Gain a lb a day

Options
Will eating 4,000 calories a day gain me a lb a day?

Replies

• sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    No. You burn 2500 a day or so just living. You might gain 2 pounds a week doing that.
  • RoyalFitnessFreak31
    Options
    Whàt do you mean?
  • RoyalFitnessFreak31
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    No. You burn 2500 a day or so just living. You might gain 2 pounds a week doing that.

So how many you think I need to eat?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    About 3500 more than your TDEE. Have fun eating, but expect to gain a lot of fat quickly.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    How can you say this without any knowledge of the OP's current weight or height?

robertw486 wrote: »
    About 3500 more than your TDEE. Have fun eating, but expect to gain a lot of fat quickly.
    ^This. OP, use an online TDEE calculator and then aim to eat 3500 more calories per day than your TDEE. Although I do have to question why you're interested in gaining 1 lb per day...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

... thats a very generic number... where on earth did you get 2500 a day as a caloric burn?

Apparently the average healthy sedentary american male burns between 2000 and 2600 a day.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

... thats a very generic number... where on earth did you get 2500 a day as a caloric burn?

Apparently the average healthy sedentary american male burns between 2000 and 2600 a day.

:D Jeepers.. at that rate, i guess obesity is just a problem for women since men have those awesome calorie burns lol

Right?? and that's sedentary!
  • RoyalFitnessFreak31
    Options

I guess that's why it's so hard for me to gain weight. I started on 1/6 at 172 and I'm at 184.8 now
  • robertw486
    Options
    It sounds like a "fit to fat to fit" experiment or something. What is your goal?
  • RoyalFitnessFreak31
    Options
    It sounds like a "fit to fat to fit" experiment or something. What is your goal?

My goal weight is 195.. I don't want to be fat and it will be tough for to get fat... I'm very active and workout everyday. Just want to gain
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

My goal weight is 195.. I don't want to be fat and it will be tough for to get fat... I'm very active and workout everyday. Just want to gain

If you're putting on weight quickly, it's not going to be muscle. You will put on a little muscle, but it'll be mostly fat regardless of how active you are.

What does your "working out" consist of? If there's lots of cardio, perhaps consider reducing that?
  • RoyalFitnessFreak31
    Options

If you're putting on weight quickly, it's not going to be muscle. You will put on a little muscle, but it'll be mostly fat regardless of how active you are.

What does your "working out" consist of? If there's lots of cardio, perhaps consider reducing that?

I don't do cardio..
  • robertw486
    Options
    The upper limits of muscle gain are about a pound a week without drugs. If you gain that quick, the majority will be fat.
  • RoyalFitnessFreak31
    Options
    The upper limits of muscle gain are about a pound a week without drugs. If you gain that quick, the majority will be fat.

That's fine.. as long as I'm gaining.. muscle gain will come as long as I lift
  • rdouma73
    rdouma73 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    A pound a day is a tall order.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

:D Jeepers.. at that rate, i guess obesity is just a problem for women since men have those awesome calorie burns lol

I wish that were true for all American men! My RMR is somewhere around 1,600. I plan to get an RMR test done soon to get a more accurate amount, but online calculators and results show probably is closer to 1,500 than 1,600 - online calculators come up with about 1,630.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

That's fine.. as long as I'm gaining.. muscle gain will come as long as I lift

You say you don't want to be fat, but then also are trying to gain at least 6 lbs. per week of fat - assuming 7 lb. /week gain less 1 lb. per week of muscle gain even at the high end. These two things contradict each other.