Out of the country for a month

Options
In August for the whole of August, I will be staying in a different country in a strange house with strange people, no gym, not much choice over my meals and limited internet access.
Hahaha just realised how creepy that sounds.

But seriously, I'm thinking that the food will probably be quite high carbs, and I've been consuming pretty low carbs (I've been upping it a bit recently to see how my body reacts) probably not much protein and no access to weights unless someone else has some that I can borrow.
Any advice? Haha
I really really want to continue loosing weight while I'm away!!

I was thinking I could perhaps just roll with the high carbs and go for a run every day, some sit ups and press ups and stuff? Just don't really feel it's enough though.

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Are you taking your computer? Even though you have no internet access, you could take some DVDs and use your laptop instead of a TV to do your workouts...
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    You don't need weights to lift. Use books, chairs, whatever you can to lift. Unless you're somewhere dangerous you can still go running, do crunches, etc. Find some good exercises that don't require equipment. Here's a good place to look:
    http://www.divine.ca/en/health/exercise-finder/c_266/
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    what country are you going to? If you are going to Europe, you will have healthier food in most countries. It really depends where you are going, e.g. most countries have public pools, so swimming is a great exercise, when it is a place you haven't been yet, riding a bike to see the area is a good option or simply jogging/running/walking.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    walking, push-ups and stair climbing is a good way to keep fit.

Remember, carbs turn into glycogen within 48 hours and will turn into fat for storage, so as long as you do cardio (different that just strolling in the park) every other day, you should be fine.

I would wake up an hour early and go for a morning walk, then at night, or after work, walk for another hour.
  • sarahlasvegas
    sarahlasvegas Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Take a laptop with DVDs as said above.

Where are you going? It will help get more helpful replies.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't have a laptop.
    I'm going to th Netherlands and will have a bike, actually. So I do plan to use that as much as possible.
    I will be working 6 days a week and food's provided so I'm guessing it'll be cheap food. Which is why I'm assuming it'll be high carb.

Oh and thanks marquesajen for that site, I'm checking it out now.
  • barbara1982
    barbara1982 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi Missylydia!

In Europe if you get food provided, they mostly offer at least two different dishes/menus. One for vegetarians and one normal. I'm sure you can find a gym somewhere close to your work. Maybe you can register at a gym for a month!

And in Europe you also have WIFI in a lot of places and you can still find some internet cafés.

Where and what will you work?

Good luck! Enjoy your time!
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am working at a Christian youth hostel and staying in a community house shared by all the staff. I dont get paid and its costing me a lot of money in unpaid time off ny normal work, so I really wont be able to afford a gym membership for a month.

I am now thinking I should maybe just go cardio mad (run and cycle as much as possible) and burn as much as possible then work on muscles when I get home.