low cal protein ideas

Options
jenmcgraw
jenmcgraw Posts: 40 Member
I need 45 more grams of protein but dont want to add a lot of cals... any ideas??? thx

Replies

• ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump I would love to hear some of these ideas smiles
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are great. Lean Meats/Fish and almonds good too.

Greek Yogurt and Cottage work great!

Beat of Luck!

FYI = Protein Shakes should have 25 grams or more of protein, less than 200 calories!
  • sasham100
    sasham100 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are the quintessential low calorie protein. I happen to really like them, though I understand a lot of people find them bland. The trick, at least for me, is to add a lot of pepper and a bit of salt. Also, if you eat red meat, bison (aka buffalo) is great. It tastes similar to steak but has a much lower fat content and is usually a comparable cost. I also really like fish and shrimp. They are low calorie and cook really quickly, which is a plus when you are running short on time.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been loving two burger patties cooked on my Foreman with a slice of cheese in between. You can also make it an unwich by putting this between two lettuce leaves.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    Eggs are great, I love edamame (just ate some, in fact), protein bars, and greek yogurt.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    Eggs are great, I love edamame (just ate some, in fact), protein bars, and greek yogurt.
  • hannavasgreen
    hannavasgreen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like Jennie o turkey bacon.....3 slices are 60 calories and has 9 grams of protein.

Also egg beater egg whites....2 servings are 50 calories and has 10 grams of protein.

I get most of my protein during breakfast :)
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Any lean meat or fish will do the best in my opinion. Poultry and certain fish have some of the lower fat content, which means more protein per calorie.
  • midonhau
    midonhau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Tuna is a great option....It is high in protein.

You could add a boiled egg (extra protein), a little mayo, and anything else you like( corn, raisins, celery etc) and you have a yummy tuna salad for dinner ;o)
  • kslindner
    kslindner Posts: 107
    Options
    I just started drinking protein shakes because I'm a vegetarian and wasn't getting enough protein. Now I meet and sometimes even go over my daily protein allowance. :)
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Nuts or peanut butter. Few calories, plenty of protein.
  • keith863
    keith863 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think egg-whites are best but I don't know how to cook them and they're kinda gross to me for some reason, so for me whey protein powder is the easiest. I've been buying the GNC brand (but any good brand is fine of course), for which 2 scoops with water would give you 40g of protein and 220 calories, and very low in fat at just 3g.

Other than whey, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, salmon, canned tuna, broccoli.

Good luck!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    turkey is pretty high in protein, and is very lean. Also, don't overlook jerky--high in protein, low in cals, but, be careful of the sodium. A lot of the veggie burgers / chicken / sausage have a lot of protein as well with not many calories.
  • jenmcgraw
    jenmcgraw Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas!!!!