Frozen Vegetables

Options
What are your thoughts on frozen veggies? I especially like birdfresh varieties. I would prefer fresh veggies but these are just easier and usually less expensive, plus its easier to find what I want. I know canned are a no-no because of the sodium, but is there any reason I should only choose fresh?

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    I heard frozen are better for you.I use the frozen when I can`t find fresh.
    jane
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Fresh LOCAL produce is best because it is the freshest, not forced to ripen with zillion chemicals and then trucked across the country in fuel guzzling trucks. They tend to be left on the vine/tree/bush longer to actually ripen there. Support the local farmer :D

But after fresh local produce, always pick frozen over canned because the cans may contain BPA which leaches into the veggies (plush it's chocked full of sodium). It doesn't matter whether the veggies in the cans are organic or not because it's the can that's the issue. There is no BPA in plastic freezer bags.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    As soon as vegetables are harvested, they begin to 'leak' nutrients. When frozen, this stops this happening. Many companies freeze their veg fairly quickly after harvesting them so they contain more nutrients than fresh veg that may be lying around for quite some time before you cook and eat them (being transported from farm, lying in the store and then however long you have them at home before eating them)
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Some say frozen are actually preserved better than most fresh in stores, since it sat in trucks and on shelves so long. I love the convenience and prices of frozen. Just heat em up.
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    I love Green Giants single-serve packs. They're super convenient for me because I'm single and in college...lol
  • ambergirl327
    Options
    I use frozen vegetables all the time. They are quick, easy, and convenient! I keep plenty on hand to make home-made soups and use for sides to meals. I even freeze fresh veggies that I find on sale to keep "fresh" them all year!
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!