I have Hypothyroidism, I started taking Levothyroxine....

Options
I was just wondering if anyone else takes this medicine i just started it today and kinda nervous about it and did it help anybody?

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Help in what way? It normalizes your thyroid hormone levels.
  • jEsSiE2350
    jEsSiE2350 Posts: 24 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Dose it help for weight loss
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking - it should help everybody who takes it, that's the point of it... Why are you nervous? There are no side effects (that I know of).
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    No, it does not help with weight loss. The purpose of the blood test to determine your level needed to even out your hormone levels is to ensure your body is receiving sufficient amounts of the hormone, not more than what is needed. It took a year for me to finally get to the correct dosage so as tbethann22 notes, it may take multiple blood tests to get to what is your final dosage.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It could raise your calorie expenditure a little bit. It won't be a lot. You may experience more energy which may help with calorie expenditures too. Its a slow working drug though, and doctors don't often start you at your optimal dosage and then you need to wait a good 6 weeks between tests. Unfortunately it could take a few months to get it to the right spot. If your free T3 and free T4 were quite low, and your TSH was quite high, you may be able to jump up to a higher dose a bit faster and skip some of the baby step dose inceases that some doctors do.

If after you get your dose right (normal body temp, Free T4 and free T3 in the 50-75% range of the lab's normal range, TSH near a 1) and you still feel no improvements, then you might consider adding a T3 supplement or using natural desiccated thyroid. I tried synthroid for over 9 months and had to leave my doctor in order to get some T3. It was a huge improvement for me that I never felt on T4 alone.

Good luck.

• Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Im on it. Some people start to lose weight immediately on it as their thyroid levels level out. Some see no change (maybe because it was caught early and they hadnt put on much weight yet?) and some see major weight GAIN. Thankfully those who gain weight arent as common as those who lose or stay the same. Its generally because they are on the wrong meds.

It will HELP you to lose weight though (as long as you are the one with the bad reaction of gaining weight.) You go from exercising and dieting and struggling to lose, to your metabolism acting like its suppose to. Its not a miracle drug. You still need to exercise and lower calorie intake like a normal healthy person..

Im on it. I had this bottle in my cabinet for over a year refusing to take it.. and when I started to watch what I eat and exercise, I instead started to gain. I finally gave up 6 days ago and broke out the danm pills. Im finalllllyyy losing. But Im losing as I would have normally if I had no problems what so ever. I should have taken these sooner!! Mines at the lowest dose as I never went back to the doctor after that. (I really do have a phobia of pills and bad news.) After this bottle is finished, Im going to the doctor for more blood work (thats where my phobia starts! NEEDLES!) and continuing with the medication.

Take your meds. See your doctor. Once he or she gets the dosage right for you, you SHOULD see more improvement in your health.

One side effect I have found from it, and that I TOTES LOVE!!! Im not as hungry. In fact, some days, I struggle to eat 1200 calories and Im on a 1760 calorie diet. When I wasnt taking the meds, I was starved and kept over eating (hypothyroidism does that..) On the pills, I struggle to eat. I feel a little nauseous.. But im ok with that.. cause for once I have control (mostly) of my appetite.

• NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Yep. Keep taking it and get your levels checked.

Somehow as I got overall healthier my thyroid straightened itself out and I was able to discontinue the medication and stay within normalized ranges.

The hypothalamus releases TRH (thyrotropin releasing hormone) that tells the pituitary gland to make TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). TSH tells the thyroid to make T3 and T4 that (insert various processes to bind, unbind, and transform here) then get released to circulate and increase the metabolism of cells. Levothyroxine is a synthetic T4 and lasts longer than T3, which is why you don't have to take it as often (usually once a day).

All that ^ to say if you're getting your levels checked, you should be getting your TSH, T3, and T4 checked because the levels being low/high in various combos allow your provider to pinpoint where the problem is.

