out. I only get this way if its cold out and I come in where its warm. it drives me batty.I would hate it if it did it all the time. I feel for you.

Yes, I would second the antihistamine recommendation. But do check with your Dr first.

My legs get itchy when I'm walking in cooler weather and it's worse when I'm heavier.

I also have bad reactions to or or several of ... the sun, my sunscreen, the heat, or my cycling shorts. I get prickly heat and then break out into hives.

Antihistamines do seem to help.
  • ivasmom2011
    Options

Hmm that's interesting, it's been happening since i was about 4 so it's probably not due to weight, but i understand. I walked yesterday abnormal it was about 55 outside and it started it was so bad i had to fight through it
  • ivasmom2011
    Options

Not in my case, I used to walk long distances and it will start up and never wore off I just had to fight my way back
  • ivasmom2011
    Options
    eluvscats wrote: »
    YES!!!! OMG YES!!! I have had this horrific itching since I was a child! It wasn't until my mid-twenties that a doctor told me to take a 24-hour allergy med every day, and as long as I do that, I can exercise again and walk like a normal person! If I sound like I'm shouting, I sort of am because OMG the itching is unbearable and to finally have relief was a godsend. :) But you're not crazy, others have this too!!! :)

And for the other posters that think what she described is just from "being out of shape" or that "you can walk past it," THAT is something else. This is distinct and different and horrible. Just want to make sure we're not demeaning the OP's situation, because if it is exercise-induced urticaria, this is way more than "just itching." :)

Wow, thank you so much! I feel like you definitely get it!!! So has the allergy medicine taken away so of that? I mean literally to walk again would be the greatest dream lol. Disney trips are the worst, I'm only 25 and sometimes I'd have to use those electric scooters because it's so bad! And I'm not that out of shape do it's not what the other posters are saying. My doctor is trying to piece together the puzzle to make this not an issue for me. What kind of allergy medicine do you take? I will take it if it really helps! when I was younger and we used to walk to the grocery store it would be so unbearable that my mother would have to call a taxi because she couldn't pick me up while holding grocery bags
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, but I keep going. I do 2 to 3 hours a day.