what to do? Just ate way over my daily calorie allowance

Options
Hi everyone
I just totally lost control today. I wanted to come here and confess. Ive had a great 7 days, probably too strict and consuming way under my daily calorie allowance. I have logged it in today but I am so ashamed to even say how much I overate on here ;(

Is this binge a sign that my body was being underfed and thats why I caved? I am really struggling with finding a good balance here. I feel disgusted and ashamed.

How can one bounce back from this? I am planning to still go to the gym tonight where I usually burn 400 to 500 calories.

Thanks heaps in advance guys, just needed to vent and own up to this.

Replies

• teags1984
    teags1984 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes that's very true, thank you for your insight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    look at your weekly goal - if you're way under each day then this binge probably wont have put you over your weekly goal.
  • teags1984
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    That might just have been your body telling you off for underfeeding it.

It's a delicate balance: feeding your body enough for it to do what you want it to and at the same time not so much that you can still lose weight.

The point is not to be "way under" your calorie goal, it's to be at your calorie goal. So from that point of view, you just compensated that way under from the past 7 days. Look at it from a weekly point of view: take the net amount you ate these past 7 days (including today) and divide by 7. My bet is that you're still in a deficit.

So when all is said and done, just pick yourself off the ground, dust off and keep going.

To prevent such episodes in the future, make sure you hit your calorie goal. Feed that body properly. You've only got one and there's no spare parts to be had!

You're in this for the long run. If you keep on trying to sprint all the way to the end, you'll run out of energy before you even passed the first mile with who knows how many more to go. You want to lose weight safely, so that you can keep in off in the long run and starving yourself isn't going to do you any favors in this regard.

Best of luck to you! :smile:

Thank you for your positive response, that was so wonderful to read and just makes so much sense. I think a light bulb has just switched in my head. I cant thank you enough for your kind advice. I will be taking what you said on board wholeheartedly!

• teags1984
    Options
    look at your weekly goal - if you're way under each day then this binge probably wont have put you over your weekly goal.

Thank you yes I am most probably under for the week. I will stop under eating from now on to stop this cycle. Thanks again.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,721 Member
    Options
    Everything @ladyreva78 said +1.

Is your avatar picture recent? If yes, it is a picture of someone well within the normal weight range.

And large deficits are NOT recommended for people who are already lean and trying to get leaner.

Have you looked into recomposition as opposed to straight up weight loss?

Have you read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

Are you using a trending weight web site or app?
  • teags1984
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Is your avatar picture recent? If yes, it is a picture of someone well within the normal weight range.

And large deficits are NOT recommended for people who are already lean and trying to get leaner.

Have you read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

Thanks for your kind reply PAV8888.

My avatar pic is from a few days before Christmas, and I have lost 2 kgs since then. Thats so nice of you really, but if you saw my body I am still big in areas, mainly my legs and bottom. I was just trying to get in my heathy Bmi range which at the upper end of it, puts me at losing 5 more kilos (not sure of pounds)

You do raise a good point though. Maybe my body is comfortable at this weight?
    No I havent looked into recomp, though I have been reading posts on it here. Thank you for that link, I will go have a read of it now.

MFP is the only site I am on for weight loss help, I came across it a week ago. I definitley have to start eating my total daily allowance, I am finally seeing where I have been going wrong, its all starting to sink in now. I have been so programmed over the years to think that losing weight=starving and lots of sacrifices.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    teags1984 wrote: »

My avatar pic is from a few days before Christmas, and I have lost 2 kgs since then. Thats so nice of you really, but if you saw my body I am still big in areas, mainly my legs and bottom. I was just trying to get in my heathy Bmi range which at the upper end of it, puts me at losing 5 more kilos (not sure of pounds)

No I havent looked into recomp, though I have been reading posts on it here. Thank you for that link, I will go have a read of it now.

MFP is the only site I am on for weight loss help, I came across it a week ago. I definitley have to start eating my total daily allowance, I am finally seeing where I have been going wrong, its all starting to sink in now. I have been so programmed over the years to think that losing weight=starving and lots of sacrifices.

