Doing things that make you uncomfortable

Options
Getting into exercising involves a lot of doing things that make you feel weak or horrible or awkward in the moment. How have you overcome these feelings? I've been trying to convince myself to go to dance cardio -- I'm in decent shape, but can't follow choreography to save my life. Have you had an experience like this that you've overcome?

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just go and do it, the more you do it the more you see no one cares what you're doing, everyone's focused on themselves.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's exactly what I've experienced with yoga. I'm in decent shape too but had visions of me flailing and feeling rather foolish. My New Year's resolution was to try something new each month that scared me. So, I went into my first yoga class on Friday and admitted I was a newbie and nervous. It was awesome, my next class is Monday. Just do it, I say! Remember, " A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step." Next month I'm going to try skate skiing, then there's going to be a bike race I've had my eyes on , then who knows. Sign up and rock that class! Good Luck. ;)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I have the feeling with any exercise I have taken up. But I also know I am only going to learn by doing and training. I see it as a road I have to travel to a goal. One step at a time, it will get me there.

It is no different in that respect from study or anything else. Talent helps but even then it is practice practice practice.
  • LeeBGoode
    LeeBGoode Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am a Zumba instructor and people will tell me that they have wanted to do my class for months before they actually do it, because they feel self-conscious. I felt the same way when I started! I don't have a dance background and tend to be a klutz. But 15 seconds into your first class you will see that it takes so much focus, you don't have the time to think about how other people are dancing! Some people feel more comfortable in the back row. I will say that every student I have had only feels self-conscious the first class!

You could also check out some dance cardio or Zumba routines on YouTube to familiarize yourself with some basic steps. This is what I did before going to a class in person and it helped my nerves immensely.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i did zumba and i have two left feet. i can't dance if my life depended on it. but you will notice your not the only one messing up. but just smile and do your best and have fun
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    For me, those sorts of things have fallen into two categories. They were things I really wanted to do, and things I thought I should try because they sounded interesting.

Guess which category I managed to get over myself and bumble my way through my misgivings?

If you really, deep down WANT to do something, no matter how derpy and awkward it is for you, something in you always manages to drive you forward.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I find a spot in the very back of the class, do my best and have fun! I'm naturally uncoordinated but that doesn't stop me.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It'll come to you with time and practice. Everyone has to start somewhere. You'll be fine--don't give up.
  • queencoombs
    queencoombs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Everyone in the class are as focused as you are on the moves and not falling over! I had the exact same anxiety so I bought Just Dance for my husbands play station and spend an hour a day shaking it around the house!!
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Last year, I made the statement that I was going to try every class they offered at the workout studio. Everyone is focused on themselves and the instructor as we follow along. We have a great camaraderie so mostly we kinda "gang up" (all in fun!) on the instructor. But, we all agree it's not the process of working out we love, it's the feeling of accomplishment afterward. Without our instructors we'd all be a bunch of blobs. My point, too many benefits to worry about your minor and very temporary discomfort!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I once read "if you've never been under a bar loaded to the point where you weren't sure if you'd make it out with your life, you've never lifted *kitten*".

It resonated with me in a way that it's still relative (315 may scare the hell out of one guy, while being some woman's warmup weight), but really puts into perspective that some people never even really try to push themselves. I never wanted to be the latter, so it was definitely helpful in making me realize that everyone who trains seriously (especially the biggest and strongest) will have fears that they have to face down.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I had the best time when I tried Zumba. I fell over, went left instead of right, all the things you can imagine. Nobody cared, apart from laughing with me and helping me up. Nobody got crappy at me. Eventually I synced and caught on the moves and still remember the day where we all did a routine perfectly (I wasn't the only new one) and it was awesome. But I attribute the good vibe and team spirit to the instructor's attitude too. She had a great sense of humour. I'd go home with a sore diaphragm from laughing. Stopped going because I couldn't fit it in anymore.