Let's talk carbs?

Options
Dee_D33
Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
Since I entered the MFP world, I realized carbs are often looked at as evil.

I've tried restricting my carb intake in the past and it makes me miserable. I stopped, but I do make sure I'm taking in the right carbs and eating whole grain breads, pastas, etc. Carbs also help me to maintain my deficit by making me feel fuller, longer.

My question is, are there any benefits to a low carb diet? What have your experiences been on a low carb vs high carb diet?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    If reducing carbs makes you miserable, don't do it. Being miserable isn't healthy! Some people function well doing low carb, others not so much - I personally love carbs, and didn't notice huge benefits (if any) when I reduced them. If you're interested in being healthy, there are obviously carb sources that are more nutritious than others,but carbs are not evil, just like no other macronutrient is evil.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's January..... there are lots of posts about apple cider vinegar (and supposed weight loss). There are posts on other faddish diets as well (blood type diets for example). Most people here do NOT look at carbs as being evil.

Low carb diets may be necessary for people with certain medical issues. Some people mistakenly believe that low carb diets result in faster weight loss, when most of the initial loss is just water weight from glycogen stores.

If low carb is something that helps people lose weight AND they have the necessary tools to keep the weight off great. Low carb was not helpful to me because it was a temporary change, it was not something I intended to use long term. So of course I gained the weight back.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Dee_D33 wrote: »
    My question is, are there any benefits to a low carb diet? What have your experiences been on a low carb vs high carb diet?

For an individual, there might be. For someone else, none at all.

I find I am equally able to avoid hunger on a nutrient rich diet that is around 50% carbs and one that is much lower (around 100 g), as well as anywhere in-between (I haven't tried going higher or lower). Currently I prefer the lower end of that, since so long as I get a good amount of vegetables and some fruit I think decreasing carbs (especially grains) in exchange for more fat tends to be more satisfying (different than satiating) for me. But in other words, it makes me happier with my diet, not less happy (I'm just not that into grains).

If cutting carbs feels like deprivation and you are able to cut calories in another way that feels much more natural and like you aren't dieting (which is how I currently eat feels to me) than that way is probably best for you.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am a Diabetic and I need to watch the amount of carbs I consume at meals and snacks. If I eat too many carbs my blood sugar rises higher than my medication can handle and I don't feel well. That being said I can eat most things depending on how little or much I want to eat. I can eat half of a candy bar for lunch but then that would be about it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Some people find a low carb diet suits them, others struggle with it. Really, the answer is that unless you have a medical reason to restrict carbs, then do what makes you happy. In the long run, the best plan is the one that you stick to.

• amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,866 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Why are you even restricting carbs? Diabetic? To lose weight? For the latter, It doesn't matter. Eat carbs but just stay in the calorie deficit.

Carbs are life. You don't have to make yourself miserable.

:smile:
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am making a shift away from carbs to more protein because it suits me. I eat a very healthy diet but still gain weight quickly, and need to be very careful to maintain. Which I have not managed - so to lose weight I have to make some changes to an already healthy regime. I cant stop drinking or cut out the Big MAcs cos I dont have them in my normal life. When I look at my intake I see a lot of calories are from bread and pasta and rice, all wholemeal options, but still heavy in calories.

I am exercising more so increasing protein is better for that, so it makes sense to make that shift to making most meals about veg and protein rather than veg and carbs, which was my old pattern. But ultimately it is still about calories, just the change gives me a focus and an enthusiasm for tackling the weight gain. You have to choose what suits you.

I definitely don't agree that "carbs are often looked at as evil" but not all carbs are the same, I DO think that white bread and sugar are pretty shyte choices for anyone, dieting or not! I prefer to choose carbs that give me a good range of micro-nutrients as well as simply calories for better health in the long run.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    suzesvelte wrote: »
    I definitely don't agree that "carbs are often looked at as evil" but not all carbs are the same, I DO think that white bread and sugar are pretty shyte choices for anyone, dieting or not! I prefer to choose carbs that give me a good range of micro-nutrients as well as simply calories for better health in the long run.

