Options
12346»

Replies

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    alid8333 wrote: »
    My Apple Watch separates my active calories from my total calories during each workout. Still not 100% sure why lol. It also doesn't monitor my heart rate at all times either. It takes it I think every 10 min.

I did a test of my own today during my workout. I wore my Apple Watch with the HRM connected to it AND I wore my old Fitbit HR. My Apple Watch said I burned 225 calories during a 38 min walk at 3mph at a incline of 4 with my heart rate at 135 which is around 70% of my maximum heart rate. The Fitbit said I burned 295 calories. Fitbit said my heart rate was 130 yet I burned more calories. Steps wise they were both right around each other. pxlbz4a9y6g5.png

Just wanted to point out that your Fitbit and Apple Watch are giving you the same calories burned number. The Apple Watch breaks it down into 'active calories' which are burned in addition to what you would burn just sitting around (RMR) and total which is active+RMR. Fitbit just gives you total.
    Apple Watch total = Fitbit = 295

Makes sense. So I guess my Apple Watch is pretty spot on with a Fitbit. So if I'm getting two devices that are giving me roughly the same calories burned while working out would you say that my burn isn't to far off from what their saying?

Probably. I think both these devices measure your heart rate and use that along with other data to estimate your calorie burn. The fact that you are getting the same numbers probably just means that they are using the same equation based on your data.
    I don't know whether your cardiac issues might impact on how those calculations work compared to people who don't have these problems... I'm not saying this is the case, but if it was me, I'd ask my heart doc.

Really though, none of these numbers matter too much. You have identified that you are losing weight at a faster rather than planned and that is probably not a good thing, especially if your body is healing itself. Your decision to eat a few hundred more cals a day sounds like a very good idea, regardless of the actual numbers pointing you in that direction. Once you do this for a few weeks or a month you can take another look at your progress and your health (and of course your medical advice) and tweak things again if needed.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    400 calories for an hour is too high, but is not too high for an incline, depending on the incline. The best way to go about this is to set MFP to lose 1 pound a week, eat back the 400 calories and after a few weeks see if you averaged a pound a week. Simple as that. If you average a smaller loss, the HRM is over-estimating your calories (or your sedentary is even lower than the MFP sedentary, which happens), if you average about what you expect then you are good to go, if you average a higher loss, then your HRM is underestimating or you are not as sedentary as you think. You basically modify your calories based on your results, no guess work needed.
  • alid8333
    alid8333 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    400 calories for an hour is too high, but is not too high for an incline, depending on the incline. The best way to go about this is to set MFP to lose 1 pound a week, eat back the 400 calories and after a few weeks see if you averaged a pound a week. Simple as that. If you average a smaller loss, the HRM is over-estimating your calories (or your sedentary is even lower than the MFP sedentary, which happens), if you average about what you expect then you are good to go, if you average a higher loss, then your HRM is underestimating or you are not as sedentary as you think. You basically modify your calories based on your results, no guess work needed.

Usually at a incline of 6, but sometimes higher. Heart rate within 70 to 75% of my maximum heart rate.

I've been losing to quickly actually so I have bumped my calories up some and started eating back 50% of my exercise calories

Heart doctor has told me my heart issue doesn't impact how many calories I burn while working out.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Usually at a incline of 6, but sometimes higher. Heart rate within 70 to 75% of my maximum heart rate.

I've been losing to quickly actually so I have bumped my calories up some and started eating back 50% of my exercise calories

Heart doctor has told me my heart issue doesn't impact how many calories I burn while working out.

Then you are doing well! Many people don't realize how many calories each degree of incline adds so 400 is not all that unbelievable. The first 6 degrees of incline nearly double the burn. Keep fine tuning the calories you eat until you reach a point where you are losing 1 pound a week.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    [quote

[/quote]

If we take out the calorie burn issue that so many people are mentioning, you ARE losing and quickly so you are right to eat back up to 50% of your exercise calories.

(edited to add, I didn't do the quote thingy right! doh!)
  • alid8333
    Options

Then you are doing well! Many people don't realize how many calories each degree of incline adds so 400 is not all that unbelievable. The first 6 degrees of incline nearly double the burn. Keep fine tuning the calories you eat until you reach a point where you are losing 1 pound a week.

