I want to climb a mountain.

Options
I'm working out because I want to climb s mountain. 10/2010 I climbed a mountain at my lowest adult weight. I've had 2 babies since then and put everything before my health. I've emotional ate as much as possible. Now is the time to set a better example.

Why are you doing what your doing?
Why now?
Is your family on board with your decisions?
Do you anticipate any bumps in the road?

Replies

• candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I love your goal!!
    I was really into the idea of rock climbing. Maybe I'll gift myself a class for my 31st bday!
  • etomusko
    etomusko Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think both of these are great goals! I'm trying to lose the weight that I've had almost my entire life, but overall I just want to become a healthier version of myself so I can travel more! I love to rough it - camping, tons of hikes, and walking through cities rather than taking public transit or taxis. I think getting more in shape (and losing weight) will help me in my future travels and let me go even further :)

My family is very supportive, but I'm definitely concerned about sticking with it. I'm on day four and still going strong, so we'll see ;)
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Great goal! Mountain climbing is one of the many sports I'd love to try - it's got hiking, being outdoors, and it's a real challenge. I have tried rock climbing, it was an interesting experience. I was doing a semester at the Ontario Science Center and the IMAX theater there was having the premier of the film "Everest." We had a bunch of activities related to the film and one was an indoor rock climbing wall. I spent a weekend helping visitors get ready for their climbs and did some climbing myself. It was really fun though, at the time, I didn't have a lot of upper body strength. There's an indoor wall near my local airsoft (it's like paintball) store, I really should give it a try someday.

I'll answer your questions...

I'm doing what I'm doing because I enjoy it. For me lifting weights, running, skateboarding and airsoft are really fun and I don't need any motivation other than participating.
    I've been doing those things for various lengths of time but got serious about working out about 8 months ago. The occasion was that I was on a cruise and spent some time in the gym, I found lifting really enjoyable and then joined the local YMCA.
    My family is 100% on board. My brother (who is a bit overweight) goes to the gym with me though I do wish he'd spend more time working out there. My mom is on board, she's proud of what I'm doing, although like a lot of moms she does constantly offer me something to eat. Usually I can say no. :)
    As for bumps in the road, not really anticipating anything. I do get shin splints when I run which is quite painful but the MFP community has been great at offering advice for that. Also... I want to start snowshoeing, but there hasn't been any snow since I got a pair of snowshoes!

Best wishes for your goal, you can do it and you'll feel great when you do!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Come to Washington. We have the best mountains.
  • tamarbatavraham
    tamarbatavraham Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started climbing about a year and a half ago now and I love it. It's the only sports/exercise thing that I've been able to stick with for any amount of time. It's great if you need goals and measurable progress to keep you motivated. There are the short term goals of figuring out this route/problem and then the longer term goals of being able to climb higher rated things. Every time I climb something at a rating I've never finished before it's a huge boost. It's also fun to be able to do it with friends because we encourage and help each other.

Stick with it and go get your mountain!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    I'm a long time (30 years) hiker and backpacker. I like your goal. Do you have a specific mountain you want to climb, or just any mountain? I became a backpacker because I lived in a town surrounded by mountains (Tucson, AZ). Every day I would look up at the mountains to the east and I knew that the only way to get to the top of the ridge was to walk. It was farther than I could do as a dayhike, so I packed up my gear one day and climbed. First trip ever was a four day/3 night hike. It was hard, but I never regretted it.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Amazing goal! And you can totally achieve that!

I climbed a mountain here in Colorado -- a little over 14,000 feet elevation, I did a gain of around 2000 feet -- in 2014. It kicked my butt, I really was not in the best shape to being doing that. So my goal is to hike another this summer and although I know it will still be hard, I would like it to not be as hard as that last time.
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I would love to climb a mountain also :)

I guess my real "dream goal" is to dance again.
    A disability took that away from me, but there is a chance, if I work very hard, for a very long time that I might be able to do some dance again.

For now though the focus is one day at a time, and losing some of the weight that being limited in activity has helped to pile on.