I'll bite.

Why is white bread a poor choice for everyone?

If I am consuming a dietary intake that meets my macro and micronutrient needs why is white bread "shyte"?
    Myth – Bread does not contain any nutrients

Nutrients are lost during the milling process of flour that is used in a whole host of products including bread and the amount lost will depend on the amount of bran and germ removed. However, the key nutrients lost through milling – i.e. calcium, iron, and the B vitamins thiamine and niacin, must be restored to white and brown bread flour by law in the UK. This ensures that white and brown breads contain similar levels of these key nutrients to wholegrain bread.

According to the Government’s National Diet and Nutrition Survey (NDNS), bread provides more than 10% of our daily intake of protein, folate and iron, and around 20% or more of fibre, calcium and magnesium. Wholemeal bread contains more of some vitamins and minerals than white bread, because some of the parts of the grain removed to make white flour are nutrient-rich. As many of the nutrients are restored in white and brown bread flour (detailed above) although there are small differences in the content of some minerals (i.e. magnesium and zinc) the main difference between white, brown and wholemeal bread is the fibre content. Nevertheless, because of its popularity, white bread still provides some 10% of our daily fibre, iron, magnesium and calcium and smaller proportions of other vitamins and minerals.

A good range of micro-nutrients, no?

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/nutritioninthenews/previous-facts-behind-the-headlines/bread.html
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I've tried restricting my carb intake in the past and it makes me miserable. I stopped, but I do make sure I'm taking in the right carbs and eating whole grain breads, pastas, etc. Carbs also help me to maintain my deficit by making me feel fuller, longer.

Nah, it's just that there's a handful of very vocal low carbers here. And then a bunch of new members who've joined because it's January, and they're coming in with all the latest diet fad baggage attached-most of it will be removed after they've hung out her for a while though :D

Pay attention to the posters who've lost the extra weight and who are now successfully maintaining. Many of those people will be giving the advice to focus on calorie intake, because that's actually what matters for weight loss and maintenance. There's nothing wrong with low carbing if it's a woe that you enjoy and feel comfortable doing for the rest of your life, but at the base of any diet there must be a calorie deficit in order for it to be successful for weight loss.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    carbs = love; gimme gimme carbs :)

I was struggling with weight last year and finally started working with some professionals (RD, PhD types) and first thing they did was up my carbs (I have no health issues, aside from thyroid meds) - I take in a high of 289g of carbs a day and a low of 179g (avg 248 daily/week) - and I've lost 8lbs since November
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I am making a shift away from carbs to more protein because it suits me. I eat a very healthy diet but still gain weight quickly, and need to be very careful to maintain. Which I have not managed - so to lose weight I have to make some changes to an already healthy regime. I cant stop drinking or cut out the Big MAcs cos I dont have them in my normal life. When I look at my intake I see a lot of calories are from bread and pasta and rice, all wholemeal options, but still heavy in calories.

I am exercising more so increasing protein is better for that, so it makes sense to make that shift to making most meals about veg and protein rather than veg and carbs, which was my old pattern. But ultimately it is still about calories, just the change gives me a focus and an enthusiasm for tackling the weight gain. You have to choose what suits you.

Wrong.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Nah, it's just that there's a handful of very vocal low carbers here. And then a bunch of new members who've joined because it's January, and they're coming in with all the latest diet fad baggage attached-most of it will be removed after they've hung out her for a while though :D

Pay attention to the posters who've lost the extra weight and who are now successfully maintaining. Many of those people will be giving the advice to focus on calorie intake, because that's actually what matters for weight loss and maintenance. There's nothing wrong with low carbing if it's a woe that you enjoy and feel comfortable doing for the rest of your life, but at the base of any diet there must be a calorie deficit in order for it to be successful for weight loss.

Nailed It!