Something also to ask your doc about is whether they prescribe to therapeutic number range only or also combined with how you feel. There's some evidence to support that therapeutic number ranges do not always equate with feeling and functioning better.
  • Pialove16
    Pialove16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Been on about 6 years. My tsh was only mildly abnl and hesitant to take. Over time I did feel better, cognitive andpenergy level. I would love to report it helped with weight loss but did not. But essential for brain function and healthy metabolism!
  • sschrock
    sschrock Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I too was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in early November. I started on name brand Synthroid on Thanksgiving Day 2016. I do not feel it helped jump start any new weight loss. I have been exercising and watching what I eat for the past year anyways. Slow and steady is winning my weight loss war! My hair had been falling out and I was cold ALL THE TIME!! I'm still cold, but my hair has stopped thinning so quickly, so I'm very happy about that. I am 48 and thought I was going into peri-menopause, but now I've realized it was probably my thyroid being out of whack. My TSH was 4.5 and my MD started me on only 50 mg of the Synthroid. I went back to him 2 weeks ago after taking it daily for 7 weeks, and my TSH was down to 0.7!! He and I were both very please with this. Good luck to you, and my best advice is to be compliant with your dosing and take it every morning! :)
  • SparklyBubblyBabe
    SparklyBubblyBabe Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I had gained a bit of water weight because of my thyroid and as soon as I started taking the meds I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I didn't look much different, still wore the same pant/dress size, but I was less bloated. Can't say I felt a big difference in energy because I'm bad at getting enough sleep. My skin and my hair are still dry as all hell though.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for about 15 years. There's nothing to be scared of. It has been around for a very long time and has minimal side effects.

Before I started the meds, I could not seem to lose weight, despite a good diet and exercise. After I had been on it a while, I did lose weight normally. That may have been psychological, but I think the medication did make a difference.

As others have said, it may take a few months to get the dosage right. My doctor started me on a minimal dose and increased it over time. You still need to pay attention to what you eat. CICO still applies. But having those hormones in balance does make a difference.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for over 20 years. Don't think of it as a "drug" or "medicine." It is hormone replacement. It is something your body naturally produces (or rather, it doesn't) and you are just putting back something that should be there. So don't be scared. I understand feeling nervous. I have so many side effects from medications that I get feeling that way.

If you are SEVERELY hypothyroid, the medication might make you lose some weight. For instance, when I was severely hypothyroid (I'm talking about a TSH of 145), then I did gain about 10 lbs. When I started taking the thyroid replacement, I did lose that weight. But if my TSH is fairly well regulated and I just gain weight because I'm eating too much, then no, it won't help.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    OpalMagnus wrote: »
    I had gained a bit of water weight because of my thyroid and as soon as I started taking the meds I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I didn't look much different, still wore the same pant/dress size, but I was less bloated. Can't say I felt a big difference in energy because I'm bad at getting enough sleep. My skin and my hair are still dry as all hell though.

disordered sleep can be a sign of thyroid levels still being off - in addition to your comment about skin and hair - you may need to get your dosage adjusted (mine took close to a year the first time to adjust and we recently adjusted it again)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    jEsSiE2350 wrote: »

Dose it help for weight loss

No. Levothyroxine is not a weight loss drug. Weight loss is the result of a caloric deficit.

Levothyroxine is a hormone supplement that aids in regulating molecular metabolism. What it will do is help in balancing out your hormones.

Everyone reacts to pharmaceuticals a bit differently, but you should feel the effects in a week or so, and the full effects after 4-6 weeks. Keep up with your endocrinologist and ensure you get a full thyroid panel and that your TSH is in the new range of 0.2-2.0.

Success in this lies in building a routine. Pick a time in the early morning or late at night, preferably on an empty stomach. Ensure you are well hydrated. Other than that there isn't much to this. I've been on Synthroid since 2000 - 175/200 mcg alternating daily and feeling fine.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have been on thyroid meds for almost 28 years. I have lost weight on it and I have gained weight on it. Its all about calories, not medication that you need to be healthy. The thing about these meds is sometimes it takes awhile to get the right dosage. You may feel jittery, or lethargic, in which case your levels need to be checked and if necessary, adjusted. Good luck!