Green tea!?

Options
I love green tea! I drink around 5 cups a day as it's just my hot beverage. I've read numerous arrivals about how it helps with weight loss? But I also was watching a documentary and a nurse got asked if green tea helps lose weight and she said "If it did make you lose weight, do you not think we'd be funding it" meaning the NHS. What do you think??

Replies

• _Crackers_
    _Crackers_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it with milk like I do my coffee. Less liquid cals and its better then drinking hot water. So for me it's good for weight loss regardless of any health benefit that may be there.
  • Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I just love it! I'm just glad it is healthy because I don't think I could give it up
  • Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Tea in general is a great craving-buster for me. I drink it between meals to curb the mindless snacking. Sipping some chai right now...mmmm...

It's a life saver lol it's tasty I can't make a day without it hehe
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Caffeine in tea (not just green) and coffee is the "active" ingredient that MAY contribute to weight loss by increasing energy and metabolism while also supressing appetite.

Hard to measure how much caffeine you're in ingesting unless you are taking it in pill form. It's also possible to take too much caffeine, which can cause the jitters or an elevated heart rate and contribute to an addiction. Pregnant women and people w/heart problems are at risk for excess caffeine.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Me too! I've read all sorts of articles about it being helpful for weight loss, not sure if it truly Is but I drink tea (all different kinds) anytime I am about to "boredom eat" it makes me feel like I'm doing something healthy AND fighting cravings... so in my case it's definitely great for weight loss :) I don't put in any sweeteners or milks... I just buy flavors that are naturally sweeter so that I have lots of choices.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea as a no-calorie alternative to (yucky) black coffee.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It's a drink that has no magical weight loss properties other than being low/no calorie.

So much this
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I absolutely detest green tea :confounded: If it had any magical weight loss properties I'd be drinking it by the gallon... While holding my nose. If only weight loss was as easy as just drinking a few cups of green tea everyday.
  • Kuulei8089691
    Kuulei8089691 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out nermous teas and their benefits. I explore my teas to aid what I'm reaching for. Mostly no caffine and a bit of honey it can make a great hot or iced drinks.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Check out nermous teas and their benefits. I explore my teas to aid what I'm reaching for. Mostly no caffine and a bit of honey it can make a great hot or iced drinks.

For what are you reaching that this will aid?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Green tea *extract* was found in clinical studies to have a minor effect on metabolism when taken in very, very large amounts.

Woo-meisters and charlatans grabbed onto this with both hands and started trumpeting that green tea was the latest weight loss miracle.

This!
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Aside from being low calorie green tea has no magic weight lose properties. I watched a UK TV show about it and the quantity you need to have to help weight loss is huge and really not possible. I drink it every day as a water substitute as I like it
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    As others have said, there's nothing magic about it, and it won't make the lbs fall off.

It does however stop me from drinking garbage. I could easily drink 4-8 cans of coke a day. I now have around 2-3 cups of tea and they help me throughout the day but they weren't the reason i lost weight. A calorie deficit is how i lost weight =)