Beginning Weight Loss Journey: Confused and Afraid

Options
Hello Everyone,

My Name is Dejynae As I was growing up it was always hard to keep weight in me I went through my high school years just barely clinging on to 99lbs regardless of what I ate. now Fast-forward to 4 1/2 years later here I am after dealing with stress and Depression I've Gained 60lbs over the years and I've wanted badly to loose this weight... I've always said I'm going to diet and somehow every time I attempt to do it I end up saying "Ok, I'll Just Start tomorrow" then tomorrow comes and I'm like "What Diet ?" ... Or the "Diet" Only lasts for a day or so and I'm back to stress eating (binge-eating) .... I can't even tell you The amount of time where I've stated I've found some crazy new "Diet" and I'm going to start a Diet and it never happened and I'm starting to feel like nobody believe in me anymore which in return causes me to lose faith in myself (that's about the only thing I've lost so far).... I'm such a picky eater (Hates practically all veggies accept for lettuce spinach broccoli corn greens celery and Carrots) I don't know what I can do to start loosing weight and gain confidence in myself..... I Just want advice on Where I should start and how I can eat healthy even with being a picky eater and I can't get to the gym so what are some good exercises. I Feel like I will never achieve my goals of being smaller again...I would love all the help I can get and I appreciate it so much thank you..

Replies

• LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hello Dejynae
    Ive spent my life on a "diet"/ill start tomorrow/its the weekend ill start monday kinda thing.
    Ive never had depression so cant even begin to understand how u feel however i do understand about ur weight gain. It does make it harder.
    This the second time for me on mfp and when i first started all i found was i was always looking at calories in food/can i have this/can i have that. I lost over a stone came off mfp and put it all and extra back on
    This time round i decided the first week i would just log what i ate whatever it was. On the sunday i sat down and had a look back over the week of what i ate. The second week i decided i would change maybe a couple of things. The third week i changed another two more things. This is the 4th week and im not soing to bad. Ive lost 7lb just by changing a few things. I am a fussy eater too. Veg i eat peas carrots potatoes ans runner beans.
    I dont go to the gym im at work too much to do that but i make sure on my two days off a week i go for a walk. Even just for half hour.
    As i said im on week 4 i already feel better in myself
    And you will too. Add friends on here for help/support/ look at peoples diaries for food ideas. Post asking for recipies.
    I wish you all the luck
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    One of the keys to success is to stop thinking 'diet' and starting thinking 'way of life'. Great comments above about making small, but significant changes. The changes have to be sustainable for you to be successful.
    Baby steps... don't complicate things.... one day at a time and it's not a race.
    If you don't get it right one day, there's always tomorrow.
    Love yourself, be kind to yourself, you're doing this for you :-)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight management is about eating the right amount of calories for your size and activity level. If you want to lose you need a calorie deficit.
    Input your age, height, weight, activity level without exercise into MFP (go to goals). Choose a reasonable loss goal like 1 lb a week. MFP will tell you how many calories to eat.
    Log everything you consume as accurately as you can. A food scale can be helpful.
    You will find it easier to sustain if you learn the appropriate portion sizes of foods you like and making small changes rather than overhauling your entire diet.
    Protein, fats and fiber help people to feel more satisfied. Work on getting enough of those things in your diet.
    You don't have to be perfect every day to lose weight. If you go over your calorie goal one day just log and move on. Don't get dramatic about it.
    If you exercise, do log the exercise and eat some of those calories.

It takes time to lose weight sustainably. There really isn't a stopping point for weight management. Every day you will make choices. When you get to your weight goal you will have to eat less than you currently do, increase your activity level (or both) or you will not stay there.

Work on managing stress without turning to food. Try talking to someone, meditating, art, writing, exercise, cleaning, music...just something else.

Do some reading around the forum. Whatever you are scared about someone else has already been through I'm sure.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10359984/women-menstrual-cycle-weight-and-fitness-matters/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10349147/so-you-just-woke-up-one-day-and/p1
  • robw68
    robw68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MFP makes getting started so easy. I have been here off and on for a couple of years and everytime I lose weight. Tracking what you eat is key and MFP makes it a snap. Welcome and good luck. You can do it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hi Dejynae - I used to be an emotional eater but now I manage stress with exercise. I do have a gym membership for lifting weights but get most of my exercise out of the gym - walking, gardening, yoga, etc.

Sounds like you might have an all-or-nothing approach to weight loss so I suggest you ease into it - just set your weekly weight loss goal for a pound a week.
  • katrina6823
    katrina6823 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :) I'm more then happy to give you advice and support along the way