Yeah I plan on doing this for a couple weeks and see how it does. I'm fine with a 1.5 pounds loss a week but anything more than 2 isn't ok. I'll get it all figured out. My doctor put me in contact with a certified personal trainer and I talked to her over the weekend. She said because I'm walking at 3 to 3.5mph at a incline of 6 or more that it's very possible I am burning around 350 to 400 in the 75 minutes that I'm walking (counting warm up and cool down).

But to be on the safe side I'm only going to intake 50% of the calories my Apple Watch says I burned. She also said that seems reasonable and if I keep losing to much to up it to 75% of the calories and then 100% I'f I'm still losing to quickly. If that fails then I need to up my calorie goal for the day. I know it's all about tweaking with it as everyone is different.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That seems like a really good plan.
  • alid8333
    Options
    [quote

If we take out the calorie burn issue that so many people are mentioning, you ARE losing and quickly so you are right to eat back up to 50% of your exercise calories.

(edited to add, I didn't do the quote thingy right! doh!)
    [/quote]

If I still lose to quickly I was advised to bump it up to 75% and if still losing to quickly then 100%. Of all that fails then to bump up my calorie goal for the day. But I don't think it will come to that. I'm going to give this a couple weeks and see how it goes and so adjustments from there.
  • alid8333
    Options
    So after adjusting my calorie intake last week I went up to 1390 instead of 1200 and started eating back my exercise calories and I'm now losing at 2 pounds a week instead of 3.5. I'm going to give it some more time. Still losing more than what I have MFP set to but at least I'm not losing as much a week.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I know you're very busy, but maybe you could find a nearby Medically Oriented Gym with fitness experts who have a medical interest and who will be able to advise you, alongside your doctor. Losing weight, heart rate, all that paired with a medical concern is very important to monitor correctly. I'm sure they would sit down with you and discuss your numbers without requiring a membership first- then put that conversation to paper and send to your doctor and nutritionist.
  • alid8333
    Options
    I know you're very busy, but maybe you could find a nearby Medically Oriented Gym with fitness experts who have a medical interest and who will be able to advise you, alongside your doctor. Losing weight, heart rate, all that paired with a medical concern is very important to monitor correctly. I'm sure they would sit down with you and discuss your numbers without requiring a membership first- then put that conversation to paper and send to your doctor and nutritionist.

My heart doctor has already put me in touch with a certified personal trainer who deals with a lot of heart patients and is working with me.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So after adjusting my calorie intake last week I went up to 1390 instead of 1200 and started eating back my exercise calories and I'm now losing at 2 pounds a week instead of 3.5. I'm going to give it some more time. Still losing more than what I have MFP set to but at least I'm not losing as much a week.

This sounds good.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught up in arguing about what you burn. The cardio is excellent and the added burn help with deficit. However, your main place to cut calories is in your calorie intake, and seem that was really the question on what your target caloric intake should be.

What is weight, height, age?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Giving it more time is the right thing to do. I've no idea if the 400 is high or low, and I don't know if your heart condition impacts or not. As well, I think I recall that you are on meds that may impact your heart rate. Either way, do what you are currently doing for at least a month before making changes. But to be clear, are you eating ~1390 plus the 400 your exercising? So about 1700 - 1800 a day on average? Just checking.
  • alid8333
    Options

Giving it more time is the right thing to do. I've no idea if the 400 is high or low, and I don't know if your heart condition impacts or not. As well, I think I recall that you are on meds that may impact your heart rate. Either way, do what you are currently doing for at least a month before making changes. But to be clear, are you eating ~1390 plus the 400 your exercising? So about 1700 - 1800 a day on average? Just checking.

I'm not on any heart medication only Crohns meds which doesn't mess with my heart. I'm eating about 75% of my calories I've burned back.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I'm not on any heart medication only Crohns meds which doesn't mess with my heart. I'm eating about 75% of my calories I've burned back.

sounds like a plan OP ...let us know how it goes and good luck