DEPO CONTRACEPTIVE INJECTION/SHOT

Options
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT EVERYONE READS THROUGH SOME OF THESE COMMENTS FROM PATIENTS USING THIS INJECTION.

I HAVE IT MYSELF AND AFTER READING THESE I WILL NEVER EVER BE GETTING IT AGAIN.

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=12541&name=DEPO-PROVERA&page=2&PerPage=60

I HOPE I GET THROUGH TO SOMEONE AND HELP THEM :):heart:

Replies

• rubyredlips
    Options
    Its totally shocking ,you will be back to your normal self soon :smile: :heart: :heart:
  • beckbop
    beckbop Posts: 75
    Options
    Its totally shocking ,you will be back to your normal self soon :smile: :heart: :heart:

thanks mammmy:)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've been having the depo injection for over 2 years now.. no problems here :)
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I was on it about 13 years ago, for about a year. The first 6 months no problems, then the weight gain started, and sore breasts, and feeling like I was prego (took at least 6 tests). After I stopped using it, it took a year before I had my periods again. The weight came off easily but I was really freaked out that it took so long to get my period again, that stuff is bad news!!!!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    HATED this *$%@#&!!!! I SO regret ever getting it. I know everyone is different, but for me it was HELL. It was also the cause of much of my weight gain, although I know I didn't help it any either.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Ive been on it for years, it keeps me sane.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've had it for 2 years and love it. No TOM so no pain/grouchiness or mess. I think its great :) am going to try the implant next - same hormones and only one trip to the nurse in 3 years!
  • beckbop
    beckbop Posts: 75
    Options
    ive had it for three years now, and after reading into it just now, ive realised that 99% of my problems are caused by that. i will definitely never ever be getting it again!!!

i would rather be thin and have cramp, than be fat, depressed, tired, moody and all the other side effects that i get!

also, doctors dont seem to tell you that you should stop getting it after three years as it causes further problems with pregnancy and periods.

X
  • Beijos
    Beijos Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was on it for over 5 years and never had any problems. I am off it now, but loved it while I was on it. No periods, and my mood swings seemed to always be at a contast level. Now that I'm on the pill my moods are every which way.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i have been on it 2 years no problems, well unless yo consider no period, I personally consider that a plus, and i will continue to be on it.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    As with any medication it affects different people differently. I was on the pill for a while and I'm forgetful so I switched to the shot.... I used it for about 4 years and I have made the decision to come off it. It made me have severe mood swings, I gained a ton of weight and it made me very depressed... not to mention I lost my sex drive. I don't like telling people not to get it or that they should get it because like I said everyone reacts differently. I have always had a problem with hormonal BC, but there are plenty of women that swear by it. Its really a personal decision, but I highly recommend doing a ton of research and talking to your OB/GYN about all your options.
  • misathin
    misathin Posts: 6
    Options
    I know everyone is different but for me it was hell. I took it for 2 yrs and after 6mo no TOM which was nice yes however it took me 6 yrs to get pregnant and an 80lb weight gain, along another 3 yr struggle to get my second kid and now I'm a yr into another struggle to get another kid. I am working my butt of to get the weight down but it's taken over a year to get 20- lbs off. If I happen upon anyone thinking to get this I do my best to talk them out of it just so they dont have to go thru the nightmare i've been thru. These last 10 years have been extremely horrible, hard and depressing all because of that stupid shot.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I took it for 18 months, never again. And especially not advised if you have ever suffered depression before. I had to have my Mirena IUD removed due to a rare complication. I miss it :( I hate the pill! I cant use the patch because Im allergic to adhesive. I went through 3 types of pills to find one that didnt make me a moody witch. But Im HORRIBLE at remembering my pill
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for about 18 months. For the most part, I have no problems. Only major problem I had was cutting it close to being late with a shot and had a period for 8 weeks. During that time, i was gunna give it some time and if it didn't regulate, I was gunna get off the shot..but it did, so I was okay with it. I will have little to light periods in between, no biggie. I'm not having cramps that much, no longer aching so I feel thats the only real benefit I got out of it. I feel safe being on it for the time being, still continue to lose weight. I'm planning on staying on it for another year or two, then getting off it while my fiancee and I are planning our wedding, maybe being less active with one another until our wedding night after that point..then we hope to try for a baby possibly after that point. After we are done trying altogether, I'll look into safer ways for birth control and not using the shot again..right now, I like it..but i don't want to be on it forever..
  • gibsons
    gibsons Posts: 24
    Options
    Every female is different and every female responds differently to hormonal birth control. I used Depo for 13 years with no ill effects, came off for two years and had a bone density scan (no problems), and have happily been using Depo again for the past 2 years. I don't do well with pills (forgetting, nausea, etc.) and am not inclined to try an IUD. Every woman should make her decision based upon personal preference and in consultation with her doctor.
  • be_kris
    be_kris Posts: 47
    Options
    ^^ agreed. I've been on it for 2 years, accidentally forgot one time, and got a period right away. Went back on the next month and haven't had a problem... I love it!!
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    I had this after my daughter was born 12 years ago. Gained 70 lbs in 3 months, was put on prozac and contemplated suicide (would have tried it if my husband wasn't so observant and took me to the dr to figure things out). Some people love it, my body did not
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've been on the depo shot for 6 years now and haven't had any complications. I no logger have periods or cramping, nor can I blame this weight gain on the shot because during my senior year of high school I was the slimmest I've ever been my "adult life" and then started eating poorly and stressing out more as college life progressed.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Rebecca I feel you!! I always advocate AGAINST this alternative for birth control. Its AWFUL!