If you don't have that much too lose, it might be better not to set too large of a deficit - so I wouldn't shoot for more than half a kg per week of weight loss. It's really not necessary or sustainable to be hungry all the time and a large deficit could lead to significantly more muscle loss. When you are this close to healthy weight, you want to try and make sure that the weight you lose is really mostly just fat, so indeed looking into recomp might also be a great idea!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    5kg would be 12lbs.

Recommended size of deficit would be approximately 15% to 20% of your total daily energy expenditure.

For most people this ends up being a deficit of about 500 Cal a day (i.e. aiming for a 0.5kg (1lb) loss per week).

Your MFP goal already includes a deficit. Hence when you eat to your goal you achieve that deficit.

Of course the assumption is that both caloric intake and expenditure are logged accurately. Which is often not the case!
  • teags1984
    Options
    Right I see what you mean. Gosh I just always thought that the less I weighed, then the less I could eat and would have to go harder at exercise-the last few kgs are hard to lose. Will seriously look into recomp suggestions thanks so much!
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    One day is one day, it isn't anything to worry about. Stick to your calories, find a nice balance. Treat yourself to one meal a week of your choice, enjoy your life.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    5kg would be 12lbs.

Recommended size of deficit would be approximately 15% to 20% of your total daily energy expenditure.

For most people this ends up being a deficit of about 500 Cal a day (i.e. aiming for a 0.5kg (1lb) loss per week).

Your MFP goal already includes a deficit. Hence when you eat to your goal you achieve that deficit.

Of course the assumption is that both caloric intake and expenditure are logged accurately. Which is often not the case!

I'd suggest a deficit of 0.5lbs per week with only 12lbs to lose
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Gosh I just always thought that the less I weighed, then the less I could eat and would have to go harder at exercise-the last few kgs are hard to lose. Will seriously look into recomp suggestions thanks so much!

The above statement is correct.

MFP adjusts/is supposed to adjust your goal after the loss of approximately 5lbs/2kg to take the reduced caloric expenditure at the new weight into account.

Note that you always lose both lean mass and fat mass. The goal is to maximise the loss of fat and minimise the loss of lean.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Sadly it's what the diet industry wants you to think. I used to think that too and thought I was doomed to be fat because it's just too hard to starve myself and my body can't deal with hours upon hours of exercising. I still am fat - still need to lose around 20kg - but I'm slowly working on it. I no longer beat myself up when I'm not perfect. It's life we're talking about and you want to enjoy it as you go along. Even on a day I thought I was so far over that there's no way to go further, doing the math showed that at worst, I ate at maintenance that week, which is still a huge success.

You've gotten some really good advice from @TavistockToad and @PAV8888. It's the same advice I read when I first started here a little over a year ago and it just made sense. Reading similar things made that little lightbulb flicker on in my head and I've been successful for the first time in my life. It's slow going, with luck I'll reach my ideal weight sometimes within the next 2 years but I'll get there one day at a time.

It's hard switching from that 'all or nothing' mentality to the 'take it slow and enjoy' mentality.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    well. youve done *kitten* up.

the earth is going to stop spinning, and we are all going to die.

all cause you went over.

thanks.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

No starving and no sacrifices. Look at this as a new way of eating and not a diet. You should not suffer while losing weight that only sets a person up for long term failure. It is great that you realized you undereat then binge and if you stay close to your calorie goal that could reduce the binge eating. Your body needed nutrition and you finally listened. Don't stress about a day of going over your calorie goal and look at the weekly goal also because your body doesn't reset at midnight. Good luck
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There is nothing stating that you must eat your caloric goal within a 24 hour period. If you undereat by 100 cals for 7 days for an overall deficit of 700 cals for the week and overeat on the eighth day by 700 cals - it all works out over 8 days.

The process should be one of recognition of your personal habits - how these affect your eating and replacing bad habits with good ones.

You slipped up once - learn from it, implement corrective actions and move on.