Teachers of MFP!

Options
124»

Replies

• hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Gosh! Teaching in the USA sounds very different to schools in England. We don't tend to have any time off and our meetings are after school.
    I am a special needs teacher for children who have suffered trauma, abuse and neglect. Our lunch is provided for us but it can be hard to calorie count. The chef prepares a large meal for lunch as it's the children's main meal of the day. They tend to have a smaller dinner in the evening. I've started taking my own lunches and ensure I have a high protein snack.

I seem to be surrounded by others who want to watch what they eat, but then the chef makes a homemade cheesecake, sticky toffee pudding or bread and butter pudding then they go straight for that. When I'm really stressed (let's face it, teaching at the best of times is stressful, and as the children have behavioural difficulties, it's extra stressful when they are going through a time of reliving the trauma), it does seem easy to turn to food. I seem to be a bit of a yo-yo dieter. I lose 80+lbs then get comfortable so eat whatever. I'm now back at trying to lose another 28lbs (which I seem to lose and gain again).
  • boothekm1
    boothekm1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I try to stay away from the constant stream of tasty treats in the teachers' lounge. I do indulge some days though. It's hard to pass up King Cake and cheesy shrimp fetticine! I just make sure to stick to my calorie goals. I stopped snacking during my planning periods and breaks and started drinking flavored water which has helped tremendously! I started my journey in November 2016 after a traumatic life event. Currently, I'm 8 pounds lighter and dreaming of May 20 :wink:

Spanish-Kindergarten through 8th Grade
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm in! 6th grade teacher here. In the past ten years of my career I've lost and then gained 80 pounds (did it the wrong way)

This time, I'm 22 pounds in and doing it the right way. I've found my fitbit to be a major motivator to me. I'm up at 5:30am. Get 250 steps before I shower and am at 1,500 steps before I leave for work at 7:45. I always eat a ham and cheese omelet from Schwan's. They're convenient and fairly healthy. I am lucky enough to have a fridge and a microwave in my classroom. I avoid the lunchroom unless I've forgotten to pack (rarely). I also choose to avoid the staff lounge. Crappy snacks and snooty gossipy teachers..lol. I usually pack a salad or make soup.
    I make sure I hit 5,000 steps and 40 ounces of water before my kids come back in from lunch at 11:35. I eat an apple around 1:30pm while my kids are at specials. I am sure to drink another 40 ounces of water in the afternoon. I go home and play with my cuddly saint bernard to avoid grazing before husband comes home for dinner. I don't start dinner prep until I've got at least 7,500 steps in.
    We eat almost all our meals at home so I know my meals are fairly healthily prepared. (My one downfall is when we travel...which is about once a month)
    After dinner I go straight downstairs to work out. I don't have a snack after dinner, just water or plain iced tea.
    I don't go to bed until ALL my goal on my fitbit are green (12000 steps, 5 miles, 3500 calories burned, 5 floors climbed, 20 active minutes) I hate losing so I have to pass them all.

I've found that being a creature of habit and doing the same thing every day has really been helpful to me. It limits my choices so the only thing I have to think about planning is my dinner meal. Husband and I menu plan on Sundays so it takes the guesswork out of it and we are less inclined to order out. We live in such a tiny town there are only two restaurants (none deliver)(one is a pizza place) so that really helps with "drive by cravings."

I've also "trained my bladder" to drink that much water and use the bathroom 8:25(morning bell), 10am(recess) 11:15 (lunch) 1:00 (specials begin) (2:10) specials end. When I first upped my water intake I was beating my kids out the door when the recess bell rang, now I think nothing of it. However, I don't drink anything other than water and plain iced tea so coffee drinkers may have different issues...
  • lushjarosee
    lushjarosee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So... I am a HS Culinary Arts Teacher.... good times. So hard to tell my students "no" when they want me to try their food. Doing well this year though!
  • lizzymay1990
    lizzymay1990 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yay great idea making a teacher thread! I'm from Sydney, Australia and have been teaching primary school since 2015. This year will be my second year teaching year 1
  • mila_lova
    mila_lova Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm a long term sub in first grade, our winter break ended two weeks ago, so I started working again two weeks ago. How do you deal with the stress???? I really want my own classroom but I'm having such a hard time managing stress without binging.
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Teachers!!!! I'm a high school Language Arts teacher. I teach sophomores and have been teaching as long as they've been alive (which blows their minds). I find it extremely hard to eat at work. I hate eating in front of people so if I have students in my room at lunch I won't eat and during my conference period (free period) I'm either grading or taking a long walk. I use MyFitnessPal to stay accountable and try to maintain my weight range. Would love some new friends who understand the daily struggle.
  • nrivera96
    nrivera96 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a teacher, I find the yearly pictures to be eye opening. I've been teaching 12 years and you can see the weight piling on. I'm determined to make it stop.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Nrivera. You can do it. Just make a small change and stick with it. Then add another change and stick with it.

I am determined to be healthy for the rest of my career and life and that means I have to move more and eat better. Karen
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    5th year teacher here in middle school. Some days I can walk right past the snacks in work room... other days I'm giving out candy in my class and sneak a few (handfuls) for myself... Feel free to add me! I'm logging every day.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I teach first year college students, and I just want to thank all of you for your hard work. I appreciate it so much when my students have had great preparation before they get to my class.
  • nychicav2
    nychicav2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Middle school Spanish teacher here at a private school in New York City. This looks like a great thread! I'm back on mfp after a long hiatus and significant weight gain. Determined to get healthy and fit this year and need all the support I can get.
  • ashleigh315
    ashleigh315 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! School counselor here (finishing up my internship and graduating in May). I appreciated how sweet and thoughtful everyone at our school was for School Counselor's Week last week, but now I need to get back on track after all those sweets and restaurant lunches!
  • MammaPeaches
    MammaPeaches Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey there teacher friends! How's your summer so far?
  • Volbeat79
    Volbeat79 Posts: 185 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    1st grade teacher here. I find I do best when I only allow myself to eat food I bring. Oh, and stay away from the staff room at all costs!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Hi teachers! Add me? I teach high school English, so our staff room has the copier, not treats. It's still hard, though!

How soon does everyone go back?
  • AKAmplished_Pearl
    AKAmplished_Pearl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I'm certain I am not the only teacher using this fabulous calorie tracker -- let's motivate each other to avoid the plethora of faculty room treats and throw away the birthday cupcakes! It's always, always someone's birthday in my elementary school!

Whether you've got a few to lose, lots to lose, or just want to maintain let's start a teacher support group!

-MamaPeaches, K-3 Title 1 Teacher

Lyntoria3, 4-5 grade reading teacher, Title 1
  • Volbeat79
    Volbeat79 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Our last day is tomorrow. We have less than 2 months before going back
  • EthanPierre
    EthanPierre Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP teachers! I'm a High School teacher 11 years now. Moved to a new city 2 years ago and had a hard time adjusting to my new surroundings. Left all my family and friends and evidently all my healthy habits. I have put a bit of weight back on but am now back on track. Be happy, be healthy and whatever you do enjoy the summer break while you can!