Explain please

Options
So my normal calories are at 1470.

However today I burned 700 calories at the gym. So now it says 1560-728+700=1532.

How many calories do I have remaining? 1532 seems like a lot. It's dinner time and then maybe 1 snack before bed. I can't hit that 1532 before then. I'm still fullish from lunch.

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    You have 1532 calories left, give or take (I would only count 350 of the 700 from exercise). But if you're not hungry, you aren't required to eat all of those calories. You can bank them until a day that you are hungry or want a more calorie dense meal.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    What were you doing to burn 700 calories? I find it hard to burn 400 in an hour jogging/walking intervals.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    What were you doing to burn 700 calories? I find it hard to burn 400 in an hour jogging/walking intervals.

This also peaked my interest. I used to have to hike for nearly 2 hours to hit 700 calorie burns.

If you're going of what a machine says or MFP says, you should probably reduce that number to half.
  • ksmommy5
    ksmommy5 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

It was a bootcamp. I asked what to put in mfp and she said around 600 to 800. I just changed it. I put it down to 450 to justify my skill level. So my calories went down. I will just bank my normal 1470 and call it a Win?
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    You can bank them for tomorrow when you may need them
  • ksmommy5
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

But mfp doesn't carry them over for me correct? So let's say I end up with a log of 1300 of my 1500. Mfp won't show those 200 tomorrow it's up to me to remember I have an extra 200?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ksmommy5 wrote: »

But mfp doesn't carry them over for me correct? So let's say I end up with a log of 1300 of my 1500. Mfp won't show those 200 tomorrow it's up to me to remember I have an extra 200?

Look at your weekly numbers...your body doesn't reset at midnight...energy consumption and expenditure happens on a continuum.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

I never have an issue remembering I have "leftovers", particularly on days I weight train! :)
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    This is where it comes in handy to look at weekly averages rather than just the daily calories. You can pull the week's calories in the reports and average it out.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

It was a bootcamp. I asked what to put in mfp and she said around 600 to 800. I just changed it. I put it down to 450 to justify my skill level. So my calories went down. I will just bank my normal 1470 and call it a Win?

That sounds more reasonable. I know the instructors like to say you're burning millions of calories in class to keep you coming but realistically it likely isn't happening.
  • ksmommy5
    Options

That sounds more reasonable. I know the instructors like to say you're burning millions of calories in class to keep you coming but realistically it likely isn't happening.

Ya. Good point. I will keep it to around 350 to 400 cals everytime until I know I go full Nelson then bump it up to 500.

Thanks
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Ya. Good point. I will keep it to around 350 to 400 cals everytime until I know I go full Nelson then bump it up to 500.

Thanks

I do love Boot Camp though - one of my favorite workouts. Especially when you think the instructors are trying to kill you. Great workout!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Thanks

another thing to remember is once you lose some weight and do the same thing for awhile, you will burn less calories doing the same thing.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Get an HRM that calculates calorie burn. Solves the discrepancy in calorie burn. And, it is perfectly possible to burn over 1000 calories an hour. For me, running at 5 mph burns about 1350 per hour.

It depends on heart rate. The more sustained you keep your hr high, the more calories you burn.