Food intake while breastfeeding

Options
Hi! I have a 9 day old who I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I know breastfeeding burns a lot of energy, but I don't know what to say as my intake goal. I have 15kg to lose to get back to my pre pregnancy weight of 69kg (lost 8kg in baby and fluids in the first week). Any pointers? :-)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Most women start by adding 500 calories to the goal provided by MFP. To do that, go into your food diary and search "breastfeeding". You will get several results with -500 for the calorie number. Choose one and it will add 500 to your goal.

Another alternative would be to tell MFP that you want to maintain your weight. Then you would not add the negative entry for breastfeeding and instead the calories burned from it would create the energy deficit you need in order to lose weight.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    When I was breastfeeding I ate at least 2,000 calories a day. I didn't eat my exercise calories back either. BUT my son was about 9 months when I started, maybe 11 months...

There's also breastfeeding calories for logging. You can use what MFP comes up with and add in breastfeeding calories like you would food. I even have a breastfeeding section for my meals (my son weaned last spring but I forgot to remove it). Good luck!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Please don't start restricting calories now. Your milk supply is not well established until at least 6 weeks. Dropping your calories can affect your supply and baby's growth. Eat and drink to hunger/thirst, try for lots of fruits/veg/protein, log if you like to get an idea of your intake, but don't restrict. Generally you will lose a bunch just nursing the first month or two as your body gets rid of extra fluids, gets blood volume back to normal, etc.
  • gradchica27
    Options
    Good general advice here that I've used after every pregnancy (4).
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/
  • shans91
    shans91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Please don't start restricting calories now. Your milk supply is not well established until at least 6 weeks.

At the moment I want to make sure I'm getting enough so that my milk supply is well established. Some days I haven't been particularly hungry and have had to consciously eat more to get up to 2000ish calories

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    The general rule of thumb I have read is not to drop below 1800.
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm having 2000-2100, bit more on days I work out a lot. I'm otherwise sedentary, my baby is now 6 months and having little bits of solids here and there. Losing about 1kg a week. I'm 34 and 86kg.

She still nurses 3-4 times a night and about 8 times a day(!!), there has been no negative changes that I can see, and my supply is fabulous, but I'd be a bit cautious at your stage.
  • rnedwbt
    rnedwbt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere to add 20 calories per oz. My son ate 4 oz, eight times per day (approx). 32x20 = 640. So that's what I add daily for my daughter (she's 13 weeks). I've been doing this approach since Christmas and have lost 16 pounds.

It gives me a ton of calories (2,110 currently) which is great because breastfeeding makes me soooo hungry!
  • gradchica27
    Options
    Okay, just checking, OP! When someone posts hey have X lbs to lose and want to know how many calls to add for bfing, I automatically think she's dieting. Glad to hear you're taking it slow.