Lunch alternative

Options
Any suggestions for alternative for lunch? I'm kicking off my diet this week and I'm trying to find an easy and healthy option for lunch. I currently eat PB&J on wheat bread which I know is not a good option. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Anything you like

I always do leftovers. I find it easiest to just grab a container and go in the mornings.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    PB&J on wholegrain bread would have been one of my suggestions for a healthy lunch.

Others - soups, salads, chili, stew, leftovers, sandwich wrap (I like wraps better than regular because I can add more veggies - basically you an wrap up a small salad in there but it's easier to eat), yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit/veggies, hummus and veggie sticks or wholegrain crackers, omelet or frittata ... whatever you enjoy and fits within your calorie/nutrition goals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do leftovers or a salad with protein on it a lot (but I just really enjoy salads). Sometimes I make a bunch of something ahead (like I roast a chicken or slowcook some lamb or pork or a turkey leg) and then use that plus various sides for lunches for the week.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I am just curious why PB&J is not a good option?
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I eat half a PB sandwich every day as part of my breakfast. On a super grainy, whole grain bread and natural peanut butter. But even regular PB on white is good as long as it fits in the calorie target. I LOVE PBJ.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I usually eat cold, leftover diced chicken with some type of raw vegetable, and either a slice of bread or a piece of fruit. Whatever you like, really. Walmart carries these Bistro salads that are under 300 calories and a tasty and filling lunch. My favorite is the Caesar salad.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    My main was a cheese sandwich today. Tomorrow I plan on a salad. Whatever fits in your calorie and nutrient goals works.
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I try to keep already cut up vegetables on hand - grilled if it's anything that's good grilled - some cooked lean protein and packets of tuna, hard boiled eggs, and cheese sticks on hand so when it's time to put lunch together, I can just toss a bunch of vegetables in a bowl, add protein, grab an egg or cheese, and I'm done. I also end up adding things to salad that aren't "traditional", like cubed bits of potato, nuts, etc., to keep from getting bored.

Also, leftovers are good, too.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    PB&J on wholegrain bread would have been one of my suggestions for a healthy lunch.

Others - soups, salads, chili, stew, leftovers, sandwich wrap (I like wraps better than regular because I can add more veggies - basically you an wrap up a small salad in there but it's easier to eat), yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit/veggies, hummus and veggie sticks or wholegrain crackers, omelet or frittata ... whatever you enjoy and fits within your calorie/nutrition goals.

This. Nothing wrong with your current sandwich but peanut butter is pretty calorie dense so you just need to be mindful of serving size :)
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've started eating Progresso light soups for lunch some days. They're all less than 250 calories per can. Today I had the Light Italian Style Meatball. It was 160 calories for the whole can. Tasty and filling.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I had a really good sandwich today. I used a packet of low sodium, water packed tuna, 1/2 TBSP of light miracle whip, mixed in the tuna and put it on a toasted Brownberry pocket thin. 180 calories.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    mattdhall wrote: »
    I've started eating Progresso light soups for lunch some days. They're all less than 250 calories per can. Today I had the Light Italian Style Meatball. It was 160 calories for the whole can. Tasty and filling.

Love these soups-I have around 20 cans in the cupboard right now because my store had them on sale for .99 a few weeks ago :) I really like the chicken enchilada one-I make up the whole can and then add hot sauce and crushed tortilla chips or Fritos to it-still comes out to under 500 calories for the whole thing!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I prep proteins during the weekend so I can grab and go during the week. Usually it's chicken or steak cut up with a salad and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Today I switched up and finished up some beans in a salad instead. Lately, I've also been making my own breads with all different kinds of flours and techniques (popovers are my latest toy). So I can have a bread-like substance that has my own preferences for fiber, salt and other content.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I make a 'salad' out of 1/2 cup of corn, 1 veggie dog, cherry or grape tomatoes, English cucumber, garlic dill pickle, jarred jalapenos, and various other veggies (today, I added a scallion, a celery stalk, and a handful of bean sprouts—the white crunchy kind). I mix all that up with 1/4-cup of salsa, 1 tbsp sweet pickle relish, and 1 tbsp vegan sour cream.*

*I'm vegetarian and, while I'm not vegan, I don't eat much dairy. Obviously, if that's not you, go ahead and use real hotdog and sour cream if you like!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I had a really good sandwich today. I used a packet of low sodium, water packed tuna, 1/2 TBSP of light miracle whip, mixed in the tuna and put it on a toasted Brownberry pocket thin. 180 calories.

I also really like tuna fish sandwiches, I'll add some pickle slices and maybe some cheese.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I adore pb & j (so long as it's made with raspberry jam) so when I want it I just make sure that it fits into my day.

Totes HAS to be raspberry.
  • lafiesta
    lafiesta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome, thank you for all the ideas. The PB&J, to me, is a lot of calories for me. I will definitely try some of these ideas!
  • nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Quick lunch. A can of beans, sardine, eggs, or avocado and a bag of frozen steamable veggies or frozen rice. Another option is make your own salad. Boiled eggs, a bag of salad and homemade vinegrette or balsamic. That's of you don't have time to cook
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits in your calories for the day I see no problem with it. I don't eat peanut butter much because I can go way overboard with it especially since what my mind says is a serving and what my scale says is different and I love peanut butter! Lol
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    My fallback lunch when there's not much in the fridge or I want to prepare ahead of time:
    - Brown rice, salad (usually presliced coleslaw veggies with no dressing), tuna in chilli oil (I use Sirena tuna and drain the oil) all whacked in a lunchbox in that order. The tuna is spicy enough to flavour the whole lot so it doesn't need any extra dressing, and I just mix it up in the lunchbox before I eat it.