I have now committed to doing something physical every day.
  • LesleyEcksmann
    LesleyEcksmann Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Love your goal! I want to start hiking, I have a four/five day hike I would like to do with my daughter in Abel Tasman Nation Park here in New Zealand. It is a relatively easy hike and a good first goal I think. I completed a small return section a couple of years ago but did my knee on the way down a very very steep hill... I just had way too much weight for my knee to handle, conquering the uphill was way easier than the down...
  • LesleyEcksmann
    LesleyEcksmann Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    aphimira wrote: »

There will be bumps, but ride them out and keep your eye on that mountain. It is how we weather adversity that makes us champions. xxx

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Come to Washington. We have the best mountains.

Yes, and there's some pretty incredible ones in Oregon, as well! You don't have to reach the summit to climb ON a mountain. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of mountain hikes in the PNW Cascades that give you an incredible athletic experience, not to mention breathtaking views, without dangling over a precipice (unless that's your thing, of course - then by all means go for it!) If you really want a crazy climbing experience, check out Smith Rock! I've only done the lower land hikes closer to the river, but marvel at the possibilities above my head.

x7rvgn8sjhil.jpg

To answer your questions -
    • I do what I do because I love feeling strong and the more physically active I am, the better I feel emotionally. Win-win!
    • Why not now? Life is short and you never know what's around the corner. Life is a gift, so don't waste it!
    • My husband is totally on board with my fitness goals and we share some. We love to hike, play disc golf and do road races together. We have grandkids and we want to be the fun, active grandparents that our babies want to hang with!
    • If I run into any bumps in the road, I'll just jump over them!
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I'm also trying to conquer a 14er this summer, i'm off to Colorado! My weight loss goals, really pushing myself, is due to that trip. Lots of hiking!

* I've always wanted to lose weight. I've never been happy with myself, so it's been a long standing goal of mine.
    * I'm pushing myself even more now because of my upcoming adventure.
    * They've always been on board, just not very helpful. I've had to really push myself to stay in control. I AM on the diet, not my family.
    * They're always bumps in the road. I went to one of my lowest weights (135) and gained it all back because of some super stressful times last year. And i'm sure there will be more, i just need to keep my mind on the finish line.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    That is awesome! I'm also trying to conquer a 14er this summer, i'm off to Colorado! My weight loss goals, really pushing myself, is due to that trip. Lots of hiking!

* I've always wanted to lose weight. I've never been happy with myself, so it's been a long standing goal of mine.
    * I'm pushing myself even more now because of my upcoming adventure.
    * They've always been on board, just not very helpful. I've had to really push myself to stay in control. I AM on the diet, not my family.
    * They're always bumps in the road. I went to one of my lowest weights (135) and gained it all back because of some super stressful times last year. And i'm sure there will be more, i just need to keep my mind on the finish line.

I lost the weight over the past year. Aiming for the Grand Teton later this summer with my 45 year old son so I'm working on upper body strength and continuing with my hiking, snowshoeing and skiing program. And, I need to brush up on my rappelling & belaying skills because the only way off the top is to rappel down. A lot to think about for this old lady.
  • CitiZoo
    CitiZoo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great Goal! I've been hiking and mountain climbing around the White Mountains for upwards of 10 years now. and I'm always trying new trails and revisiting old forgotten ones. My current profile pic is from when I concured Moat Mountain last summer. I had a great time doing it, but being 40 lbs lighter would have made the trip a bit easier and possibly shorter as I huffed and puffed for the 4 hours it took me to climb up and the 3 hours to get back down. And as much as my body screamed at the end, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

My current weight is 178
    Hight: 5'5"
    My goal: 135

My family is on board with all of us needing to shed some extra insulation we have issued a year long weight loss challenge to each other.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    aphimira wrote: »
    I'm working out because I want to climb s mountain. 10/2010 I climbed a mountain at my lowest adult weight. I've had 2 babies since then and put everything before my health. I've emotional ate as much as possible. Now is the time to set a better example.

Why are you doing what your doing?
    Why now?
    Is your family on board with your decisions?

Because I'm fat, weak, unfit and unhealthy.
    This is ongoing for 5 years, but I've got more serious in the last 9 months.
    Yes, they're very supportive.
    Lots, have already had a few, but they make the victories sweeter.

• sammieb1228
    sammieb1228 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm also working towards climbing a mountain! I went on my first hike probably since I was a child yesterday and my legs were screaming at me by the end of the 6 miles. I've started and restarted several times. Overall, I want to lose weight and become a healthier person. I've been steadily gaining weight over the years but then last year when my grandfather died my stress eating got much worse. I've committed to 2017 finally being the year I get it done.