Airbnb, yes or no?

Options
Miz_T
Miz_T Posts: 150 Member
I have a competition coming up and don't really want to stay in any of the local hotels because the ratings aren't that good. I'm considering Airbnb but don't know a soul who has used them.

Replies

• Miz_T
    Options
    Thank you for your input.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    AirBnB can be a good deal - but like everything there are people who try to take advantage (i.e. finding out there is an event in the area and cancelling reservations and then relisting for a higher amount). I try to find ones that have several reviews
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've had fantastic stays at many vacation rentals including Airbnb. HomeAway, VRBO, TripAdvisor, etc...all are good.
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    100% yes. I have used airbnb before and loved it. The one I actually use more often is vrbo.com. I never stay in hotels anymore because I like renting a condo or apartment so much more!
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I often wonder how many of these places have cameras all throughout the house that can't see.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I've heard only good things from people who have used it
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Here's a coupon.

www.airbnb.com/c/lisam5444
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Never used it but have heard good things.
  • danielisbatman
    danielisbatman Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have used it around 5 times and always good value. Only use places with plenty of ratings
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    We used VRBO.com to book a cottage on our trip to Acadia last fall. It was perfect.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I've had fantastic stays at many vacation rentals including Airbnb. HomeAway, VRBO, TripAdvisor, etc...all are good.

I used Air B&B twice last year, both with great results. Sometimes you're sharing space with the owner, sometimes you have the place to yourself. The listing will indicate the arrangement. Every listing is different, as they're all different owners. The only commonality is the website used, and the rules the website set. Read the reviews.

I've also had very good results with holidays booked via HomeAway, VRBO and TripAdvisor as well.
  • JLAJ81
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Used it last year to run a race in Chicago. Got to stay in a super nice condo for much cheaper than a hotel.
    and @jjewell1981 I did a little dance in every room to keep the owners entertained

Your turn to provide proof.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I would not stay in one by myself.

Read the reviews & the property description carefully. Use another search feature like Google earth to view the property in advance. Have a "discussion" with the owner before you commit. After "talking" to some of the owners I knew their properties would not work for me. Know the cancellation policy before you commit.

We have done this 3x in So Cal. It was all OK. One ended up being an apartment that the complex couldn't rent because it had no view. It was fine for the two nights we were there there because it was about 1/3 the cost of a hotel & we were only there to shower & change. One had a private pool. That was awesome but we were never able to get the TV to work. We really liked the owners' pets. She couldn't believe I got them to let me pet all of them, even the cats. One offered us beach chairs which was great.
  • Miz_T
    Options
    Wow, that's a whole lot to consider. Thanks! B)
  • JLAJ81
    Options
    I often wonder how many of these places have cameras all throughout the house that can't see.

I hope they do! They're in for a show.

This show involves what exactly? Inquiring minds need to know.
  • buzylizy88
    buzylizy88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've used numerous AirBnbs domestically and internationally and LOVE them! They are always cheaper and often times offer more space, amenities and security than traditional hotels. I prefer to rent the entire home to myself for added security/peace of mind.

Read the reviews and always make smart decisions. You will enjoy the options and value for your money tremendously.