NIGHT SHIFTS

Options
Hey there,

So I just started a job with night shifts and Im unsure how to go abouts the whole meal process. I find myself eating supper at 1700, another dinner at 0000 or 0100 and then around 0700 when I get off I dont know if im to eat another meal before I go to bed or just have a light breakfast. I have snacks inbetween each of these meals, though I work it off with the labour I do.

Is anyone out there have any tips they could give me? or anyone I could follow to take a look at your diary?

Replies

• Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    How about changing your settings to a time zone that matches your schedule? Maybe 12 or 14 hours different, then you would be waking up at Breakfast time.

On the menu under My Home > Settings >Change Time Zone
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I have worked the night shift for years and am at maintenance now, having lost 55 pounds. My diary is open. I try to eat at 2 a.m. on work nights and try to stay awake as long as possible the night before I work at night. Be prepared to be carb craving at the end of the shift. I don't eat perfectly....but then, no one does.
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Night shifts are hard. I worked them for many years and never really knew what meal I was eating and when.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I usually have dinner with my family between 7 pm and 9 pm, then have a protein shake between 1 am and 2 am, followed by a light breakfast before I lay down at 8:30 am. Sometimes I have a light snack when I wake up around 5 pm, it just depends on my mood. I also keep protein bars in my locker in case I feel like eating instead of just drinking my shake. I also try to always have veggies or a piece of fruit on hand at work just in case I am extra hungry.
  • Bluebrew
    Bluebrew Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just count my first meal as breakfast second as lunch and third as dinner regardless of what time I eat them.
  • schleeep
    schleeep Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I changed the name of my meals to four hour time slots (ie. 0000-0600, 0600-1200, ...). That way, if you have to shift your schedule, meals SHOULD end up on the correct day. I also eat "lunch" at 0200, so it stays on the right day ( I work a 1900-0700 shift).
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Just eat consistently.. I aim for every 3 hours I'm awake :) I'll add you
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I worked graveyards for over 4 years. The biggest thing I learned was that on that schedule, meal titles stop mattering. When I wasn't on a diet my favorite breakfast was a green Chile cheese burger and a root beer at midnight. When working a non-traditional schedule you just need to find what works for you. I did mfp for about 4 months while working that schedule and lost about 20 pounds before getting distracted by a fad diet and wrecking my progress. As long as you budget your calories to keep yourself satisfied during the time you're awake and stick to your goals, you will make progress.