How do I stop the weekend binge eating cycle?

Options
Hi everyone! I'm an active myfitnesspal user that is pretty quiet, but I frequently visit the forums for inspirational stories and advice! I am at awe at some of the progress of people on here and how dedicated they are on their way to living healthy fulfilling lives!

My problem is that I do pretty well during the week staying within my calorie range and eating healthy, but come the weekend my mind tells me that its okay to "treat myself", and then I end up binge eating on junk and booze for two days straight. This has become a vicious cycle, and one that I want to desperately end. Its a huge roller coaster ride that I want off!

Has anyone else ever broke this cycle? How did you do it? Any tips?

Every Sunday I feel like a failure...please help! :(

Replies

• cartersmom06
    cartersmom06 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do stay pretty active. I have a 10 year old so we do get out for skating, hikes etc. Its the evening that gets me! For example, Friday night we went skating with friends and then went for ice cream afterwards. I had a mini blizzard and my son didn't finish his, so I didn't want it to go to waste so I finished it! Then on Saturday I had a girls night with chinese food, chocolate, munchies and wine! Then today I was craving chips, so I ate a whole lot of munchie mix! Its winter here and running isn't an option! I would break my neck with all the ice around!
  • cartersmom06
    Options
    Thanks leanjogreen for the great tips!
    :)
  • NanP135
    NanP135 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to plan food better on weekend, but sometimes you just have to put the food down and walk away
  • cartersmom06
    Options
    I know I do, its a mind thing to me...weekend=treats...I have to get that weekend reward cycle out of my head, and its easier said than done!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I went skiing yesterday and today. I'm really not a morning person and everyone says you need to be there by 9 am to get a parking spot on the weekends. It's more than an hour's drive. So I skipped breakfast to sleep a little longer. Adding and driving took up about five hours, time I didn't spend around tempting food.

It's not the skiing, it's the doing something you love.
  • staffordshire62
    staffordshire62 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Its also a good idea to eat a healthy meal before you go out to a restaurant. Even though you may be at a restaurant, it doesn't mean you can't make the healthiest choices. At the Chinese restaurant, ask for steamed veggies, get one of the lighter dishes. Don't take any leftovers home with you and immediately cut the portion in half and either give it to others or box it up. Before you go to any place where there is going to be food, drink a bunch of water 15 minutes before to let your brain get the full signal. It all boils down to making the healthiest choices given the situation. I also tend to do a big workout early morning on Sat and Sun just to give me some room for the day calorie wise. I have lost over 200 lbs and kept it off. You can read my post here

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10506038/800-days-logging-mfp-and-207lbs-lost-exercise-has-become-ingrained-in-my-dna-and-i-love-it/p1?new=1
  • staffordshire62
    staffordshire62 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you would like to friend me for support feel free!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me to stop the weekend overindulgence was to set my weigh-in day for Monday. I only weighed once a week on Monday, so I knew that all the crazy weekend crap was going to show on the scale and then I'd have a mountain to climb all week to get back to where I had hoped to be.

If you're not already doing it, log everything you put in your mouth. See where your calories are really taking you. Make a commitment to yourself to make YOU a priority for ONE WEEK. Decide to stay under your calorie goal for an entire 7 days (including the weekend) and prove to yourself you can do it. Celebrate with something non-food related. A new workout top or a pedicure. Then repeat. Once you do this for a couple weeks, you'll get in the swing of it and you'll stop cheating on yourself. Sometimes I pre-log for the whole day and try and stick to my plan, including snacks.

I spend almost every Sunday doing meal prep and meal planning for the coming week. It's a fun day where I get to try new recipes and fill my fridge with healthy stuff for me and my husband to eat. There are a lot of threads on MFP about meal planning, so check them out along with the success stories.

You can have a fun evening with friends, Chinese food and wine without going crazy. Look at the menu in advance and decide what you will order. You can order stir fry without all added junk (sugar, cornstarch, MSG, sweet & sour) and have a lower calorie, lower sodium Chinese meal. I do it all the time. Chicken broccoli or happy family with 1/2 cup of rice. Take some home for lunch the next day. Just because a combo plate has enough for 4 people doesn't mean you have to eat that much. Order an entree instead of a combo or split something with a friend. Maybe only do this kind of thing once a month instead of every weekend.

For munchies, try some air-popped popcorn with a little butter and salt. You can eat a lot of that for much lower calories than chips or munchies. Lots of low-cal ideas for snacks - celery with laughing cow cheese or a little peanut butter, cucumber slices with hummus, a boiled egg, low-fat string cheese.

And last advice, but not least - Quit eating your kid's leftover food! Been there, done that and had the saddlebags to prove it. You're not saving the world's hungry children by eating his leftover ice cream. Tell him to toss it out and don't even touch it.

Good luck - you can do this if you want!
  • cartersmom06
    Options
    Hahaha RaeBeeBaby...thank you so much for the great advice! Yes, I must try to stop eating my son's leftover's!! Your tips are great! I don't even want to step on the scale tommorow knowing the damage I have caused! I did finish the weekend with a healthy meal tonight...chicken breast with lots of veggies and olive oil/lemon on the side!

• cartersmom06
    Options
    Thanks CoreyEHart! Great advice for sure! :)
  • citygirl3133
    citygirl3133 Posts: 13 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    One of the things I am working toward, more or less successfully, is changing the way I view treats and saving those indulgences for special days, i.e. birthdays, weddings, work celebrations, that sort of thing. That way, I am less inclined to reward myself with food. As another poster mentioned, rewarding myself with non-food items. Posting religiously here, weighing in on Mondays helps, too. I also have a little calendar that is within view whenever I am on the couch. I do a quick note for my workouts there, C for cardio, S for strength, A for abs, other stuff like Yoga or the March yesterday. Having that 24/7 visual cue reminds me not to blow an otherwise well-disciplined day. Changing long-held behaviors is a process, so be gentle with yourself.
  • luckyme404
    luckyme404 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What works for me is everytime I think I am hungry, I drink 2 cups of water, fast. I wait, and usually it takes the hunger trigger away. Then before I eat anything, I drink 2 cups of water. Yes, I visit the restroom often, but it works for me, especially on the weekends.
  • cartersmom06
    Options
    Thank you citygirl3133 and CafeRacer808 for taking the time to help me out! Great words of wisdom!!
  • tap_0072
    tap_0072 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I have always struggled with this as well. I got off the bandwagon, and just started logging again 2 weeks ago. This time I have made my weekly weigh-in on Monday. I have also logged EVERYTHING I eat in. My diary is open, and so that has held me more accountable. In the past I would binge on the weekends, and not log anything. For me the key is just recording everything I put in my mouth. I still have gone over on the weekends a bit, but not nearly as much. I am looking for friends, so feel free to befriend me, and good luck!
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Agree with what a lot of people have said: plan, work in treats, don't eat stuff you don't actually want (your kid's leftovers), plan restaurant meals...also, if you have 'treats' around the house (I'm assuming when you say munchies, you mean the brand), open the bag when it comes hope and weigh it into single servings. Seal it up, only have one. I'll do this with pretzels, Cheez Its, etc...makes it harder to just munch from the package.

I've been trying to prelog, too, maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't...I don't always eat what I prelogged...sometimes we change things up, but I try to stick to it mostly.

I plan my meals a week (or sometimes a month, when I'm being compulsive) in advance, shop once a week (we cook day-to-day, not organized or efficient enough to do it all in one). I keep a lot of fresh fruit and veg around that I like to snack on and not much junk (though I buy chips in single serve packages for the occasional desperate-for-chips moments).