Macronutrients

Options
How do you plan to stick with your macronutrient settings? After research I determined that 50/25/25 would be best for me but now I can't seem to actually eat within those guidelines for proteins and fats. I need to eat more protein but without a lot of fat tied in with that protein. I really don't want to go over on the fat specifically. For those that have successfully tracked their macros, do you plan out your entire day in the morning in order to stay within your guidelines? Or do you have a list of snacks or side dishes that are high in one of the macros to help balance out other foods? Thanks!

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I am set at 50%P, 30%C, and 20%F

I front load most of my carbs/fats in the morning and at lunch, I drink a protein shake in the morning, after my workout, and just before I go to bed..all are high in protein (obviously) and low in fat. I plan out the majority of what I eat from morning through lunch and late at night. I work out in the afternoon so I keep my dinner options open until after my workout. I will review what I have left in the P/C/F departments to see where I need to concentrate my food intake...if I have room, I will splurge on fruit, yogurt, or nuts for fats/carbs, if not, I will tend to stick with high protein, low fat/carb options like chicken, fish, shellfish, lowfat cottage cheese, etc.

I don't worry about going too far over on fat or carbs, but I try to keep them in line...also, I don't always hit the mark on protein, but I try to get close...

One other thing...I tend to be high on my sodium and with the increased protein intake added in, I try to drink at least 15-18 glasses of water per day.
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I have mine set for 40-30-30, and mostly it works for me. But it's so easy for me to reach my fat goal and have a ton more protein left to eat. I'm curious to see what other people suggest for low-fat/high protein foods. I know most lunch meat qualifies, but it's so high in sodium. Low-fat cottage cheese is another good one I think.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese is a good option for snacks or side dish.
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I got a big bag of whey protein powder from Sam's club. They sell it at Costco too. I add it to oatmeal or make a protein shake with it. It's really hard to balance all the nutrients though. I still struggle with it. I do notice that I do much better when I plan out my day in the morning or the night before.