Recent miscarriage, trying to get healthy to try again

Hi,
I'm looking for motivation. I was pregnant in the end of October miscarried at 5 weeks had a d&c over Christmas vacation. I've just been eating whatever I want. I've been drinking a lot of soda, drinking alcohol occasionally, and eating a lot of candy or sugary snacks. I realized my emotional eating is out of control. I gain 5 lbs last time I checked but I gained maybe 5 lbs at the beginning of my pregnancy probably. I have been using my indoor bicycle. I've kept some of the weight gain under control. I want to try and get pregnant again in maybe April when I'm more emotionally healed. I'd like to lose some weight to be healthier for the next try. I am currently 182 lbs. I am 5"6. Ideally in the future I'd like to be down to 155 but realistically I'd be happy with at least 10 pounds. I'm looking at being healthy the actual numbers don't matter as much. It's been a tough 5 weeks. It would be great to get some support and motivation especially from people that have been through a miscarriage or are emotional eaters.

Replies

• ProMama5
    ProMama5 Posts: 55 Member
    I've been there and it's one of the hardest things I've ever gone through. I've had three miscarriages between 5 and 10 weeks. There is very much a hormonal component to the emotional devastation and depression. After my first miscarriage I went through what felt exactly like the postpartum depression I had after birthing my first child. A lot happens to your body in those five weeks. The next two miscarriages were very depressing as well and put a huge dent in my marriage. My story has a happy ending though as I was able to carry to term two more children and later added two stepdaughters.

I say go easy on yourself. If you decide you want to lose weight right now set attainable goals. Set yourself up for success. Focus on doing things that will not only make you physically healthier but emotionally healthy as well. I'm sending you big hugs and I'm so sorry you've had to go through this.
  • freedom2016mfp
    freedom2016mfp Posts: 75 Member
    There are no words to understand such difficult events in life. That said I hope that sharing helps you heal your heart, mind and soul. Stay strong, stay positive and the rest will follow.
    Sending hugs and a heartfelt prayer for your healing :)
  • lindadprice
    lindadprice Posts: 150 Member
    Thanks for listening. It helps to get it out. Promama5 that is good advice. I only set up to lose very little a week. Doing the exercise helps me have a better mind set and it's helping me from gaining to much weight. I was happy to have a great husband that is there to listen about any detail. He's a very strong individual. He knows that there was no one to blame. He also always has the right things to say. I think if I had a different partner it would have been a lot more difficult. I just don't want to start gaining a ton of weight and raising my blood pressure or anything like that to make it easier for our next time around. It's hard to keep busy when I planning to try again in April. I'm sure you know how that feels. It's nice to hear from people who have gone through it and understand the emotional pain. My father in law on the other hand asked if my mother had any miscarriages like I was to blame. But the fact is 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage. I was tested for progesterone etc. There was nothing that we could have done everything was normal. I'm thinking about getting a tattoo of a lotus in rememberance. I want to plant flowers on the babies due date. I've been going to yoga again and using the excercise bike so that helps a little. It takes time.
  • lizetrombley
    lizetrombley Posts: 28 Member
    So sorry for your loss. I had 8 misscariages in a year so I do understand what you are going through ... we actually decided to stop trying. I started focusing on my health, dropped 20 pounds, got pregnant and now have a healthy 2.5 year old...
    It is different for everyone, and I wasn't told to loose weight, but I was overweight and I my case loosing the weight had a positive outcome for me!
    Good luck to you and don't give up! It's hard but so worth it in the end!
  • audraV1989
    audraV1989 Posts: 12 Member
    I am sorry for your loss. I had a miscarriage 19 years ago. I understand.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    I'm sorry for what you are going through. I had two miscarriages between the births of my son and daughter and it was horrible. It does not stay horrible though, so hang in there. As someone else said, go easy on yourself. If eating for comfort right now is what you need, then it's what you need. That is my opinion which I am sure some will disagree with. The emotions you are feeling are so valid and understandable given what you have gone through. If exercise makes you feel better, do that. I bought a necklace from www.myforeverchild.com, not sure if it still exists, and wore it for some time. I just came across it yesterday after not seeing it for over 7 years. Wearing it made me feel better. Miscarriage is one of those things that can never be fully understood without going through it yourself. You are not alone, and I am glad you have a supportive husband.
  • lindadprice
    Thanks for everyone's encouraging words. It really helps to know I'm not alone. I bought a fertility bracelet to feel try and feel more positive but I didn't want anyone to ask me about the miscarriage. I told a few people that knew I was pregnant and a few family members,but I was trying to avoid having to talk to many people about it. It was hard because I took off about a week off from work. Everyone thought I was sick. They kept bringing up because I missed the Christmas party because it was the day of my surgery. I didn't say much to them about being sick tried to deflect. I flat out ignored the business manager about it. Certain people I work with tell everyone your personal business. I told my boss and my boss from my other job and they were both supportive. I think it's hard because people don't know what to say. Sometimes people being to positive like you'll get pregnant again is bothers me because it feels like there dismissing my loss. I still feel depressed sometimes it just hits me for no reason. It might be hormones.
  • clyn90
    clyn90 Posts: 45 Member
    I am so sorry for your loss. I was right where you are in 2015. Pregnant in October, D&C mid December and eating my emotions along with the hormonal crash caused me to balloon up. I have to say that jumping into fitness and focusing on getting my body ready to try again really helped get my mind off of the loss and focus on the future. I got pregnant again in may and my sweet little rainbow baby is about to be one. I was so glad I got my weight under control before becoming pregnant again. I ended up on bed rest and gained more than I wanted but it wasn't too bad because I had lost all the weight before hand. The better shape your in when you start the pregnancy the easier it will be to get back in shape after too!!!!!! Good luck on your journey and be kind to yourself
  • lindadprice
    I agree Clyn it will probably help me mentally and to be in better shape for the next try. I was kind of worried cause my friend had an emergency c section with her baby because she had preclampsia a week an half before her delievery. She was on here calorie counting the whole time and it still happened. I figured it would help me if I try. I don't think I would be ready to join the challenges like I used to. Yoga and riding my bike is easy enough. Counting calories is habit I need to get back into anyways. Thanks for your story.
  • lmeconi72
    lmeconi72 Posts: 2 Member
    Glad I found this thread... thanks for sharing. I had a missed miscarriage a few weeks ago. I thought I was 12 weeks along but found out that wasn't the case. I had my D&C mid-January. In the end, I ended up putting on 5 pounds with the pregnancy and another 3 or so from eating my feelings... in the form of Ben and Jerry's. I had lost 50 pounds originally with MFP and so I came back to lose these ten. I honestly didn't think I had been eating that badly... I am honestly a little shocked that I've maintained weight for six years and all of the sudden it just keeps piling on. It helps to hear that others are going through something similar.