Embarrassed myself

Options
Hello,

I went to the gym today and was doing back squats. I did a couple without a spotter and then someone came up and was my spotter. I was trying to go up from the squat position and couldn't lift it. I think I landed on my spotter's foot and felt so embarrassed. I then saw the guy with like a band aid (don't know of he had it before he helped me out or not) on one of his toes and feel so bad because I might have caused an injury on him. I wanted to say sorry but couldn't see him afterwards. I embarrass easily and the anxiety is stressing me out because someone got injured because of me.
I'm afraid of running into him again or going to work out because I feel like I made a fool of myself.

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You didn't make a fool of yourself . . . this person offered his assistance with the risk of maybe not being very much of an assistant :) One of my non-New Year resolutions is to not take myself so seriously. When/if you see him again, just smile, he knows you didn't try and set out to injure him.

Unless, 911 was necessary you really didn't do any major injury to him, he could also just have really sensitive toes :*
  • jwknight67
    jwknight67 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It happens in the gym. Nothing to be embarrassed about. He prevented you from getting a possible serious injury.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Do you Squat really heavy? As
    In powerlifting 1 rep max heavy? If not you could squat in a squat rack or rack with catchers and then if you can't get out the bottom u just drop it down. I wouldn't feel comfortable squaring with a spotter. Anyway to answer u q if he was spotting u and u trod on his foot I am sure he is fine don't worry about it no need to be embarised
  • vicky210392
    vicky210392 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I don't think 911 was necessary, he was walking just fine! But yeah I'll try not to take myself so seriously!
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Awww I totally get where you are coming from ..... if you see him again just go up to him and ask him. I'm sure he knows you felt bad and that's the risk we take spotting someone!! Time will pass and you will forget about it. Just don't let it stop u from going to the gym!!!
  • vicky210392
    Options
    rdl81 wrote: »
    In powerlifting 1 rep max heavy? If not you could squat in a squat rack or rack with catchers and then if you can't get out the bottom u just drop it down. I wouldn't feel comfortable squaring with a spotter. Anyway to answer u q if he was spotting u and u trod on his foot I am sure he is fine don't worry about it no need to be embarised

It was a one rep max yeah

• rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

That's fair enough......I see people spotting on sets of 5+ I just don't get that
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who gets hideously embarrassed at the smallest things, and it sticks with me, so I totally feel you. Don't let it stop you, though! He offered, and the risk was there and it doesn't sound like you crippled him.

What generally helps for me is to imagine how I would have felt/reacted if the positions were swapped. If you'd been spotting someone and they stepped on your foot (even if you had a sore toe), how would you feel? I reckon you'd be fine, you'd probably feel a bit bad for them.
  • vicky210392
    Options

That's fair enough......I see people spotting on sets of 5+ I just don't get that

I did 5 sets of 3 and was feeling cocky so I went for a one rep max