No pain no gain

Just started exercising and I am sooo sore I can barely get up and down! What do you do for the muscle aches from exercise?? Do you rest untill the paid goes away or fight through it? TIA

Replies

• kejw08
    kejw08 Posts: 61 Member
    As long it is just muscle soreness and not legitimate pain, I just fight through it. If you rest for a couple days every time your body is sore, you won't get anywhere. If it is actual pain, your body is telling you something is wrong and you should not fight through it.
  • spiveaa
    spiveaa Posts: 1,387 Member
    Agree with everything @kejw08 just said.
    If you are just sore, your body will adjust
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    DOMS are normal if you are starting a new exercise or changing a current one (increased intensity/weight). Keep going. If you stop now either you won't go back or when you do start back up you may be where you are now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    lots of water and adequate protein. and a good stretch after your workout.
  • MirandaShelton88
    MirandaShelton88 Posts: 5 Member
    GREAT Thank y'all so much!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    If it's *just* aching then the best course of action is to keep moving and drink plenty of fluids. I find that when I get DOMs (not very often now, but last Tuesday my triceps were killing after PT the day before), if I don't keep moving then the pain just gets worse until I don't want to move. Eventually you won't get that aching unless you've ramped the intensity up or tried a new exercise.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Ibuprofen for soreness if it's getting in the way of daily function. There's no upside to being in pain.

"No pain no gain" is also an idiotic meme of lifting. It should be "no struggle, no gains".
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    For DOMS: more of the same basic movments with easy weight (as in bodyweight). Really, just using the muscles helps me - YMMV - more than anything else.