Preventing an aging face after weight loss.

Options
OK, so back in my twenties I lost about 65 pounds and never had a problem with excess skin. Now I'm trying to lose 50 pounds at the age of **cough, cough** 39 and I'm concerned about my face looking older when I'm done. I know it's not the most important thing and I should worry about being healthy but it is in the back of my mind. Any tips on preventing this?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Even at your age your skin will shrink some. Besides that being fat does more to make people look old than what loose skin does.
  • HerFire
    HerFire Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Agree with Mr.Fish.

But to help aging skin in general; lose weight slowly, stay hydrated, research a proper moisturizing day/night cream for your face, and also putting on sunscreen when you go out.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    I think my face looked older when I was heavier.

In addition to the tips about hydration and sunscreen, I'd add ... don't smoke and limit your alcohol consumption.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Get your hair styled in a new fresh way. Maybe buy some new make up. Stay out of the sun or apply liberal sunscreen.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting question. I had 100 lbs to loss. Almost the whole way down, my face looked younger and younger as the puffiness went away. But with the last 10 lbs, it seemed to get a bit older older looking. Eventually it either settled back down, or I just go used to it.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I imagine that I will look older with a thinner face, but then I could probably dress a bit younger if I was slim..

I love that a lot of peoples eyes really pop out in their after photos. I think that distracts from noticing more wrinkles or whatever in the face.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    *cough* almost 48 here.....while fitness does make your body look better, it can age your face. I do look older than I did 5 years ago, but then again, I am five years older......I find running makes it worse, tbh..but, none of us are getting younger. Now is the time to decide what's most important. To me, being fit and healthy (AS I AGE) is most important.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    loads of Botox ... just kidding :)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but it took me 2 years to lose my weight. I got two years older during that time. I'd be very surprised if I looked younger, or even the same, there was a lot of life going on during that period.

I wouldn't sweat it. If you're looking gaunt and haggard it has more to do with what's currently going on in your life than your weight, usually. Like, I look tired constantly, but it has nothing to do with my weight loss and everything to do with how my immune system is treating me. Get sleep, get fluid, take care of yourself, moisturize, and you'll be fine.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    iofred wrote: »

That is funny..if you like sticking needles in your face, and can't think of anything better to do with your money.

To the OP, I have a daily skin regimen, which I have followed since I was about 19...... First, lots of water EVERY day! Then, I moisturize with a 'good' skin cream every morning and night, face, neck and chest; always wash away any makeup (wear none if possible!) In the end, the wrinkles are going to come anyways. But you can try to care for your skin as best as you can in the mean time! xo
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and hate that gaunt look to a face. I agree with the above posters. Try to lose slowly. People tell me I look alot younger than I am. I don't care that much. I do alot of things, but something that helped alot with my skin was drinking aloe vera. I don't sell it and don't care. I buy a concentrated version and have a tbl morning and evening. I first tried it thinking that I'd buy one bottle and evaluate after I finished it. After a month (a bottle lasts me that long) my husband said "What are you doing? All those little wrinkles around your eyes are gone". So I just kept taking it. I first read about it on MFP. You can learn alot on here.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Im 41 and lost over 50lbs. No facial sagging at all, iv got a nice neck now and just the one chin, I think I look younger. But iv always looked after my skin if that matters. My tummy is another matter ha ha but I dont care about the rest. However I do think after a certain age we shouldnt aim for too low a weight loss.
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it...as you get healthier, you'll look healthier..thus younger.

IDK if it will help, but I've been using rose hip oil for my blemishes...at 40 I still get pimples with my cycles...people have recently told me how good my skin looks, and my face is far clearer than it used to be. The Rose hip oil is pricey, but you only need a few drops a day, and it is a great moisturizer.
  • chrissjourney
    chrissjourney Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the words/tips!
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm chocking...65 so far I'm down 52 lbs. I do notice my face has more wrinkles but I have been using cream everyday seems to help a bit. At least I am moving around again, and feel better. Never heard of drinking aloe vera, or using rose hip oil. On my way to Amazon. LOL
  • tlopes2014
    tlopes2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

That is funny..if you like sticking needles in your face, and can't think of anything better to do with your money.

To the OP, I have a daily skin regimen, which I have followed since I was about 19...... First, lots of water EVERY day! Then, I moisturize with a 'good' skin cream every morning and night, face, neck and chest; always wash away any makeup (wear none if possible!) In the end, the wrinkles are going to come anyways. But you can try to care for your skin as best as you can in the mean time! xo

There is nothing wrong with getting Botox if you think that is the right course of action for you.
    I have it done every 6 months for past 2 years. I really like it and it makes a huge difference for me.
    If you do it and don't like it, it wears off after 6 months.
    My recommendation is once you lose the weight have a chat with a certified plastic surgeon, he/she will guide you through your options (fillers or a lift may also be possible) if anything is needed. Meanwhile use a good moisturiser.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Lose slowly. There's no reason why you have to choose "your *kitten* or your face", when you get older. Just lose slowly and drink lots of water and moisturize after a warm, not hot shower at least once a day. Also healthy fats in your diet. Avocado, olive oil, flax seed, coconut oil.
    Wrinkles are gonna happen anyway, but you don't have to look like a skin suit if you're careful.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who was 40 and lost weight super fast...her face did definitely age quickly. but then over the course of a few months of keeping the weight off, it mellowed...wrinkles smoothed out and her face filled back in. I've never seen it so noticeable on anyone before. I lose super slow so there is rarely a difference other than losing extra chins along the way!
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    tlopes2014 wrote: »

There is nothing wrong with getting Botox if you think that is the right course of action for you.
    I have it done every 6 months for past 2 years. I really like it and it makes a huge difference for me.
    If you do it and don't like it, it wears off after 6 months.
    My recommendation is once you lose the weight have a chat with a certified plastic surgeon, he/she will guide you through your options (fillers or a lift may also be possible) if anything is needed. Meanwhile use a good moisturiser.

True..she could go stick a needle in her face every 6 months for two years, just like you have, and be impressed or not....or she could understand that she's getting older, age happens, we all get wrinkles eventually. But I agree, there's nothing wrong with it for the person who is ok with it. For myself, I'd rather save the cash and use the money elsewhere. To each their own! xo