Calorie intake

Options
rjel78
rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
MFP has given me 2,500 daily calories and with 1,600 calories from working out I have over 4,000 calories daily. My question is should I eat the 2,500 calories plus half of my workout calories or should I just leave this exercise calories alone?

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your exercise calories? But if MFP gave you 2500 to lose weight then eat that and then if you aren't feeling fully satisfied the recommendation is about half of your exercise calories
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you are full after eating 2500 then you don't have to eat back the exercise calories. If you are going to eat them back I wouldn't eat more than 1/2.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to burn 1600 calories? That would take me all day in the gym and even then I couldn't get that many! If you're really working out that extreme though I would eat a good portion of them back.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious what you're doing to burn those 1600 calories.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to burn 1600 calories? That would take me all day in the gym and even then I couldn't get that many! If you're really working out that extreme though I would eat a good portion of them back.

OP is male and likely quite heavy with a goal of 2600 calories. That will result in far higher calorie burns than you would have as a female who is likely far smaller. 1600 is still a fairly large burn, but not that difficult for a large male with a little time on his hands. I can likely burn that in 2 hours or so of an intense bike ride. I am still curious what the OP is doing for that burn though as an eliptical that give that sort of burn will likely be quite off where a good quality exercise bike would be closer, and a HRM while doing intervals or weight lifting would be way off.
  • rjel78
    Options
    I typically do 35 min on a stationary bike and the same time for the treadmill
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Very much doubt it was 1600 calories for 1 hour unless you where breathing through your *kitten* and at the end in a heap ready to be taken to the rubbish dump at the end. It is perfectly possible to burn 1600 calories. I burned 2800 on the turbo cycling but that was 5 hours. So quiet a big stint. As a previous poster said eat your allowed daily if still hungry eat around 3-400 and see how you feel. If you feel full there is no need to keep eating. The worst thing to do if still feeling hungry is not eat then later on start eating rubbish later on then end over because the choices was high in calories.
  • rjel78
    Options
    I just enter my exercise into MFP and that what it tells me I burned
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    That seems like a gross over estimation even by MFP standards, but definitely don't go by that OP, MFP is notoriously inaccurate as far as calorie burn goes
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    rjel78 wrote: »
    I just enter my exercise into MFP and that what it tells me I burned

Given that you're using MFP's exercise calorie estimate, you should probably aim to eat back half of them. The general consensus is that MFP's calories burned estimates are inflated.
  • rjel78
    Options
    If MFP exercise calories are inaccurate 1) why do we use it 2) how do I get an Accurate count?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    rjel78 wrote: »
    If MFP exercise calories are inaccurate 1) why do we use it 2) how do I get an Accurate count?

There's no such thing as an accurate count, unless you're hooked up to expensive medical equipment that measures your oxygen consumption while exercising. All calorie burned estimates are just that...estimates.
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I never input my exercise. I just eat what I should every day.