Tips for C25K

Options
So, I'm just starting week 3 and I can't seem to run the 3 minutes. I really want to! I got up to 2.5 minutes and I just don't feel satisfied with that. It just feels like my legs are going to give out.

Any tips for getting through this?

I'm sure it gets easier at some point, just frustrating not being able to do it.

Replies

• Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Just slowly keep working towards it, do repeats if you have to. I'm only on day 3, and the last time I ran, I kinda went into dreamland while running and ended up running 7, almost 8 minutes straight! No joke. My trick is to trick yourself into thinking you're not running, if it makes sense. I drift off (obviously.. haha), stare at random things and/or listen to my music on full blast.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Listen to music during your run. It really helps take your mind off of the struggle. What also worked for me was slowing my pace. I focused on running for the time specified and not the distance. I had to repeat a few days here and there but I graduated and am now beginning the Bridge to 10K. You can do this !!!!
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I struggled with week 3 forever. Might I ask what you're using for music. I used RObert's podcasts and his music just didnt cut it for me. I was given a link for a different podcast and that was the trick for me.

ALso I 've read to start counting backwards from 100. ALso if you can not look at the time it helps.

I just did week 9 today for the first time. WOOHOO 30 mn run.
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    make sure yr using proper form. im about to start week 5 and ive never jogged before this.. i had the same problem in the beginning then i researched proper running technique on youtube and it instantly solved my problem.
  • bethany675
    bethany675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running to music? When I first started I ran or walked to songs - they are usually 3 min in length. Black Eyed Peas got me through.....finally made a mix of upbeat songs and got my time down.
  • MintyCandy
    MintyCandy Posts: 44
    Options
    make sure yr using proper form. im about to start week 5 and ive never jogged before this.. i had the same problem in the beginning then i researched proper running technique on youtube and it instantly solved my problem.

I didn't even think to look into that. I'm going to look that up tonight!

Thanks for all the input. I usually just watch the tv's that are at the gym, apparently that's not doing the trick. Haha.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I got through it by doing it with a friend. I thought the first time I ran 3 min would kill me, but I got through it :)
  • fpueblo
    fpueblo Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I did week 2 an extra 2 days. I did week 3 for the first time on Saturday which means I have to do it again today. it threw me off at first that it went between 90 seconds and 3 mins for the runs but I was able to push out the last 10 seconds when I ran out of breath I started running in place. Music really does help especially fast paced music you like...

wow I just had to edit I somehow put 30 min instead of 3
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm on W5D2 and I'm going for pace. I try to find a nice pace where I can still breathe easily, talk back to my daughter in the stroller at times and continue running. I found that staying between 145-152 bpm (I use a heart rate monitor) is the best for me, and I'm not running/jogging that fast at all! But I was able to run for 20 minutes straight which is a big feat for me!

I suggest finding a good pace that you can easily maintain.
  • MintyCandy
    Options
    Yeah I guess I'll have to swallow my pride and will likely have to do either extra days or the week over again.
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Listen to music during your run. It really helps take your mind off of the struggle. What also worked for me was slowing my pace. I focused on running for the time specified and not the distance. I had to repeat a few days here and there but I graduated and am now beginning the Bridge to 10K. You can do this !!!!

I did the C25K program last year to get back into running, and then went on to the B210K plan, building up slowly and increasing my time/distance each week. Next month I will be running my 4th half marathon of the year, so you can do it. Just take it slow...as others have said, if you need to repeat a week, do it, adjust your pace so that you can complete the alotted time, etc. Go at your own pace and just get stronger with each run. If I can do it, anyone can!! I never thought I would start running half marathons at 43 years old!!
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    Keep repeating a week until you really have it down. There is no point in advancing until you conquer the week you are on. I did some "weeks" three times until I was ready to move on.
    Listen to upbeat fun music that you know the words to.
    Set yourself a goal such as the mailbox at the end of the street and refuse to stop until you get to it.
    Ask yourself if you are truly about to die, chances are good the answer is no, so keep going.
    Running is more mental than anything else, you have to train your brain.
    Watch your internal language. Do not groan or roll your eyes when you hear the chime to run. Make yourself say Woohoo! even if you don't feel it.
    Enjoy your strong, healthy, working legs. Appreciate them, feel the strength in them. Notice how they are moving.
    When all else fails, run at a slight downhill. ;-)
    Most of all, keep going. If I could do it, ANYONE can.
  • MeganSWoods
    MeganSWoods Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Those are the exact things I was going to say-- I actually found music that was comfortable for me to run based on the beats per minute. It helps me keep my pace steady (even if it is slow right now). Also, running on a track or somewhere other than a treadmill helped me because then I was focused on my pace and my form as opposed to my speed (or lack-thereof). I'm finishing Week 9 this week! I made it by pushing myself even when I thought I couldn't do it-- you can too!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Yeah I guess I'll have to swallow my pride and will likely have to do either extra days or the week over again.

