My dinner conversion help?

Options
dniania
dniania Posts: 251 Member
I'm having a hard time converting my shredded lettuce to grams .. ok 1 serving is 100 grams and I want to eat 3 servings how many cups of lettuce is that

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    300 grams? :huh:
  • dniania
    dniania Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I mean I can't convert grams to cups I'm getting different answers
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    dniania wrote: »

Because grams is a solid measurement (weight) and cups are a liquid measurement (volume).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Do you have a food scale?

You definitely need one of these.
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time converting my shredded lettuce to grams .. ok 1 serving is 100 grams and I want to eat 3 servings how many cups of lettuce is that

1/2 cup
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

Because grams is a solid measurement (weight) and cups are a liquid measurement (volume).

This. Your logging won't be accurate if you're using volumetric measurements for solid foods. And if your logging is inaccurate, then it's likely you're consuming more calories than you think you are.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Isn't one cup roughly 240 grams? But surely it's easier to calculate in grams anyway.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    convertunits.com is your friend.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

1/2 cup

Nope.
  • TheSkyBlushed
    TheSkyBlushed Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the posts. It would depend upon what type of lettuce, is it chopped or shredded, etc.? You can fit more shredded lettuce than chopped or whole baby lettuce in a cup. If you can swing it I'd get a scale, I have a "Ozeri" scale that will weigh in several different measurements ounces, pounds, ml, g. I think I bought it on Amazon but they are available just about everywhere. Good luck!
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, it's 'lettuce'. Huge amounts are still extremely low in calories. Eat however much you want and don't sweat it.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Isn't one cup roughly 240 grams? But surely it's easier to calculate in grams anyway.

Nope, one cup is 250 ml (not grams) (in Australia) and a bit less in the US. I don't know about other countries.

You can't just convert a cup measurement to a weight measurement because foods have different densities - if you think about it, a cup of minced meat is going to weigh more than a cup of marshmallows.

This is why weighing food is great for solids (eg 100g meat) , cups are best used for liquids (eg 100ml milk).

The only time I like cup measures for things like lettuce is if I'm out and need to estimate - it's easier for me to think "that's about a cup of lettuce or cherry tomatoes, or two cups of soup" vs "oh, probably 85g of lettuce or 500ml of soup". In this instance, I know these numbers are estimated but I can live with that.