Standingovation.gif

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm not a low-carber ... 50% of my intake is carbs. But, for me, if too much of that intake is of heavily refined carbs, then my appetite seems to go through the roof. So, most of my carbs are whole grains, fresh vegs or fruit, which are all filling and keep the "hangriness" away. But I keep a little space set aside for bit of cake, a cookie or two, etc. It's a matter of finding your balance point.

I tried very low carbs ... didn't work for me. Moderation all around was my path to sustained success.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

I'll bite.

Why is white bread a poor choice for everyone?

If I am consuming a dietary intake that meets my macro and micronutrient needs why is white bread "shyte"?
    Myth – Bread does not contain any nutrients

Nutrients are lost during the milling process of flour that is used in a whole host of products including bread and the amount lost will depend on the amount of bran and germ removed. However, the key nutrients lost through milling – i.e. calcium, iron, and the B vitamins thiamine and niacin, must be restored to white and brown bread flour by law in the UK. This ensures that white and brown breads contain similar levels of these key nutrients to wholegrain bread.

According to the Government’s National Diet and Nutrition Survey (NDNS), bread provides more than 10% of our daily intake of protein, folate and iron, and around 20% or more of fibre, calcium and magnesium. Wholemeal bread contains more of some vitamins and minerals than white bread, because some of the parts of the grain removed to make white flour are nutrient-rich. As many of the nutrients are restored in white and brown bread flour (detailed above) although there are small differences in the content of some minerals (i.e. magnesium and zinc) the main difference between white, brown and wholemeal bread is the fibre content. Nevertheless, because of its popularity, white bread still provides some 10% of our daily fibre, iron, magnesium and calcium and smaller proportions of other vitamins and minerals.

A good range of micro-nutrients, no?

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/nutritioninthenews/previous-facts-behind-the-headlines/bread.html

In addition to this, and what crazycatlady said (agree about the ovation!), white bread is essentially the same as white pasta. I enjoy pasta, and in particular find it an easy and fast -- and fast is important sometimes -- base for a healthful dinner, for example one I might make from some shrimp, whatever vegetables are in my refrigerator (zucchini and tomatoes and broccoli plus mushrooms would likely make the cut today), sauteed in olive oil to become the sauce. All together that's a lovely and filling meal with lots of macros. Yeah, I could use spaghetti squash, but the calories would be lower than I want and nothing wrong with some pasta (56 g is not hard to fit in my calories at all).

I often use whole wheat pasta, especially with a spicier sauce, but the actual nutrition information is not that different.

I mention this, even though I understand lowering carbs -- like I said above, mine aren't low, but are on the lower side currently -- because of the concern about carbs being demonized, as noted above. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with including pasta or bread or some rice (like with pasta brown rice is not demonstrably more nutrient dense than white since it's not clear how well we can absorb the nutrients in it, vs. the ones in enriched white rice) or of course potatoes or any number of other staple carbs as part of a meal. It's not essential and skipping it can be a good way to lower calories sometimes, but it's certainly not unhealthy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

For an individual, there might be. For someone else, none at all.

I find I am equally able to avoid hunger on a nutrient rich diet that is around 50% carbs and one that is much lower (around 100 g), as well as anywhere in-between (I haven't tried going higher or lower). Currently I prefer the lower end of that, since so long as I get a good amount of vegetables and some fruit I think decreasing carbs (especially grains) in exchange for more fat tends to be more satisfying (different than satiating) for me. But in other words, it makes me happier with my diet, not less happy (I'm just not that into grains).

If cutting carbs feels like deprivation and you are able to cut calories in another way that feels much more natural and like you aren't dieting (which is how I currently eat feels to me) than that way is probably best for you.

I'm similar. For the last 15 years I've eaten fewer carbs than the average american (probably around 100 grams), that are mostly vegetables, legumes, and some fruits, and some (limited) whole grains. I eat more fats like nuts and avocado. And then I fill in the rest with protein: fish, dairy, meat, etc. I find it easier to eat within my goals this way.
    When I start to eat a lot of grains, even whole grains, I find that I'm hungrier, especially between meals, leaves my less "full" feeling, and I have more cravings.

