"SENIOR" FOCUSING ON HEALTH MORE THAN WEIGHT

Options
I am 66 & retired, have slightly high blood pressure, have just been warned by Doc that blood sugar may be an issue! Determined to maintain motivation, make sensible changes & keep them up long term to improve my health .... would be nice to lose weight to but good health is my primary focus. Tracking my exercise program & food intake here has already helped a lot!

Replies

• k2theSo
    k2theSo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Way to go! What kind of exercise are you into?
  • LadyDriver17
    LadyDriver17 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics 3 times a week for 45 minutes/session, riding the elliptical for at least 20 minutes on the days I don't go to the pool; I hope to start walking in the spring, right now our streets are too icy.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Does your name mean you like golf or drive a 16 wheeler? LoL

I began paying attention to my health/weight at age 65, four years ago.

Joined WWers, started water aerobics, then added swimming laps and I try to get 10K steps on Fitbit.

So after four years I've lost 149#, got off Rx for high cholesterol, reduced meds for high BP and may soon get off Rx meds for Type 2 diabetes completely.

SW 376
    CW 227
    GW 188 (half SW! What I weighed in HS!)

I went to my 50th HS reunion last Aug, I was happy to NOT be the biggest guy there.
  • joyoakey
    joyoakey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 68 and recently retired also. I'm a masters runner and don't want to lose muscle tissue, which we do as we age. My weight and BMI are normal. I do need half a blood pressure pill and half a crestor (family history issues). I do some strength training for the muscles and some running and intervals, but find it harder and harder to maintain endurance. That said, I know I'm soooo lucky so far not to have joint problems. I keep this tracker to make sure I'm eating enough protein and nutritious vegetables, whole grains, etc.
  • LadyDriver17
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My names is because I love cars lol ..... but Corvettes & Jaguars (I have one of each) .... not big trucks! It's nice to see folks my age here, worrying about the same things I do ..... I have family history of high BP but no issues with cholesterol ..... used to run & would like to get back to it but my stamina isn't what it used to be ..... but maybe this summer ...... unfortunately hubby & I love to socialize so controlling food intake is tough on the weekends when wine & barbecuing is involved ......
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    69 here and in this for both weight loss and increasing my daily TDEE
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    A Vette AND a Jag WOW!

I drive an 11 yo Dodge Dakota pickup LoL
    Every time I bring up getting a new vehicle DW says no because it's paid for.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I am 66 & retired, have slightly high blood pressure, have just been warned by Doc that blood sugar may be an issue! Determined to maintain motivation, make sensible changes & keep them up long term to improve my health .... would be nice to lose weight to but good health is my primary focus. Tracking my exercise program & food intake here has already helped a lot!

Fortunately for you, you can probably kill three birds with one stone. Exercise and weight loss (if you're overweight) are among the most effective things you can do to improve your blood pressure and blood sugar.
  • LadyDriver17
    Options
    A Vette AND a Jag WOW!

I drive an 11 yo Dodge Dakota pickup LoL
    Every time I bring up getting a new vehicle DW says no because it's paid for.

LOL .... we are car people, belong to clubs, have lots of car friends .... the Jag is a 98, the Vette is 2001, both paid for but got good deals because we bought from friends .... hubby also has a 72 Vette & a 55 Chev .... it's a big thing in our lives .....