Any Other Intermittent Eaters Out There?

Options
I won't even bore you with all the diets I've been on in my lifetime because I'm sure you can fill in the blank. If you can think of it, my answer is, "Yes." Fast forward a few decades, post kids who are now in their 20s, growing a LITTLE bit of a brain, learning dieting doesn't work and only healthy eating, portion control, and keeping track of calories ends up being the answer. (Enter MFP)

But, of course, there is always something new on the horizon. A few years ago I was introduced to the idea of interval training and then intermittent fasting. It makes sense to me because it's the way I've always wanted to eat naturally. I've never been a grazer or big snacker. My problem comes in at meals when I overeat and then I also struggle with sugar which, for now, I've cut out completely. I almost never drink my calories and I don't do any diet drinks or artificial sweeteners. It's pretty much water, a few cups of coffee a week, the occasional glass of milk (except when I'm not doing sugar, like now, because uh, what's the point of milk if there isn't a cookie or five to go with it?). So, now the tweak.

Enter the intermittent fasting. I don't do the two days a week of fasting but have chosen the long stretches each day. I wrap up my eating by 7 or 8pm and then go between 14-18 hours every day eating nothing, though of course I'm drinking water. Most days this just isn't hard for me and I know that I will be happily full for most of the 6-8 hours where my food comes in. I'm staying around 1600 calories a day and walking 4 miles at time 4-5 days a week. This feels like THE most doable thing to me but I've only been doing it for eight days. First weight loss at one week was 4.7 pounds but all of us seasoned calorie cutters know that's not unusual for a first week. So far I love it but I would seriously like to hear from others who have done it and how their weight loss was in comparison to regular eating. Also, have you been able to keep it up and for how long? I would also love to hear from those just starting, like me, so maybe we can keep up with each other. My son is doing this as well (we started together) and any advice, encouragement, or personal experience is a boost to him as well.

Hey, thanks a lot. This is my first thread start so, hello and all the encouragement out here is great. All the best!

Replies

• TheLifeOfRicardo
    TheLifeOfRicardo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I started fasting on January 8th weighing in at 314 pounds I'm now 293. I fast for 24 hours I have my first and last meal at 2pm and eat it within 15 minutes. I drink lemon water and coke zero during my fasts. It's honestly the easiest thing I've ever done I just wish I knew about this in high school then I'd probably would've been accepted by the "cool" kids. Anyways, better late than never, at this rate I should have a beach body by june at the very latest. I make an effort to get at least 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week.
  • AriaLace
    AriaLace Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I done 5:2 fasting previously and loved it. I've decided to start back up again. This week my fast days are Tuesday and Thursday. I find it much easier to only 'diet' 2 days a week. My calorie allowance for the other days is 1600 which pretty much allows me to eat what I want for most of the week.
  • SpoonInTheRoad
    SpoonInTheRoad Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding, you guys. I hope we find more like us. I would love to hear from those who've done it long term. Looking forward to my weigh in day with my son this week. I'll post the progress here and please let me know how you're doing, too. :smile:
  • SpoonInTheRoad
    SpoonInTheRoad Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I would love to hear how you guys are doing right now! I'm 84 days into this and down 23 lbs. which is right at 2 lbs. a week. MFP says I should have been losing one pound a week but I do exercise and I think the fasting - I do mine every day for between 14-18 hours - boosts my metabolism. I'm still doing it and happy. Excited to be coming up on the 90 day mark. Hope to hear from you and others as well. Hang in there!
  • rosieposiesrl
    rosieposiesrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'll Send An Add Request :smile:
    I Have Been Doing Intermittent Fasting For The Last 2Weeks & Loving The Benefits So Far!! I Plan On Making This A Permanent Part Of My Life Now.
    I Fast 16Hours & Eat Within The 8Hour Window (Eat Between 2pm - 10pm) - I Am Trialing A 6Hour Eating Window For Extra Benefits (2pm - 8pm) Starting Today.
    Would Like Any Intermittent Fasting Buddies Too! :smile:
    I've Also Just Started Interval Training Today 1st Time - It Definitely Helps With Workout Endurance As You Have A Mini Recovery Break - I'm Liking This! :smile:
  • tramaine_21
    tramaine_21 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've been on the IF train since May 2017 and I've lost over 20 lbs because of it. Definitely the kick-start in my new health lifestyle that I needed. I get a lot of my info from Dr Eric Berg....Youtube him, he's amazing!