For me this might mean:
    steel cut oats and an egg for breakfast (or two eggs for breakfast)
    an apple for a snack
    a big salad for lunch
    some nuts for a snack
    salmon and brocoli for dinner

Some folks find that restricting their carbs very low makes it easier to keep a deficit and many find that they just feel better. Some folks don't.

ETA: I don't tend to eat bread with enriched, bleached flour. I figure it makes more sense to me to eat whole grain bread, than bread that had stuff removed and was then "enriched" to put stuff back. I also tend to eat bread with a very short ingredient list (why do I need the other stuff?), and more fiber.

I don't consider if things are "white" or "brown", but rather whether they've been heavily refined, and then "enriched". I tend to not each much of those. Or "minute rice" or "quick oats"... but that's just preference.
  • cfritchley26
    cfritchley26 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've tried restricting my carb intake in the past and it makes me miserable.

A few years ago I did a very low carb diet - I would stick to 20 g of carbs or less a day, and I felt miserable too. I was always hangry, felt deprived a lot (which made me binge a lot), and I had low energy. I learned that for me I need low/moderate carbs. So I eat between 100-120 g of carbs a day - depending on my activity. And if I am super active that day I allow myself to go to 150. If I eat too many carbs I feel sluggish and bloated - then I get hungry soon after.

I love carbs, but I also know that my body doesn't respond well to a large amount of them. My 100-150 g moderation plan is perfect for me. I can still have pasta or ice cream, whatever, if I absolutely want it - it isn't too hard to fit into my day!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've never done low carb and I've never had a problem losing weight. I also pay attention to the type of carbs I eat. More fiber = more good IMO.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I fully disagree with the last part. I eat white bread as I am on a low fiber diet for health reasons and it's a much better choice than whole wheat bread for me. Generalization isn't a good thing.

Oh btw I'm long time maintaining 130 at 5'8 so obviously no ill effects from white bread or sugar.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

For some individuals this requires them to cut out 90% of the foods they commonly eat and usually causes them to under-eat total calories. For some individuals they feel more satiated eating less carbohydrates and more high-fat foods.

For some individuals who have medical conditions (like diabetes, PCOS, insulin resistance) low carb can help them control their blood sugar levels.

The opposite is also true though. For some people they cannot stick to low-carb because they aren't able to eat the foods they know and love. This is awful for long-term body maintenance.

For some they may feel cranky, awful, starving, low energy, and more without enough carbs.

There is no inherent benefit to low carbohydrate. As a matter of fact most of the micronutrient rich foods we consume are found in primarily carbohydrate sources (fruits, vegetables, and grains). I would say that individuals should choose an eating style or plan that coincides with their personal preferences while also meeting minimum recommendations for amino acids and EFAs as well as the plethora of vitamins and minerals we need daily. Luckily this can generally be achieved on any "diet".
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

For some individuals this requires them to cut out 90% of the foods they commonly eat and usually causes them to under-eat total calories. For some individuals they feel more satiated eating less carbohydrates and more high-fat foods.

For some individuals who have medical conditions (like diabetes, PCOS, insulin resistance) low carb can help them control their blood sugar levels.

The opposite is also true though. For some people they cannot stick to low-carb because they aren't able to eat the foods they know and love. This is awful for long-term body maintenance.

For some they may feel cranky, awful, starving, low energy, and more without enough carbs.

There is no inherent benefit to low carbohydrate. As a matter of fact most of the micronutrient rich foods we consume are found in primarily carbohydrate sources (fruits, vegetables, and grains). I would say that individuals should choose an eating style or plan that coincides with their personal preferences while also meeting minimum recommendations for amino acids and EFAs as well as the plethora of vitamins and minerals we need daily. Luckily this can generally be achieved on any "diet".

Great post, spot on :)