How do you love the you, you are right now??

Options
joycelyngray
joycelyngray Posts: 12 Member
edited January 2017 in Motivation and Support
I know we are all wonderfully made and we are on this healthy life journey...but how do you love the 100 lbs to loose you. The extra belly you the flabby arm you. The I think I need an extender on the plane you?????

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    It's just flesh which you re working hard to lose
    There is more to us than how we look
    My daughter doesnt love me more now that I am not obese
    Think about all the good things that you do and can do bet there are loads
  • MdwstQT
    MdwstQT Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    JoycelynGray,

I struggle with loving the right now "me" as well. It's hard not to put "XYZ" off until I lose weight as if our lives will magically change and we'll start loving ourselves from the inside out. Bluecrush84 has suggested some awesome ways to start, I love the journaling idea.

Not loving ourself where we are only hurts us in the long run. Our bodies will change but we would still have a negative mindset.

I'm going to come up with small steps into my normal routine to check in with myself. So far my ideas are affirmations, meditation, and journaling (thanx Blue)! Key for me is small steps.

Hope my ramblings helped.

• Stacie215
    Stacie215 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    <3 I just want to be size healthy. I've Always been a big girl with more health issues. After hitting 40 my body started changing & not for the good. I refuse to spend the rest of my life taking a bunch of medicine. So here I am pushing away from the tablet taking the stairs & parking as far away from the entrance door as possibly. I love me some me. XOXO
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I looked in the mirror every day and say the following:
    My self worth is not determined by my relationship with gravity or what other people's opinions are of me. There is no correlation with the vessel that takes me through life and my self love. My self worth is based on whether I'm a decent human being. And I choose to love myself because I'm worth it.

It took a little over a year of repeating this (I had it taped to my bathroom mirror) to finally actually love me.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I know we are all wonderfully made and we are on this healthy life journey...but how do you love the 100 lbs to loose you. The extra belly you the flabby arm you. The I think I need an extender on the plane you?????

I think it begins with forgiveness. For me, I had to forgive myself first and foremost for letting myself get so obese and for all of the weight-related health issues I put myself through. I also had to forgive family for some issues growing up related to food and eating habits. And lastly, I had to forgive some others from my past for painful comments made about my weight or about my eating habits. Once I was able to forgive, I was able to feel better about myself and to begin to lose the weight.

I also love your reference to the scriptures. I agree with you that it's important to remember that we are all wonderfully made.

Psalm 139:14
    I praise you, because I am wonderfully made;
    wonderful are your works!
    My very self you know.
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'd add that having a mentality of "I love me enough to make me better". It's the positive of hating the one I look so I'm changing. I find that this way of thinking helps with not having that extra _______ that you don't. You also have to accept that you don't need anyone's permission to change! You doing this ultimately for you, in whom you love but want to improve. We all have areas that we can improve and it doesn't have to be a physical change that's necessary. You can do this! You may fall, but you CAN get up and keep going! Never give up, it's a lifestyle change.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    novio50 wrote: »
    I'd add that having a mentality of "I love me enough to make me better". It's the positive of hating the one I look so I'm changing. I find that this way of thinking helps with not having that extra _______ that you don't. You also have to accept that you don't need anyone's permission to change! You doing this ultimately for you, in whom you love but want to improve. We all have areas that we can improve and it doesn't have to be a physical change that's necessary. You can do this! You may fall, but you CAN get up and keep going! Never give up, it's a lifestyle change.

This, I agree with. It's also the I love me so much, I will do everything I can to make myself better, feel better and more importantly, become healthier even if it means making sacrifice. That's what I called "tough love."
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My pappy explained it to me this way:

"Nobody else will."
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I loved the 307 pound me, but I did not love my blood sugar, so I decided to lose weight. Now I love the 200 pound me just the same although at some point I didn't, and I'm sure I will love the 150 pound me just as much.

Funny thing happens sometimes when you lose weight. The more weight I lost the more judgemental of myself I became. At one point I wished I could be 300 pounds again. Takes a bit of time for me to embrace living in a body that looks nothing like the body I lived in for my whole adult life. Taking it slow helped a lot, and I must say I'm happy to have regained the ability to feel good about myself.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you a secret: if you can't love yourself now losing weight won't fix that.

People always seem to think they'd be happier if they just lost x amount of weight. I've been a healthy weight, I've been overweight, and I've been obese. When I was a healthy weight I still wasn't happy because I couldn't love me for me. I'm never going to be perfect (and no one is).

I had to learn to embrace who I am and how I look at any size. Focus on the positive things about myself on the outside and inside.