Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I really wish MFP was easier to navigate, Help

price0909
price0909 Posts: 50 Member
The site is so generic and outdated. Its hard to navigate and adding foods and keeping foods you eat often is so tedious.

I want to take foods listed and change the names. ie: instead of milk being under 'Kirkland Brand Milk...' I could put it under 'Milk - Kirkland..' My frequent used list is useless because of this. I just have to search for items.

It is always defaulted to Frequently Used.. which is fine however there are things I havent used in ages and things i use more often now are not on the list..

I want this to work for me. What am I doing wrong.

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Have you read through the Help/FAQ articles yet? There are tips on how to change settings, such as setting your default Add Food tabs to Recent or Frequent, or looking at the lists by a specific Meal or by All Meals. As with anything, there is a learning curve and it does get easier as you go forward. That does not mean that I think MFP is perfect (far from that). It is a decade old relational database that needs a good overhaul.

I suggest reading through these articles and others.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/topics/455840-food-diary-and-food-database/articles
  • ianhush
    ianhush Posts: 1 Member
    Whilst it is a bit of a pain it is true that it does get easier as you get familiar with it. Having said that, it could do with a bit of a revamp to make it easier.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    if you want to change the names - make your own food with that name and keep it only for you
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    have you tried the scanner on the phone app? It helps find items more quickly. Once your frequent foods are populated it becomes easier.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    also if its food combos you use frequently then set them up as meals - i.e. my evening cereal is a meal because then it auto adds in the portion size that I eat
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    price0909 wrote: »
    The site is so generic and outdated. Its hard to navigate and adding foods and keeping foods you eat often is so tedious.

I want to take foods listed and change the names. ie: instead of milk being under 'Kirkland Brand Milk...' I could put it under 'Milk - Kirkland..' My frequent used list is useless because of this. I just have to search for items.

It is always defaulted to Frequently Used.. which is fine however there are things I havent used in ages and things i use more often now are not on the list..

Don't concern yourself with unnecessary details. Find "Milk 1% - 8oz" and enter. Once you log with some level of repetition you'll find the same entries in your history.

You can customize your meal entry as well. My diary is open if you need something to work off of. There is also the mobile app and scanner which is wonderful.

Starting out just make sure you are logging everything. It gets to be second nature once you get into it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    price0909 wrote: »

Don't concern yourself with unnecessary details. Find "Milk 1% - 8oz" and enter. Once you log with some level of repetition you'll find the same entries in your history.

You can customize your meal entry as well. My diary is open if you need something to work off of. There is also the mobile app and scanner which is wonderful.

Starting out just make sure you are logging everything. It gets to be second nature once you get into it.

Or better yet, the entry based on USDA info imported by MFP (you can tell that it's not user-created because it has a wide variety of serving options, including both mass and volume):

Milk, lowfat, fluid, 1% milkfat, with added vitamin A and vitamin D