1/2 marathon training question

Options
Do you think 6 months is enough to prepare for a 1/2 marathon, if you are already able to run 10km? I think yes, but I need your opinion my friends! I run 3-4 times a week.

Replies

• LoraEllen
    LoraEllen Posts: 81
    Options
    Yes, I do. I completed my first marathon in January at Disney World. I used jeffgalloway.com to get prepared. He is a former Olympic runner that has helped many people prepare for marathons. Check out his website! He has training plans and great information to help you achieve your goal. It worked for me and I HATED to run before I started. Now I love it. Good Luck!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Totally. If I can go from running nothing to 10k in 16 weeks, you can add to what you already do over 6 months.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I completed my first marathon in January at Disney World. I used jeffgalloway.com to get prepared. He is a former Olympic runner that has helped many people prepare for marathons. Check out his website! He has training plans and great information to help you achieve your goal. It worked for me and I HATED to run before I started. Now I love it. Good Luck!

Nice! Thank you for the tip!
  • Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I just completed my first 10k a few weeks ago and began a 12 week half marathon plan as of this morning. My half is on October 9th. I'm going into it fully expecting to walk a large portion. If you can run 6.2 miles, you can walk/run 13.1. Especially with that amount of time to prepare.

I'd say a marathon is a stretch, but a half is definitely good to go.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. I ran a half marathon 6 months after my first 5K and was able to finish comfortably.

Good luck to you!! You're gonna be hooked!
  • cam0103
    cam0103 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    More than enough time.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Oh, that is totally enough time! For my first half marathon, I got the idea to run it only 3 months before it was going to happen. And I started off only being able to run a 5k! It was an intense 3 months to say the least. If you are already able to run a 10k, I would say that training for a half in 6 months will be a cake walk for you! Best of luck!
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Plenty of time. If you need a plan outline, I can help. I'm a certified USA Track & Field coach.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Agreed plenty of time to ramp up for a half.
  • barwwd
    barwwd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Definately! We started training at the end of Feb for a half on June 4. Had never run before and we ran the whole time... 2 hrs 15 min!! Good luck!!!
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Easily. I trained for my first in 12 weeks. (I was already running 3-5 miles on a regular basis)
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will run my 10k in Sept. and then start the 6 month training for the half! I will first run that 10k and then tell this to my friends, I dont wanna skip ahead haha... I can soooo see myself doing this, and it would be so AMAZING!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    That's more than enough time. I'm training for my 2nd half right now. It's on 10/1.
    Feel free to add me!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! I ran my first half marathon less than 6 months after my first 5k. You are way ahead of the game!!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Im in trouble if you cant: planning to do 10k to a full Marathon in 9 months.
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    Definitely, you can do it. Have fun with it. You will be doing a full in no time (you will see after the half that you can totally go all the way :P ) Good luck with the training and remember "A run begins the moment you forget you are running" Adidas