What's the big deal about 1,200?

Options
1,200 calories of course. I know it's the bare minimum you should eat, but most people preach it's unhealthy. I never really knew that until just recently. Maybe because I struggle to even consume 1,200 a day? Anyways, my question for you is do you think it's healthy? Why or why not? :)

Replies

• LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My mfp is set at 1390 per day. Over the last 3 weeks, this being my 4th, ive noticed im eating less and less andd my actually daily in take is about 1100, however this is when im at work due to set breaks etc but come saturday nigjt and sunday i have allowed my self a choc bar so when comes to an average daily it works out at 1260 (well that was last week). I feel fine . I feel better and enjoy my food alot more.
    This of course is not for everyone.
    I however i make sure i eat at least 1100 a day just so my body doesnt go in to starvation mode.
  • mfpmishka
    mfpmishka Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Depends on size and activity level. Can be great for some, way too small for others. I'm 5'3 and 125, so if sedentary it's about right for me. But since I'm not sedentary (training for a marathon) would be a stupid amount of calories that undercut my training goals and leads to unnecessary muscle loss.
    EXACTLY!

• msweeks83
    msweeks83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So I put in my information when I started MFP again after a few years because I have gained a lot, it said I need to consume 2700 calories a day (33yrs - 5'9" - 310.8) that was on the 1st of Jan. I have been eating a lot better than I was, one cheat meal a week, but have been averaging about 1100 calories. I mean even doing a slim fast diet only gets you to 1200 calories if your following it 100%.

But my question is this. Can you eat healthy low calorie foods all day and be well nutrified without having to hit such a high calorie number? By the way Im down 23 pounds as of this morning, and I rarely feel hungry during the day. I do a bit at night right before i go to sleep but i use water to combat that.

Any advice would be great, as Im losing some weight but I want to do it safely and make sure Im not going to damage my body in the long run
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1'' and a few years ago I went from 198 to 130 lbs eating 1400. I was pretty miserable eating that little and losing about 3 lbs per week because I was very active. (I've since learned a lot and know better, but at the time I thought since I was eating "more than 1200" I was ok.)
    For me 1200 would be way too little and put me in a huge deficit, and it would be very hard for me to stick with mentally.
    For other people 1200 may be what they need to create a deficit, there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I'm tall and 1200 calories would make me miserable as well as have a negative health effect for me.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I think it depends on WHAT you eat that makes it unhealthy. If that 1,200 consists of nutrient dense food it won't be bad for you.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Refugees in camps are reduced to 1600 calories when supplies are scarce. Eating too little doesn't do your metabolism any favours - you set yourself up to need to eat that little forever to maintain. It is difficult to get sufficient nutrition on 1,200 calories every day.

I *net* around my target daily (1350), but eat around 1500-1700 most days, and am losing a pound a week. That's perfect for me. I do use Google Fit to adjust my activity - it counts my steps and even on a day where I don't do that much (just walking around to and from my desk job, plus maybe a 20-30 min errand at lunch) it bumps it up 200 calories.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    that number just came from the fact that most people have a difficult time getting proper nutrients with less calories. It can be done, but you have to be very careful what you eat.

The other reason is that unless you are very small framed, most people would lose weight too quickly on less than 1200 calories. Losing weight quickly has its pros and cons, but I think most people can agree that the slower the better unless you are at risk due to being overweight.

Personally, if you can fit your nutrients into 1200 or less, and don't lose too quickly, then there is nothing wrong with it - especially for a short term like 3-6 weeks or so. Just make sure you are getting your nutrition goals correct.
  • cambridgestylist
    cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago, long before I found MFP, I did a strict 1200 calorie diet for about a year. I'm not short or petite in any way, and I'll admit it was very hard at times. I just thought 1200 was the number anyone would eat on a diet. I basically lived on Lean Cuisene, frozen vegetables, hard boiled eggs and peanut butter and jelly on diet bread.

I'm sure if someone is creative or a good cook they can work it out so that they are eating a better variety. There isn't anything wrong with the foods I was eating, I have Lean Cuisine for lunch now. The problem is that it's all I was eating. I lost weight very quickly but it was in the long term unsustainable for me.

I had no idea about eating back exercise calories back then, and I was working out very hard. I like the MFP way much better. Right now I have a goal of 1340 calories a day and I eat all of my exercise calories back. It definitely feels healthier and I'm losing weight steadily. I'm all about MFP!