Using plates under heels to squat?

Options
I was thinking of trying plates under the heels when squatting, my and mobility is not good. I stretch and I foam roll.
Would plates under the heels be ok? I use a wider stance on squats. I find my lower back rounds without it.

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I use to use 10 lb plates worked great then worked on form flexibility and ditched them
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i eventually bought squat shoes, because trying to step backwards onto something i couldn't safely look down to see made me nervous.

but, yeah. there are hardliner types who'll say you 'should' work on the flexibility and the shoes are a crutch, but i think it's a case-by-case thing. i've got a limitation that seems like a hard stop in one toe/ankle, and i just didn't feel like investing another two years in trying to 'fix' it before i got busy with squats. the shoes certainly aren't a magic bullet ime, but i do find them helpful. if they're out of your budget range or you just dont' want to invest, then i think the 2.5 plates were a more accurate height for my own needs, rather than 10's.

and fwiw, i set up a little board at home which is propped on one side to give me about the same slope. i find that much more useful for body-weight practicing, compared with constantly putting the shoes on and taking them off.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have squat shoes. Like canadianlbs, I didn't like trying to step back onto plates I couldn't really see. I use the shoes for my heavier back squats and for barbell hack squats. I skip them for lighter back squats and for goblet and landmine squats.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I used to as well until I bought squating shoes and it's completely changed my squats. Definitely worth it
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do it if I forget my squatting shoes. Works a treat for me.
  • daves05
    daves05 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I pretty much gave up doing squats because I couldn't do them properly I'm flat footed and I have terrible ankle Mobility but the plate trick definitely helps me squat now
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I eventually bought squat shoes too. I used to use the thinnest plates under the heel and it was fine, but with the shies - 100% better. My trainer is the one who looked at my form and told me to use plates under heels because of posture, flexibility etc etc. I also tend to use a wider stance too. Can get lower and keep better form with a slightly wider stance
  • FFeric
    FFeric Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes. I tore my achilles twice and don't have much flexion on the right side, so using a 45 pound plate elevates my heel up enough to get a good knee bend that I otherwise wouldn't have.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I am contemplating a pair of Nike Romaleos, since my poor Chucks finally bit it. Given that I've found better leverages in a more narrow stance, it's likely that the raised heel will benefit my squat greatly. Less forward lean and all of that.

The plates ate my gym are those weird rounded Yorks that are wider in the middle than at the ends, and I have no desire to ever have something wobbly under my feet, with a bar on my shoulders.