Uti's

Options
Just wondering if anyone has experience of these? As from last night I'm being treated for one. I have NEVER experienced anything like this.... I have all the symptoms of uti..... frequency/ difficult to pass/ only little bits coming out, chills, slight back ache and EXTREMLEY painful pelvic/ lower abdo pain. I had been drinking sooo much to try and flush out that my urinalysis came up negative but because I'm symptomatic they are treating me as having one. They gave me antibiotics and codiene ( paracetamol and naproxen not touching it, neither is hot water bottles. I've never had a uti before and I was wondering if this intense pain is common in uit's
All thoughts and experiences welcome. Thank you

Replies

• cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Did they check to see if you had a kidney infection?
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    How would they do that? They took a urine sample and did a basic urine analysis
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Isn't a kidney infection a UTI, strictly speaking?
    It's an infection of the urinary tract, but instead of only involving the urethra and bladder, it also involves the kidney(s).

Pain, like you describe, is one of the symptoms of a UTI that involves the kidneys(s).
    As far as I know, the treatment is the same. But docs can do things like a kidney ultrasound to see if the kidneys are involved.

If you don't feel better very soon, you might need to go back.
  • thielke2015
    Options
    Yes, he said if the symptoms are still the same tomorrow morning I need to go to my gp. It was so embarrassing I was in so much pain they thought I was in retention so they put a catheter in. Luckily I wasn't so they removed it. They took a dip from the catheter and it was positive for protein, ketones and blood but negative for nitrates and lucocytes
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    It's an infection of the urinary tract, but instead of only involving the urethra and bladder, it also involves the kidney(s).

Pain, like you describe, is one of the symptoms of a UTI that involves the kidneys(s).
    As far as I know, the treatment is the same. But docs can do things like a kidney ultrasound to see if the kidneys are involved.

A kidney infection - pyelonephritis - is a little more serious and painful than the standard 'uti' despite technically being urinary tract, generally requiring IV antibiotics treatment rather than being sent home on orals

OP - just replying to the quoted comment, not suggesting you have this.

If you are still concerned about your symptoms get a second medical opinion.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Interesting about the kidney thing. My mum had kidney disease, had one removed and the remaining one functions horribly. When she gets an infection it's always treated orally by the GP (unless totally resistant). Maybe it's a difference by country.

Anyway, I once had a UTI and initially thought it was a back issue my back was so painful. Ended up at the emergency doctors in the middle of the night it was so painful. Antibiotics sorted me right out. I'm not sure my urine tested either but it was so long ago, I do remember the doctor/nurse I saw being quite contemptuous of me going to out of hours which is what makes me think they didn't think it was a big deal and I was over-reacting!
  • crackpotbaby
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Interesting about the kidney thing. My mum had kidney disease, had one removed and the remaining one functions horribly. When she gets an infection it's always treated orally by the GP (unless totally resistant). Maybe it's a difference by country.

Anyway, I once had a UTI and initially thought it was a back issue my back was so painful. Ended up at the emergency doctors in the middle of the night it was so painful. Antibiotics sorted me right out. I'm not sure my urine tested either but it was so long ago, I do remember the doctor/nurse I saw being quite contemptuous of me going to out of hours which is what makes me think they didn't think it was a big deal and I was over-reacting!

I'm a Clinical Nurse in an acute hospital in Australia. A person with chronic kidney disease and a known response to oral ABs like your mother might have a pre set treatment plan in the community here too.

An individual with acute pyelonephritis would usually be treated in hospital with IVABs here. I don't know where in the world you are but most first world countries have pretty similar best practice guidelines for disease management.

Keep in mind I am referring to kidney infection not a run of the mill 'UTI' infection involving just urethra and bladder which are generally treated with oral antibiotics.

Anyhow, hardly the point. OP should get a second opinion/review if her symptoms are still concerning her. This is not a forum for medical advice.
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has experience of these? As from last night I'm being treated for one. I have NEVER experienced anything like this.... I have all the symptoms of uti..... frequency/ difficult to pass/ only little bits coming out, chills, slight back ache and EXTREMLEY painful pelvic/ lower abdo pain. I had been drinking sooo much to try and flush out that my urinalysis came up negative but because I'm symptomatic they are treating me as having one. They gave me antibiotics and codiene ( paracetamol and naproxen not touching it, neither is hot water bottles. I've never had a uti before and I was wondering if this intense pain is common in uit's
    All thoughts and experiences welcome. Thank you

You poor thing....I have had my share of those. I will pass along some info that may help. My daughter used to get them ALL the time. She spent hours and hours online trying to cure herself. She came across something from a naturopathic doctor that said that "D-Mannose" (you get it from the health food store) keeps the bacteria from clinging to the bladder walls and therefore stop the infection. D-Mannose is a natural sugar and can be taken with any medications. She bought it and as long as she takes it she has no infections. She has been infection free for a long time now. Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

A kidney infection - pyelonephritis - is a little more serious and painful than the standard 'uti' despite technically being urinary tract, generally requiring IV antibiotics treatment rather than being sent home on orals

Thus, "strictly speaking" And yes, if she's still concerned, she should revisit her doctor, rather than relying on a fitness forum.
  • crackpotbaby
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

Kidney infections don't always require IV antibiotics...in my experience. and yes, if the OP is still concerned, as I said, she should go BACK.

Huh? A second medical opinion? Not sure what you're asking.

Edit: when I hit quote the quoted section just said 'didn't she get both?'
  • thielke2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the input guys.
    i'm on oral antibiotics and done stronger painkillers and am feeling a lot more comfortable. Thanks for the heads up guys about " not seeking medical issues on a forum" i had already seen a dr and was being treated by the time i had posted on the forum! i had just never experienced a uti before a d wanted others to share their experiences..... i had no idea they could be quite so painful.