constipated

Options
This is really uncomfortable to talk about buut, I am not regular in the bathroom and I am to lazy to do stuff like miralax and stuff but I am going to start..Does constipation have a lot to do with your weight? Has anyone lost weight using miralax? (because they are really constipated)

Replies

• 125spring
    125spring Posts: 10
    Options
    I don't know if there's a correlation b/w constipation and weight, but there definitely is between it and diet. If you've increased your protein amount a bit, that could cause it. Make sure you're getting around 25 grams of fiber. You could try that w/ increasing whole grains, fruits and veggies first before you go the laxative route. Of course, if it persists, I'd at least put in a call to your Dr. It could be something like IBS, but so many things can cause it...again, change in diet, extra stress, etc.
  • mom2sbbj
    mom2sbbj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Up your fiber intake and that should do the trick. ;) I don't know that constipation has a lot to do with your weight, but eating a high fiber diet will keep you regular AND help you with losing weight.
  • Meglm1117
    Meglm1117 Posts: 70
    Options
    Well I like natural remedies. I have had constipation problems ever since I had my daughter. High fiber foods, LOTS of water, and if you still need a little bit of extra help, go to a natural food store and buy "senna leaf". That will definitely solve your problem and it is a natural herb. Only use that after you have tried lots of water and high fiber foods.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    to solve the issue you likely need more fibre and lots more water.
    water is something alot of folks overlook for this issue.... but i know for sure if i am getting less than 12 glasses a day, 'things' stop moving *L*
    to determine how much water you need it's basically 1/2 your current body weight... ie: if you weigh 200 pounds you need 100 ounces of water a day.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    water! lots of water!! apple juice mixed in....
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I find that water also helps keep me regular... and that the more I go, the less I weigh.. and that after a good bowl movement I can weigh up to a pound less(gross I know, but true).

Also fiber as everyone else has said.. that will also help.
  • red_hatorade
    red_hatorade Posts: 166
    Options
    Try going to Walmart and getting their fiber capsules. Take them daily with your other vitamins and/or medications. It works great and no gross fiber drinks to choke down.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You can change your food diary settings so you can view your fiber in take. I also changed mine to show 25g a day, which is the reccomended amount for women. Then I try to get as much in as possible from veggies and fruit. I also eat fiber one ceral, fiber one bars, and drink benefiber (as needed).
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    What goes in must come out, and if its not coming out, then you are storing the "crap" somewhere. I have bowel issues and my doctor has me take Miralax twice a day and lots and lots of water!! When I am being stubborn and don't feel like taking it, I feel really bloated and heavy!! I tried to up my fiber and it didn't work for me, but you should try that first, then consider talking to your doctor. Becoming regular has (I think) helped with my weight loss. Good luck!!
  • brianna_bananas
    Options
    you probably dont need miralax.. you probably are just eating really bad food and not eough good food, have some greens, corn maybe, fruit and whole grain stuff
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Along with increasing water and fiber, try taking a fish oil capsule every day, or at least adding a little extra olive oil to help lubricate the system. When humans in general start focusing on reducing our weight, we start to reduce the good fats in our diet. They are needed for digestion and waste expulsion.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Make sure if you do increase your fiber intake that you also increase your water intake. I was consuming almost double my daily recommended of fiber and had no idea until I started MFP and wondered why I was so bound up. I still consume the same amount of fiber, I just drink A LOT more water and do not have any more issues.
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    Definitely the fiber thing and lots of liquids, no caffeine tho cuz it dries you up. I find that eating yogurt and drinking Plumsmart juice helps me feel so normal in the bathroom department. And unlike prune juice, Plumsmart doesn't give you...you know...emergency bathroom visits.

Constipation may or may not affect your weight but it will make you look a bit chubbier in the belly.