Low carb diets

Options
I have only been on this site a very short while but I cannot see any mention of low carb diets, is this because they are frowned upon or have I just missed something.

I have found the one I am on very effective (26 pound loss in seven weeks) with no need for much willpower as i can eat as much of the "allowed" foods provided I keep below 40 grams of carbs a day.

Your thoughts please

Replies

• DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You'll get a variety of opinions about low-carb diets. If it works for you, go for it. My diet is medium carb (about 70-95g per day) but I don't eat any starches at this time. That works for me.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    OMG "the C word" Duck!
  • LondonLad
    LondonLad Posts: 31
    Options
    OMG "the C word" Duck!

Have I broken some rules here :smile:
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 75-ish lbs. the first time around on it. I think it's do-able and healthy (I outgrew asthma, high blood sugar, and high blood pressure by doing this diet. I personally cannot do it since I've became a runner though. My body just wants carbs to run, and I love being a runner. I do avoid bread, rice, and pasta because I look 6 months pregnant (not to mention spiked blood sugar) when I eat just a little bit of brown rice, or quinoa. What's best for ones body is not good for anothers. I have that typical genetic predisposition (to diabetes), so you have to do what is best for your body and not what the know-it-alls think.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, people are very opinionated when it comes to this diet. MFP is not much help for it. But it works for me. I certainly know first hand it's not the diet for everyone. It's not a good diet for my husband. But it works wonders for me. What I had a hard time learning is maintenance. That's tricky. I have a feeling, that if it's a good diet for you, trying to go back to "normal" eating will never work. I've finally embraced it as a permanent lifestyle.
  • LondonLad
    Options
    I intend to use the low carb diet to reach my target weight and then switch to 2000 cals a day but I will never go back to the crisps/biscuits/sweets/pizza/proccessed crap gorging I used to do.

One thing this diet has done is removed my craving for sugary rubbish
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've found lots of other members are on low carb diets and i even found friends who eat along the same plan as my own which is a primal diet (low carb)

Just got to look for em. The message boards are the easiest way as many have started their own groups to communicate with similar minded people.
  • LondonLad
    Options
    Thank you for the heads up
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Low-carb works well for me, especially since I have PCOS. My blood pressure has gone back to normal and I've lost 30lbs since May 31st! I still have a lot to lose and I'm in this for the long run. I set my diary to my own liking (under 20 carbs a day, about 1200 calories).... this is what works for me! :)
  • desertrosepaint
    desertrosepaint Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have only been on this site a very short while but I cannot see any mention of low carb diets, is this because they are frowned upon or have I just missed something.

I have found the one I am on very effective (26 pound loss in seven weeks) with no need for much willpower as i can eat as much of the "allowed" foods provided I keep below 40 grams of carbs a day.

Your thoughts please

I'm just curious. What diet are you on? I'm desperately looking for a diet to try and help me loose the last of what I wish to get rid of (10-12 more lbs.). If you wouldn't mind telling me I would LOVE to know! Great job on your progress thus far!
  • LondonLad
    Options
    I follow the Dr Clarks new high protein diet book, far less restrictive than Atkins and the science behind it is well explained, It is available from Amazon.

I chose the book by reading the reviews on the Amazon site.

It has worked wonders for me.