Anyone with PCOS?

Options
agirlnamedgod
agirlnamedgod Posts: 6 Member
A few months ago I was diagnosed with PCOS. I've started hormone therapy, and attempting to at least get it under control (there is no cure).

The first thing they tell you, weight loss is hard. The hormone imbalances just don't cooperate.

I've heard to stear clear of gluten and dairy. Does anybody agree with this? I will say I've cut gluten out. And I tend to feel better - but not sure it helps with weight loss.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Replies

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in June. My FNP didn't tell me to avoid anything except simple sugars, really. That and enriched/bleached/unbleached flour, refined/added /artificial sugars, high fructose corn syrup, and artifical flavors/colors. Maybe hydrogenated oils were in there? She also told me to eat low glycemic index foods and limit my complex carbs to 1/2 cup per meal.

I lost almost 43 lbs since then without much trouble, but following all her guidelines. Walking, counting calories, lots of protein, and now I'm hitting the gym. My doc put me on spironolactone and a BCP. Since my A1C and glucose haven't budged, they are thinking of putting me on metformin. We shall see.

It's a tough road, but you definitely aren't alone. It gets easier.
  • Lipsmahoney
    Lipsmahoney Posts: 512 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have PCOS, my saving grace has been exercise with cardio and weights as well as going gluten free. Insulin resistance is nasty but you can beat it if you have the proper nutrition information and use weights in your workouts. I don't count calories, but I do eat every two hours and avoid some foods. Down 101lbs and still going.
  • cpurpero
    cpurpero Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in June. My FNP didn't tell me to avoid anything except simple sugars, really. That and enriched/bleached/unbleached flour, refined/added /artificial sugars, high fructose corn syrup, and artifical flavors/colors. Maybe hydrogenated oils were in there? She also told me to eat low glycemic index foods and limit my complex carbs to 1/2 cup per meal.

I lost almost 43 lbs since then without much trouble, but following all her guidelines. Walking, counting calories, lots of protein, and now I'm hitting the gym. My doc put me on spironolactone and a BCP. Since my A1C and glucose haven't budged, they are thinking of putting me on metformin. We shall see.

My endo is wanting to put me on spironolactone. She just put me on trulicity to help with my morning fasting and it can aid in weight loss.

I have some tachycardia issues. Have you noticed the spironolactone increasing your heart rate? It has the longest list of side effects, so it has me a bit nervous to start it as the trulicity has increased my heart rate some.
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    cpurpero wrote: »

My endo is wanting to put me on spironolactone. She just put me on trulicity to help with my morning fasting and it can aid in weight loss.

I have some tachycardia issues. Have you noticed the spironolactone increasing your heart rate? It has the longest list of side effects, so it has me a bit nervous to start it as the trulicity has increased my heart rate some.

I can honestly say, I have had zero issues in the week I have been on it. My BP was 104/64 the day before I started taking it, and I have had no dizziness, rapid heartbeat, or anything unpleasant. I don't even notice that I'm going to the bathroom more often like most would with a diuretic. The only thing I have really noticed is that my period is lighter, and I'm not nearly as rage-y.
  • eluvscats
    eluvscats Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have posted about this elsewhere in the forums, but I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 18, over 12 years ago and tried every diet method: gluten free, paleo, low carb, low glycemic, weights, cardio, you name it. Until a doctor finally put me on metformin, I had no success. Now, while on metformin, I use myfitnesspal to track calories, I use a Fitbit to monitor my steps for exercise, and I lose what MFP thinks I "should." No special reduction of food groups, I just watch portions and quantity, with all things in moderation. But again, I stress that nothing worked until the meds were tailored to my hormonal needs. Your mileage may vary. Best of luck!

Also, search the forums for "PCOS" and you'll find lots of other women who have been through it and succeeded, as well as their strategies. :)

SW: 255
    CW: 187
    GW: 140
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    eluvscats wrote: »
    I have posted about this elsewhere in the forums, but I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 18, over 12 years ago and tried every diet method: gluten free, paleo, low carb, low glycemic, weights, cardio, you name it. Until a doctor finally put me on metformin, I had no success. Now, while on metformin, I use myfitnesspal to track calories, I use a Fitbit to monitor my steps for exercise, and I lose what MFP thinks I "should." No special reduction of food groups, I just watch portions and quantity, with all things in moderation. But again, I stress that nothing worked until the meds were tailored to my hormonal needs. Your mileage may vary. Best of luck!

