Nauseous with hunger when cutting calories

Options
I'm attempting to cut my calories to 1800 but I'm feeling nauseous through hunger all the time, is this my body adapting to smaller portions?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    What sort of foods are you eating? I need to eat volume to be satisfied, so I pick foods accordingly. I also like protein for satiety - eating meals with too little protein leaves me starving in minutes.

Others like more fat. Or starchy carbs. Many small meals or fewer big meals - lots of small meals makes me constantly hungry, I eat big meals 2-3 times a day . You may need to rethink your food choices to better fuel.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eat smaller meals, more frequently, may help.

1800 is above my maintenance, so im jealous. LOLOLOL
  • arunchick
    arunchick Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Gravol Ginger helps too! It's non drowsy and all natural too!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Judging from your diary, it's probably because you're not actually eating that much.
  • AngeleyesJo
    AngeleyesJo Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I had 50g oatmeal with peanut butter, raspberries almond milk and flaxseed this morning
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Maybe try for foods where you get more volume for your calorie spend? peanut butter is very high in calories for a small amount.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    I had 50g oatmeal with peanut butter, raspberries almond milk and flaxseed this morning

My big toe would struggle to be satisfied on that...
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

You also netted only 1,590 calories, if your diary is correct.

I mean, I understand. I did the same thing when I first started here, and I lost a lot of weight, but I was also ALWAYS sick and miserable.
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options

What would you recommend amount wise?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

I don't really eat oats. I don't like them much and they don't register on my "feeling full" gauge.

If I was to make them, I'd bulk them out with zucchini (zoats are a thing), and add protein powder.
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    OK good idea
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

I don't really eat oats. I don't like them much and they don't register on my "feeling full" gauge.

If I was to make them, I'd bulk them out with zucchini (zoats are a thing), and add protein powder.

I make mine with mashed up banana and peanut butter, add half the recommended water, and cook them into what is basically an oatmeal muffin, and I have that with an egg and a cup of coffee with about 1/2 cup of milk in it or a latte.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    A 30g portion of oats/porridge is plenty for me personally, with a bit of dried fruit and honey/maple syrup but we're all different. I do also have a couple of coffees too, so the liquid in that also helps me feel full. But that's the only meal I'm not heavy on protein with.

I find meals with protein, fat and a smattering at least of starchy carbs work best for me. You need to experiment and see what works for you. Maybe you need to add protein to breakfast (like protein powder, or maybe switching to eggs with toast or something). Hunger is very much an individual thing and what works for me may or may not work for you.
  • IdahoAdventurer
    IdahoAdventurer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    protein helped me. I've been eating one or two eggs each morning and my hunger has gone down dramatically.
  • AngeleyesJo
    Options
    Would decent meals and less snacking be better?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Would decent meals and less snacking be better?

It's really personal. I'm more of a couple of small meals and snacks then a big meal person. Others prefer small meals. Again, you need to experiment to see what works for you.