Chronic illness and physical disability

Options
I have depression and knee issues, ACL MCL and in need of a total knee replacement. Exercise isn't right now in the total plan. It is in the workout part of what I need to do. I've been told about chair-exercise... and I can not find any videos or anything on it. What do you do when you need do workout but cant?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Have you tried YouTube? Lots of exercise videos there, I'm sure you'll find something.

As far as weight loss exercise isn't necessary: just set your goals, log your food daily and stay within your calorie allotment to lose weight.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Search YouTube specifically for chair fitness or chair exercises. Alternatively/additionally, get some resistance bands or physical therapy tubing and use that to work your upper body.
  • ninthnarnian
    ninthnarnian Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    In full agreement with the above posters. :)

Just wanted to add- as a person with a disability, I find it encouraging to keep my mind focused on what I CAN do.

Every day I have to decide- "What can I do today to help my weight loss?"

You can do this!

Log those calories and stay within your limits- it works :)

• lizetrombley
    lizetrombley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My mom has had a knee replacement and now waiting for the other one to be done. Since before the first one she would do water exercises ... it's the only way for her ...
  • Heyheather2711
    Heyheather2711 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am 29 instead for the wheelchair due to a very Rare neuromuscular disease I would love to connect with others and get encouragement as well
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100lbs from October 2015 until my knee replacement surgery in November 2016. I did not exercise - couldnt! Weight loss is accomplished through watching what and how much you eat, and toning and firming is what the gym and exercise ifs for. Monitor your food intake and you will see results without setting foot in a gym, or jumping around to a video or DVD.

I am now recovered from the first knee surgery and am awaiting the next one!!