Former Weight watchers

Options
I'm still pretty determined not to return Weight watchers. It was getting nearly impossible to find aJgood meeting. I suspect at least one leader had an eating disorder and one receptionist looked anorexic. Yet I do miss some of the in person support. It's not a generally known fact but you can sit in on a meeting. Just tell them you are considering rejoining or just slip in without saying anything. Have any former Weight Watchers done this. I'm retiring in a couple of months so I need to cut expenses.

Please any feedback would be aporeciated

Replies

• Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I live in a very remote area where there is only one place to meet within 70kms. So unfortunately that was never an option for me. I used weight waters 5yrs ago. And although I successfully lost weight, it was expensive and never taught me how to really watch what I was eating. I relied heavily on their foods because they were already in a 'point system'.

I understand wanting that in person support. I found a lot on here. Even though it's not face to face like a meeting, it really helps to have people to talk to. And bonus, it's free and only cost is to give that support back to those same people.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be going back to WW soon too. Mostly for the weigh-in's and meeting support. I do NOT like their new way of calculating points - they only focus on saturated fat, protein, calories and carbs. Following MFP, I'm losing weight, but if I used their numbers, I'd be through my points in 2 days. (Before they changed to this new way, the old points system worked better for me and I was able to "use that as backup" to "keep within a certain range" of points/calories.)
  • pammitchell413
    pammitchell413 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yep a lifetime member of WW but now 15 lbs over and you have to pay till you are within two lbs I think of goal. Wayyy too expensive! I liked someone else weighing me but that's alot of money to have someone else tell me I'm not at goal!
  • HappyBride917
    HappyBride917 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling right now between weight watchers and my fitness pal. I like my fitness pal, but I feel like I HAVE to stay with weight watchers. I have a lot going on this year, and I could really use that extra $45/50 a month. It's so expensive. In the last year I've given them $600 in meetings alone, not to mention food costs...and I've lost 11 lbs. Anyone looking to stick with MFP and want to be friends just add me, maybe we could provide each other with the support from the meetings.
  • SpoonInTheRoad
    SpoonInTheRoad Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 lbs. with WW two years ago and I have regained 25 of it. I had three injuries this year (KLUTZ, I KNOW!) and that kept me out of my fitness routine. Fast forward to this month and I almost rejoined WW until I researched and found out the new Smart Points would put me at roughly 1000 calories a day which is INSANE. That's like the original WW decades ago when everybody thought basically starving was a great idea. I'm doing about 1600 calories on MFP and losing weight and I'm also using intermittent fasting. (You eat during 6-10 hours a day but don't eat the rest of the time. Works GREAT for me.) And I'm back to my normal exercise 4-5 times per week.

I think the new WW is a JOKE and beyond that is potentially dangerous at the calorie level happening. Unless they switch back to Points Plus, I would never recommend it to anyone who desires health and healthy weight loss because they are also out of step with the latest (meaning in the last 20 years) nutritional advice. They're still advocating low/no fat foods, artificial sweeteners, and other tweaks just to keep those calories very low. I agree with Noel_57. WW needs to admit this was a HUGE mistake. There are so many complaints all over the internet and I imagine their revenue is tanking. And so it should. MFP offers support and EXCELLENT tracking of everything. I'm using the Free version but I'm going to pay the $50 not because I need anything else but because they deserve it.

Best of everything, Cathy Falcone. You can do this. WE can do this. We don't need WW.
  • SpoonInTheRoad
    Options
    And I'm pretty new to the forums. How do you add someone, HappyBride917? I hovered over your name but it just brings up the "Send A Message" window. Is there a way to just connect ourselves?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    And I'm pretty new to the forums. How do you add someone, HappyBride917? I hovered over your name but it just brings up the "Send A Message" window. Is there a way to just connect ourselves?

Click on her name, then when the send a message window pops up, click her name again. It will take you to her profile page and there will be an "add friend" button
  • SpoonInTheRoad
    Options
    Thank you, Alatariel75!
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Try TOPS!
  • 714ally
    714ally Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am former WW and gave up on it with the smart points program. Like many of you, I lost weight on points plus but not the current program, plus they really messed up the website to where it is so cumbersome to track. MFP's tracker is very similar to the old WW, however I do miss the meetings and support. I wish there was a way to find folks in the same boat easier on MFP.
  • colobon
    colobon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I once lost 75 lbs on WW so I have to say the program works as long as you stay on it, but that was a prior points system. The weigh-ins made me accountable, which I needed, and I never left a meeting feeling crummy. But Life happened and I gained the weight back plus some. Enter MFP with great free tracking and an active online community. It's everything I need except the third-party accountability. I haven't had the same success on my own, but I can't make myself pay for meetings again when I've heard the material over and over by now.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    You can start your own group here on MFP. Also you might want to consider a Facebook private group if you are on Facebook - you can keep it as small as you want. I belong to one such group on Facebook. We all weigh in on Wednesday ( we take a pic of our scale readout with our phone and message it to our leader.) We share tips and encourage one another. And it's free. :) No need for WW with MFP and some online friends. :)
  • pattib1029
    pattib1029 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    You can start your own group here on MFP. Also you might want to consider a Facebook private group if you are on Facebook - you can keep it as small as you want. I belong to one such group on Facebook. We all weigh in on Wednesday ( we take a pic of our scale readout with our phone and message it to our leader.) We share tips and encourage one another. And it's free. :) No need for WW with MFP and some online friends. :)

That sounds awesome!

I'm thinking about leaving WW myself. I just do online so I don't do meetings or anything. I've been on the new points since dec 30th. I haven't lost much, but it haven't been very long. Today I had reached my daily points, but when I logged on MFP it only came out to 1100 calories! No wonder I was starving! That was after having a very healthy balanced day. That is just way to low for an active young woman! To lose one pound a week MFP has me at 1640. That is much more manageable to me.