In the big picture - it's no big deal to repeat a week over or to slow it down a bit ...!!! No one here will judge you for that -
    though I can't promise that YOU aren't judging yourself :laugh: !!!

- - - - -

ETA: had not intended to sound like a jerk - but I just meant that I know you can and will be able to do it - but if you need to slow down or repeat another week - there is no shame in that. :flowerforyou:
  • ems152
    ems152 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself if you are truly about to die, chances are good the answer is no, so keep going.
    Watch your internal language. Do not groan or roll your eyes when you hear the chime to run. Make yourself say Woohoo! even if you don't feel it.
    Enjoy your strong, healthy, working legs. Appreciate them, feel the strength in them. Notice how they are moving.

This is so true. Whenever I was struggling I asked myself what is actually stopping me? Im still breathing and my legs are still going. It's totally a mental game. Just push yourself through it but dont push too hard too soon. Just follow the programme and repeat weeks where necessary. I also find it useful to concentrate on my breathing and take long, controlled breathes rather than short ones.
  • MintyCandy
    Options

In the big picture - it's no big deal to repeat a week over or to slow it down a bit ...!!! No one here will judge you for that -
    though I can't promise that YOU aren't judging yourself :laugh: !!!

- - - - -

ETA: had not intended to sound like a jerk - but I just meant that I know you can and will be able to do it - but if you need to slow down or repeat another week - there is no shame in that. :flowerforyou:

Haha, thanks. I'm definitely judging myself.

I REALLY do apperciate all the feedback. Seems like it's general consensus that music really helps. :)
  • MintyCandy
    Options

That is AWESOME advice.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    1) Do not let your weight keep you from running! I'm a big boy -- 260 lbs, and I finished my first 5K race (39:39) a week ago, and am running my 2nd in a week (aiming for 36 min). C25K has been wonderful. It allows you to ease into running, and you can always do it at your own pace.

2) Schedule a race right now. Find one that's 9 weeks out. Even if you aren't done with the program by then, run/walk it anyway. My first race was so much fun. Running with other people was a great motivator.

3) Do not run on consecutive days. As good as you might feel, as confident as you may become, let your legs rest. Not resting can lead to fatigue, injury and decreased performance. Trust me.

4) Take it at your own pace. Don't worry about speed -- just build up your endurance. Speed will come later. If you aren't ready for the next week's run, repeat the current week. No big deal. At the same time, though...

5) Don't psyche yourself out when the big runs come. You can do it! I stopped looking at the schedule and just downloaded the podcasts. I wouldn't know what was coming each day until I turned it on and the gal told me. Loved it that way.

6) I loved the NHS Choices podcasts (http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx) on my mp3 player. The gal has a great British accent -- and that would be sufficient for me to enjoy listening -- but she also provides tips and encouragement, along with the walk/run cues.

7) Run outside. Even in the rain. It's so much better than running on a treadmill. Enjoy the sounds and sights.

I never would have considered myself a runner, but I do now (slow as I may be). It's been fantastic, and a huge confidence boost.
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    bump! I'm on week two!
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I will second trying to get outside. Every step of the program goes by so much more quickly when you aren't staring at the same people in the gym. Believe me, I just finished Week 7 and did 31 laps around my gym track today. BORING.

Slowing down will help a ton in the beginning. It's not a race yet so don't worry about your pace.

And believe that you can do it! I have to constantly reaffirm myself while running. With every lap I usually have to push myself to finish the next. Either its "You gave birth to two children, this is cake!" or " You already ran XX minutes, these last few are a cake walk." Heck sometimes I have to look down at my legs and go "Man, your muscles look HOT!" The only way to push through that wall is to believe that you can.

Oh and as for music, if you have a smartphone and can download the Pandora app, try Black Eyed Peas radio. It's awesome.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!