Also, search the forums for "PCOS" and you'll find lots of other women who have been through it and succeeded, as well as their strategies. :)

I think I might ask my doc about metformin and see if it brings my numbers down if they still haven't budged the next time I have them checked.
  • Mellonator81
    Mellonator81 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Good on ya for going gluten-free! I can't do it, I tried. I love my bread too much lol.

I was diagnosed with PCOS over a year ago (but I'm sure I had it long before that). Because of it, I've developed type 2 diabetes that I've been taking metformin for. I haven't been on it long enough to see any weight loss results yet, but I'm hoping that it will help, especially since I've been watching what I'm eating and getting more active.

As far as cutting anything out, you'll find tons of places online and in magazines saying so many different things, it's hard to know what's right. Some things that have helped me:
    • Adding whole grains to my diet and ditching the white stuff, sugar and butter
    • Switching to stevia for my coffee, tea and baking
    • Currently working on completely cutting out processed foods
    • Added fresh stuff like avocado, broccoli, yams
    • Drilling into my thick skull that it's about moderation and portion control
    • Not cutting out dairy, but changing to low/fat free options. Dairy isn't evil (unless you're lactose intolerant)
    It's hard because what works for one person may not work for another. If you can, try to see a dietician!
    They're awesome, they'll help you understand how food works and what choices to make. Good luck :smiley:
  • megjaxtx
    megjaxtx Posts: 3 Member
    Options

• megjaxtx
    megjaxtx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS in October. My doctor immediately prescribed metformin. I lost like 15lbs effortlessly ( unfortunately I had very bad side effects that kept me on the toilet) . Not sure if it was good or bad but I lost the weight and kept it off
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else that what works for you will be highly individual. I couldn't lose weight with PCOS/insulin resistance until I removed processed foods (simple carbs, sugar etc) from my diet, started counting calories (weighing/ measuring everything) and started cardio (running) regularly. Only took 2 months to get fasting insulin from 16 to 4 with the changes I made, luckily no need for meds. Lost 24 kg's so far, with about 8 kg's to go, but it's hard work!!! Best of luck, happy to help in anyway :)
  • NisaB
    NisaB Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is so refreshing!! Sometimes I feel like I am the only one. I was diagnosed a long time ago- but no one really knew what to do with me. They basically treated my thyroid and blood sugar, but no support for the other nasty things that come with PCOS. When I decided I wanted to get pregnant (ha) my Gyno basically said "I know this is going to sound mean, but only thing you can do is lose weight. It will work, I promise".
    It worked. I lost 30 lbs and felt great. Eat less, move more...It works.

I digress- I currently take metformin, victoza, Jardiance, and birth control. Diabetes runs in my family heavily- I have to say...my sugars are well controlled but everything else still sucks.

I heard you mention Hormones....No one has ever recommended them to me....What do you do?

We are warriors ladies!!! So glad you started this thread!
  • NisaB
    Options
    Just looked up spironolactone and how it can help with the nasty symptoms like acne and unwanted hair...Ladies- are you having success with this? The hair DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!!!
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    NisaB wrote: »
    Just looked up spironolactone and how it can help with the nasty symptoms like acne and unwanted hair...Ladies- are you having success with this? The hair DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!!!

I just commented on my thread about it in the PCOS forum. Maybe some others can share their experiences, too. My issue is hair loss. Doesn't seem like as much hair is going down the drain, but I am going to see how it goes at the end of this cycle.
  • HealthierBrianna
    HealthierBrianna Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14 years old. It has been 10 years. I have always struggled with my weight. I have tried dairy free, gluten free, carb free, you name it. I am finding what works best is making healthy choices, being aware of what I put in my body, cardio, and lots of water. Good luck! We can do this, ladies!
  • NisaB
    Options
    NisaB wrote: »

I just commented on my thread about it in the PCOS forum. Maybe some others can share their experiences, too. My issue is hair loss. Doesn't seem like as much hair is going down the drain, but I am going to see how it goes at the end of this cycle.

My hair has really gotten thin- and seems to have implanted in other areas. lol. Ill be interested to follow your journey.