This Might Be TMI - Going #2

Options
Hi All,

I've been eating very healthy for about 5 months now, and have lost 40 pounds, with 28 more to go to my goal weight & BMI. However, I am starting to have more frequent issues with constipation. I track my diet religiously on here, and make sure to meet my daily fiber quota (between food & fiber supplements), I take docusate stool softeners daily (non-stimulant), drink tons of water (at least 64 oz a day), drink daily prune juice, and have incorporated vastly more fruits and veggies into my diet than I've ever eaten in my life. And, despite all of this, it's like I'm shutting down as far as bowel movements. After a week or so it gets so uncomfortable that I end up taking an actual stimulant laxative. I know it is not ideal to do that so I have been doing it as little as possible (once a week for the past 3 weeks), but that's the only way I can get a complete bowel movement. The rest feel strained and incomplete, if they happen at all.

What should I do?

Replies

• GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Visit a doctor.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Fiber (keep in mind there are 2 kinds) - hydration - dietary fat + activity.

Are you missing something from the list above?

Both kinds of fiber are good, but for "#2" you want insoluble fiber.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/insoluble-soluble-fiber

See a doctor. You shouldn't need regular "help." In fact regular help is not a good thing.

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    How much food are you eating daily? I've found that the less I put in, the less output I have. Have you developed a dependence on the laxative? Are you eating enough fat?

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. You should not be taking stool softeners weekly, and definitely not laxatives. Go see a doctor.
  • walking_dead_gal
    walking_dead_gal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Making doctor appointment now. Thanks, everyone!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fat, and overall calories? When you take in less, there is less to come out. Likewise, fats can be important too. Too much fibre can be constipating, and docusate is not intended for daily use for any length of time. I agree that seeing your doctor would be appropriate at this time. Have them help you sort out what's going on and develop a plan before this becomes a serious complication, or rule out any underlying health concerns. Consider slowing down your rate of loss as well.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your fiber is good. How is your fat? If it's too low you'll have trouble moving along. Have you added anything into your diet in the past few months? Any supplements, protein powders, etc?

I had the same problem. I ended up needing to go to the GI doc. I hear you on the laxatives. I could barely move after 5 days. They were a necessity.
  • nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber and not drinking enough water may cause constipation. Other than that if nothing works, visit the doctor
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

How many grams of fat are you eating per day? :grey_question::grey_question:

• walking_dead_gal
    walking_dead_gal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

How many grams of fat are you eating per day? :grey_question::grey_question:

My daily fat goal is 40g and I am meeting that consistently.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any medications? There are some that can cause constipation, like opioids.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Taking a creatine pre-workout helps me.

and I'm only 10% joking
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I find if I eat too many protein bars I get backed up
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Dates! Eat a date at the end of every meal. Try that for a couple days.

They're nutrient dense, so it'll screw with your diet, but it's healthier to have a regular BM schedule.

EDIT:

Maybe you should see a doctor.

Open up your diary.
  • emmarrgh
    emmarrgh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    See a Doc. I've had constipation after I had my son and it's no joke - I had to go to the ER for abdominal pain (like 9/10 on the scale of pain) and vomiting. After a battery of tests I was glad it was 'only' constipation, but I had no idea it could get that bad. They gave me magnesium citrate and told me to stay by the toilet, but that didn't work. The only thing that ended up working was a strong cup of coffee (I had been up all night in the ER so I needed it).