Slow gut?

I don't know how to ask about this without being blunt. I have started taking a women's multivitamin again as I noticed through logging that I am not getting enough from the foods I eat.

The problem is that I noticed after cutting down to one cup of coffee a day (coffee, you know...gets things going for me) my gut is slow again. I'm backed up..I don't log my water but u am ALWAYS drinking so that can't be the issue. I just get plain old constipated even with paying particular attention to eating enough fiber.

Does anyone else go through this? Any ideas? The vitamin does make sure I get plenty of iron and since I've taken iron pills before I know that that also backs me up...I'm just not sure which direction to go with this.

Background info : I've never been very regular after my 2 cesareans. ..one 7 years ago and one 4.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2017
    How much fiber do you get per day? How much fat?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Cutting fatty foods definitely had me backed up in a major way for a little while, but my "gut" got caught up eventually.
  • KatrinaCaroline
    KatrinaCaroline Posts: 8 Member
    I'm below the 30% fat recommendation easily daily..my fiber I am usually within 5g of the recommended...fiber supplement? I'm not a fan of popping supplement after supplement...
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    How many grams of fat? You need it.

Is it consistent or just a problem the past week?

I HAVE gone through this. At first, upping my fat helped. Along with coffee and an abdomen massage.

Eventually it got so bad I had to go to the GI doc. I'm on meds now. Even still, they don't always work. It sucks. It got the the point I would be embarrassed to go out on dates by Friday, because I looked pregnant.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    It may help to play with your macro percentages. Increasing fats and decreasing carbs (without going low carb). Avocados is a good example of adding fats into your diet. Also play with your fiber intake - Leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables tend to be easier to digest, or drink something like v8 or veggie smoothies. There are also teas that help get your system going.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    If the multivitamin contains iron it can make you constipated/slow gut motility, as you mentioned.

More fibre & water and even more exercise can help but see a pharmacist or doctor if you are concerned or need something to get things moving again.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Cutting coffee may be the culprit (I can't drink it as it sends me screaming to the toilet!) And the multi vitamin tablet may contain calcium which can bung you up,and (as mentioned above)iron.
    I put flaxseed on my porridge (oatmeal)which helps,as does drinking enough clear fluids/water