Question on calories burned during running

Options
So today I ran about 7 miles on the treadmill, which my treadmill reported as about 800 calories burned. But on MyFitnessPal, the tool that measures your exercise during the day says that I only burned 118 calories (I run with my phone attached to me.) I'm confused how this can be. Is the treadmill wrong? 118 seems to be a little low for 7 miles, but I was thinking that maybe it's because I don't weigh very much... Can someone explain this?

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Studies show that running is weight x .6 x miles = approx net calorie burn.

MFP doesn't know you ran unless you log the exercise, and is known to estimate high for quite a few exercises. Unless you are very small, your treadmill is probably giving you a fairly close estimate.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    As a very rough guide, you burn about 100 calories per mile running, in which case your treadmill is giving you a fairly close estimate.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    But on MyFitnessPal, the tool that measures your exercise during the day says that I only burned 118 calories (I run with my phone attached to me.)

The tool, or GPS, can tell what you're doing on a treadmill. You can turn it on and say your doing treadmill, but it can't track you. The treadmill has at least a belt, speed, and sometimes heart rate monitor to estimate your calories. When outdoors, the phone's GPS uses distance and speed to estimate calorie burn but can't do that if you are not creating distance.

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    As a very rough guide, you burn about 100 calories per mile running, in which case your treadmill is giving you a fairly close estimate.

This is the estimate that I generally use, 100 calories for a mile travelled. Doesn't matter if you're running or walking. One just hits that 100 calories burnt quicker than the other.
  • giovanna8830
    giovanna8830 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    MHR 70% .....0,9cal x 60kg x 11km =594cal. (70% carb.....30% fat)= 19/20g fat .. :p ... Not The best Way to lose fat :)
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Both are probably wrong...especially if you didn't enter your weight into the treadmill. When I do run on a treadmill, it always over estimates my calorie burns.

Here are the calorie burn formulas for running, which are still approximations, but they should be closer to reality.

Total calorie burn:
    .75 * weight * miles ran

Net calorie burn (calories burned minus basal metabolism):
    .63 * weight * miles ran

https://www.google.com/amp/www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?amp?client=ms-android-sprint-us
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »

This is the estimate that I generally use, 100 calories for a mile travelled. Doesn't matter if you're running or walking. One just hits that 100 calories burnt quicker than the other.

Running burns about 2x as many calories per mile. When you walk, you almost always have at least one foot on the ground, when you run, you're jumping from one leg to the other.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    The TM will also include the incline, which burns more calories. I think mine overestimates calories burned, since it doesn't know my weight, so I just enter the time/miles. i.e. 7 miles = 70 minutes at 10 mpm = 680 calories. For the same run, my TM will say 850 or more. MFP gives me a lower total than what I actually burn (since I do use incline while running on it) but it's close enough.