Options
2»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    On the acronym page link..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1069278/acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6/p1if

Can this link be updated? eta: it says "discussion not found". If someone wants more info on this topic on the page for BMR, TEF, NEAT, EAT etc..

BMR: Base or Basal Metabolic Rate For TDEE and BMR, please read this awesome post here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @psulemon

Weighs not ways in OP re muscle weighs more than fat

Your pic is a bit misleading, but the standard one...it's generally 4/5th the size not half

Which makes me think can you please add this

lose vs loose

When you lose weight, your trousers get loose.

Do one on scale weight range, particularly water weight fluctuations due to exercise, sodium, hormones

Also muscle burning so many more calories, 2 calories per lb muscle over 24 hours at rest is not that marked
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    @psulemon

Weighs not ways in OP re muscle weighs more than fat

Your pic is a bit misleading, but the standard one...it's generally 4/5th the size not half

Which makes me think can you please add this

lose vs loose

When you lose weight, your trousers get loose.

Do one on scale weight range, particularly water weight fluctuations due to exercise, sodium, hormones

Also muscle burning so many more calories, 2 calories per lb muscle over 24 hours at rest is not that marked

Thanks, I added some. I won't do loose vs lose since it's more grammar related and may of the people aren't from the US.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'd incorporate the notion, somehow, that calorie counting is not strictly necessary for weight loss. If you are in a deficit, you are in a deficit, whether you are counting or not. I'd add that only because of the confusion between CICO (the energy equation that applies to all) vs calorie counting (the actual act of weighing and measuring and tracking). Often calorie counting gets abbreviated as CICO, even though they are entirely different things.

I'd also add that there is no universal definition of a "balanced" diet - macro split is mainly a matter of personal preference, with only protein and fat having actual minimum daily requirements. Also that attempting "moderation" can be detrimental for some people, and that it is not necessary to eat "all things in moderation" (or learn how to) if you find that you do better with more limited options.

I'd also add somewhere in the whole "a calorie is a calorie" paragraph that different calorie sources have different impacts on satiety. IOW, two food options may have the exact same number of calories, but one may be far more filling and satisfying than the other.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I'd incorporate the notion, somehow, that calorie counting is not strictly necessary for weight loss. If you are in a deficit, you are in a deficit, whether you are counting or not. I'd add that only because of the confusion between CICO (the energy equation that applies to all) vs calorie counting (the actual act of weighing and measuring and tracking). Often calorie counting gets abbreviated as CICO, even though they are entirely different things.

I'd also add that there is no universal definition of a "balanced" diet - macro split is mainly a matter of personal preference, with only protein and fat having actual minimum daily requirements. Also that attempting "moderation" can be detrimental for some people, and that it is not necessary to eat "all things in moderation" (or learn how to) if you find that you do better with more limited options.

I'd also add somewhere in the whole "a calorie is a calorie" paragraph that different calorie sources have different impacts on satiety. IOW, two food options may have the exact same number of calories, but one may be far more filling and satisfying than the other.

I added some more. Let me know if you think something else should be added.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Updated.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Bump this for all the new people.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bumped and ty to the OP wish I'd read this sooner
  • Makeitso39
    Makeitso39 Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is great! I have two suggestions: in WTF the scale is going up, is it worth including the phrase 'weight loss is not linear'? As this is a frequent topic
    Also, Maybe a link to the flow chart?

This thread should be sticky! Thanks
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is good. One issue where people persistently talk at cross purposes is in the matter of net vs. total calories. Some examples:

"1200 calories is far too low!" - if that's 1200 total, it probably is too low (unless the person is very short). But if it's 1200 net and the person is eating exercise calories, it's not too low in many cases. People have enormous ding-dongs on this topic without ever clarifying if they mean total or net.

"Don't eat exercise calories!" - like the above, people will have big debates on this topic without ever clarifying if they are recommending NEAT+exercise calories (correct), TDEE with no exercise calories (correct), TDEE+exercise calories (overeating!) or NEAT with no exercise calories (undereating!). Usually these convos are a crazy mixture of people recommending sensible approaches without being clear what they mean, and people recommending (usually) NEAT with no exercise calories - which, if exercise is significant, can amount to recommending a crash diet.

"I lose weight on 1800 calories and so can you" - means "I lose weight on 1800 calories TDEE and I'm assuming your 1200 is TDEE as well" when in fact, especially with beginners, it is almost certainly NEAT (as that's the mfp default).

• frannyupnorth
    frannyupnorth Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Nice post. A little nit-pick; I think you mean "manner" not "manor"
    You should have a balanced diet
    A balanced diet refers to eating in a manor that will address your nutritional requirements; this would mean eating a variety of foods to maximize micronutrient uptake (vitamins and minerals) and eating macronutrients (carbs/fats/protein) in the manor that will satiate you and support your goals (muscle development, cholesterol issues, controlling diabetes).

Although that did make me imagine only ever dining with Penelope Keith, a British actress from early 80's TV series "To the Manor Born" to meet my nutritional requirements - possibly showing my age a bit there
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Updated.