Joe Wicks bodycoach VS slimmingworld

Options
What are people's thoughts on the two? My mum has been very successful loosing weight with SW, however I am eating from Joe wicks books and enjoying them. I believe SW cuts out fat whereas joes seem to use mostly reduced carb recipes. My aim is to become slimmer (not bothered about what the scales say) and I exercise 5 days a week usually burning 400-600cals daily. I've avoided SW since exercising builds muscle (+weight) and so their measure using scales is fairly inaccurate. I'm happy using joe wicks, just intrested to hear people's thoughts who have a bit of knowledge of the two programmes

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm really not a fan of Wicks. Pretty bad info from him IMO.

I don't know enough about slimming world however.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I'm really not a fan of Wicks. Pretty bad info from him IMO.

I don't know enough about slimming world however.

Agreed. His books are great for "healthy" meal ideas but his diet plans and 10 minute workouts are rubbish.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I mean... Joe is nice to look at but he's like a repackaged Jamie Oliver. I hear his two books are basically identical. I would go and look at something like BBC Good Food, you can get great recipe ideas from there for free.

Slimming World - I hated it but I know people who have had great success with it. I didn't like the whole 'Syns' thing - it just made me feel guilty for eating certain things.
  • MrsT1610
    MrsT1610 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Of the two , Joe Wicks is the healthier option in my opinion.

Slimming World works for a lot of people, especially those with a lot to lose as its restricts foods with high "syn" values but does allow for a lot of sugar and carbs as they have no limitations on fruit, pasta etc . SW also don't discourage heavily processed foods and artificial sweeteners and too much reliance on things like mullerlight yoghurts which are low fat but high sugar/sweetener when I'd go for full fat greek yoghurt. Plus I'm not keen on the emphasis on the number on the scale rather than improved health and body composition.

Joe's plan is much healthier (in essence because its 'cleaner') in the long term but still has a higher daily carb intake than I would normally go for when I'm losing weight. Works fine as a maintenance plan though.

I'm not a fan of any plan that involves a financial outlay for membership, books, merchandise etc etc....
  • alisonforshaw9879
    Options
    Thanks, interesting ideas
  • trigden1991
    Options
    MrsT1610 wrote: »
    Of the two , Joe Wicks is the healthier option in my opinion.

Slimming World works for a lot of people, especially those with a lot to lose as its restricts foods with high "syn" values but does allow for a lot of sugar and carbs as they have no limitations on fruit, pasta etc . SW also don't discourage heavily processed foods and artificial sweeteners and too much reliance on things like mullerlight yoghurts which are low fat but high sugar/sweetener when I'd go for full fat greek yoghurt. Plus I'm not keen on the emphasis on the number on the scale rather than improved health and body composition.

Joe's plan is much healthier (in essence because its 'cleaner') in the long term but still has a higher daily carb intake than I would normally go for when I'm losing weight. Works fine as a maintenance plan though.

I'm not a fan of any plan that involves a financial outlay for membership, books, merchandise etc etc....

"Healthy", "clean eating" and low carb in one response. Classic
  • MrsT1610
    Options
    "Healthy", "clean eating" and low carb in one response. Classic[/quote]

What words would you prefer I used to describe cutting out processed, artificial, sugar-laden crap?
  • trigden1991
    Options
    "Healthy", "clean eating" and low carb in one response. Classic

What words would you prefer I used to describe cutting out processed, artificial, sugar-laden crap? [/quote]

What is wrong with processed food and sugar?
  • MrsT1610
    Options
    What is wrong with processed food and sugar? [/quote]

If you re-check what I wrote, I think you'll find I did...
  • trigden1991
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What is wrong with processed food and sugar?

If you re-check what I wrote, I think you'll find I did...

You said that you can't lose weight with higher carbs, which is wrong.
  • julielh72
    julielh72 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Joe Wickes is essentially a carb cycling plan (not low carb). The recipes in the books are based on the requirements for the average male and need tweaking for individual energy requirements.

Slimming World allows you to eat almost anything within it's guidelines and syn allowances. The more recent version of the SW diet (Extra Easy) is not as good as the old Red and Green Day Plans on which I lost 3st over the space of a year. That was 6 years ago.

I've put a bit of fluff back on lately and tried The Body Coach 90SSS plan and gained 7lbs in cycle 1 and my food bills went through the roof. I wasn't impressed as I stuck to it 100% for that 4 week period. I couldn't bring myself to continue. That said there are plenty of people out here that have had success with his plan - sadly I'm not one of them.

I think the best plan is to count calories and macros (tailored to your goals) using MFP and try to eat whole foods as much as possible and keep processed foods for cheats and treats to a minimum.
  • MrsT1610
    Options

You said that you can't lose weight with higher carbs, which is wrong. [/quote]

I actually said that I PERSONALLY find it harder to lose weight with higher carbs not that everyone would struggle.

The original post asked for views on these plans and having done both I gave my experience of them. Not claiming to be an expert just saying what works for me...
  • queencoombs
    queencoombs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I loved slimming world - BUT - it doesn't teach you anything about portion control! I used to find myself stuffing my face with jacket potatoes and pastas because it was "free food"! I did lose weight on it, however as soon as I stopped sticking to plan, even when working out - the weight quickly crept back on!
    Love how diverse Joe Wicks' recipes are - never stuck to the full plan though!
    Whatever works for you!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I've avoided SW since exercising builds muscle (+weight) and so their measure using scales is fairly inaccurate.
    Exercise is usually only building muscle if you are lifting progressively and eating in a surplus. If you are gaining weight, it is either temporary water retention, or you are eating in a surplus (possibly gaining fat and muscle.) If you are strictly doing cardio, you will most likely not be gaining muscle, especially in a deficit. If you are in fact in a deficit, you will lose weight, regardless of type of diet or exercise.